Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Beginner Training Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
luishg
Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2005 2:23:47 PM
Hi,

Currently I'm starting my learning journey into stock analysis and and charting. My question is regarding your learning material and which ones would be adecuate and the more basic ones for me to start.

Thanks,

Luis H. Gonzalez
Craig_S
Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2005 2:25:05 PM

Worden Trainer

I am going to move this to the Market Talk forum so others can recomend books and such. If I misread your question and you are looking for more tutorials on the program itself, let me know.

- Craig
Here to Help!
ljoncape
Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2005 4:32:14 PM
Read Vic Sperandeos "Trader Vic-Methods of a Wall Street Master." I use it as my trader's "bible". Also, William J.O'Neil's books on CANSLIM methodology and a host of other subjects are must reads. You can find them on the IBD website. They served as my initial reference books for me as I started trading. Great thing is they are relatively inexpensive and much easier to utilize than some other books you will find in the investment section of a book store. Educate yourself as much as possible and start small. Good luck!
rmr1976
Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2005 5:44:13 PM
I'll recommend 2 books:

1. Van Tharp--Trade your way to financial freedom. Despite the hype in the title, this is a good book to get you thinking as a trader does.

2. David Cassidy-It Is When you Sell That Counts--Provides numerous reasons on how to decide if and when to sell. He advocates above market sell orders, as opposed to stops, especially for taking profits. Very good information here, especially for a beginner.

Sir Knowledgable Skeptic
2hands4u
Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2005 7:29:41 AM
Here are two that I recommend for beginners:
1. Introduction to Technical Analysis-Martin Pring
2. Profitable Candlestick Trading-Stephen W. Bigalow

Don't start trading with real money. Find a brokerage firm that has 'virtual trading account'. This allows you to practice without risking real money. Then practice, practice, practice and practice some more.

Good Luck!
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, May 18, 2005 10:37:05 AM

Worden Trainer

You may want to check out Don Worden’s recommended book list:

The Battle for Investment Survival by Gerald Loeb (republished in 1996 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.)

Confessions of a Stock Operator by Lefevre (Wiley & Sons) A must read novel, fictionalized biography of legendary stock trader Jesse Livermore)

Trader Vic - Methods of a Wall Street Master by Victor Sperandeo (A practical trader & an original thinker. Interesting strategies.)

Beating the Street by Peter Lynch (Gives a good feel for a fundamental approach to the market.)

How to make money in Stocks by William O'Neil (An interesting strategic approach to the market)

The New Contrarian Investment Strategy by David Dreman (An excellent book about decision making in the stock market)

The Money Masters by John Train (and any of his other books, which are fun to read and will give you ideas)

Stock Market Logic by Norman G. Fosback (Almost an investment encyclopedia in its own time)

Technical Analysis Explained by Martin Pring (Pring is an excellent technician, particularly for one who leans toward the mechanical. Any serious technician should read this book.)

Trading for a Living by Alexander Elder (Very useful tools for the trader to experiment with. Enthusiastically presented, but not a guide to making a living. Commodity oriented but still useful to the stock trader.)

Winning on Wall Street by Martin Zweig (Zweig is too successful to ignore. And this is an excellent book.)

The Market Wizards by Jack D. Schwager (More excellent insights)

Schwager on Futures Technical Analysis by Jack D. Schwager (More excellent insights)

The Mutual Fund Wealth Builder by Hirsch (Even if not interested in funds)

The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham (Either this or Graham & Dodd’s Security Analysis to develop a feel for classical fundamental analysis)

The Technical Analysis of Stock Trends by Edwards & Magee (Sometimes called the "bible" of technical analysis. For serious chart readers it is an absolute must. Think of it as the "original" book on pattern chart reading. It is nevertheless replete with logical errors.)

The Technical Analysis Course By Thomas A. Meyers (A step-by-step learning program for investors and traders. Beginners respond very well to this book.)

Everything You've Heard about the Market is Wrong by William H. Gross, one of the largest bond managers in the world. Down to earth observations by a brilliant man. He specializes in bonds but has profound insight into the stock market as well. An added attraction is that this book is current (published in 1997) and much of what he has to say still applies to existing problems.

Contrary Investing by A.M. Gallea and William Patelon III. Nicely organized and covers a lot of ground. Could be a good first book for the serious beginner. Read it and you'll have a good overall knowledge of the stock market.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
luishg
Posted : Monday, May 23, 2005 1:29:03 AM
Thanks to all that replied. When my order arrive I will have the next 7 months really busy.

Looking forward to new knowledge !!!

Thanks