Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

ADVANCE DECLINE VOLUME LINE Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
texastyphoon
Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2011 2:27:51 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Dear Sirs,Since the AD Volume Line is a market breadth indicator, do you have a designated indicator for me to use intraday or do I need to write a formula for it. I am only interested in the NYSE. The AD Volume Line is based on Net Advancing Volume, which is the volume of advancing stocks less the Volume of Declining stocks. Net Advancing Volume is positive when advancing volume exceeds declining volume and negative when declining volume exceeds advancing volume. The AD Volume Line is a cumulative measure of Net Advancing Volume. It rises when Net Advancing Volume is positive and falls when Net Advancing Volume is negative. I want to do it on an intraday basis, say a 1,5 or 15 min time period and I will also want to plot it against the NYSE pricesAs a cumulative indicator, the AD Volume Line is a running total of each period's Net Advancing Volume. The actual value of the AD Volume Line depends on the starting point for the calculation. The AD Volume Line has to start somewhere so the first calculation is simply Net Advancing Volume for one period. The next calculation is the AD Volume Line value for the previous period plus Net Advancing Volume for the current period. I am interested in 2 things: (1) the direction of the line above or below a zero line and (2) also in the value of the volume line. A rising Breadth Line indicates advancing volume vs. declining volume is increasing; A declining Breadth Line indicates declining volume vs, advancing volume is decreasing; A Breadth Line near the zero line or +/- 150,000 would be neutral; A Breadth Line value above +200,000 and rising is decisively bullish; A Breadth Line value below -200,000 and declining is decisively bearish; Readings greater than +/- 200,000 and trending are ideal for a trend to continue.I am sure you know all this, I am just trying to help you understand what I am looking for.Thanks,Mike
bbruin
Posted : Sunday, August 28, 2011 4:51:14 PM
If you click on Help in TC2000, there is a section on Advance Decline Lines - many different ones seem to be available.