Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Scans and PCFs Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
ucsense
Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 3:47:13 PM
Because of the erratic movement of the market, I have not utilized Scans and PCFs for quite some time. At this time, I am now interested, however, in creating a PCF and running that PCF on a daily basis. The stocks I am interested in are crossing dowm through the 20 SMA with a volume surge - not certain what the surge should be to affect the movement of the stock. I suppose this should be adaptable to the situation....

I am not even sure I would know how to conduct a PCF search once this PCF is operative. Also not certain how Scans and PCFs differ and how they are each activated. Need your assistance...

I appreciate your help! Thank you for being there for us...

ucsense
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:55:20 PM

Worden Trainer

In TC2000 version 12, I would probably add the 20-Period Simple Moving Average to the chart, click on Price History and select Create Condition and choose Price History vs Moving Average 20 | Crossing Down Moving Average 20. It is easier to do than creating a Condition Formula while resulting in a Condition which runs faster using less resources.

We really need to define the sort of Volume Surge you want before creating a Condition. I generally see Volume Surge as the ratio of a Short Moving Average of Volume (frequently this Short Period is actually 1) to a Longer Moving Average of Volume. We would need to know the Short Period, the Long Period and the desired multiple to create a Condition.

In TC2000 version 12, Conditions just return True or False while Scans return a list of symbols returning True for all of the Conditions in the Scan.

Indicators, Sorting & Scanning

If you are using TeleChart 2007, the How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF) topic explores how to create Personal Criteria Formulas while the Using EasyScan to find stocks that meet your own criteria topic explores how to create EasyScans.

Moving Average PCF Templates
Things to check if your moving averages don't "seem right" or "seem to match"
PCF Formula Descriptions
Handy PCF example formulas to help you learn the syntax of PCFs!

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
ucsense
Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 2:16:58 PM

I would like to do this in TC2000 version 12 and beyond when available.

I am interested in being able to locate stocks/etfs that are just beginning to drop below their 50 day moving average on daily charts - like the 1st or 2nd day of the Crossover. 

I would also like to be alerted in my email when this occurs.  And, I would like to see this with symbols that average a minimum volume of 250,000.

Please steer me to the most easily accessible manner - and tell me why this is the best compared to other methods - to present this information. 

Thanks, Bruce!

Have a great weekend. Stay out of the storm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 3:05:28 PM

Worden Trainer

A Condition Formula in TC2000 version 12 for Price crossing down through its own 50-Period Simple Moving Average with a minimum volume of at least 250000 shares in the last two bars could be written as:

C < AVGC50 AND (C1 > AVGC50.1 OR C2 > AVGC50.2) AND V >= 250000

PCF Formula Descriptions
Handy PCF example formulas to help you learn the syntax of PCFs!

You could use this Condition Formula as a Sort or as part of a Scan. I do not know of a way to get notified by email when this occurs however.

I guess this method is "best" because it is the only method of which I am aware of how to do this in TC2000 version 12 currently. Clicking on Price and Volume and selecting Create Condition would allow you to create two Conditions which could be combined by using them both in the same Scan, but the crossover for which you are checking would only be for the current bar. You could not check for a crossover during the previous bar.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles