Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Volume Zone Oscillator: TC2007 Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jmeisen
Posted : Friday, March 11, 2011 9:48:42 AM
The new indicator, can you explain its design and intended use?  What is it derived from?

Thank You,

jm
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, March 11, 2011 10:09:43 AM

Worden Trainer

The trainers can't give setting, interpretation or investment advice. I can explain the calculations however.

The numerator is the Exponential Moving Average of a stream of data that is either Volume if the Net Change in Price is positive or negative Volume if the Net Change in Price is not positive.

The denominator is the Exponential Moving Average of Volume. The result is multiplied by 100 (so VZO can range between -100 and 100).

On another note, TC2007 is the current production version of TeleChart. The Volume Zone Oscillator (VZO) is not part of the current version of TeleChart. VZO is part of the TC2000.com version 11 beta.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
jmeisen
Posted : Friday, March 11, 2011 10:25:51 AM

Thank you, and sorry for stating 2007 in the title, I meant to say 2000.  My bad.

jm

db
Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2011 4:25:45 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Jmesin here is a good article on the Volume Zone Oscillator.   http://www.ifta.org/public/files/journal/d_ifta_journal_09.pdf  

Bruce would you consider writing a real code indicator for Volume Zone Oscillator that can be used in Stockfinder.

As always Thanks much
db
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 10:23:21 AM

Worden Trainer

Here's my interpretation of how VZO might be implemented in StockFinder as a RealCode Indicator:

'|******************************************************************
'|*** StockFinder RealCode Indicator - Version 5.0 www.worden.com
'|*** Copy and paste this header and code into StockFinder *********
'|*** Indicator:Volume Zone Oscillator
'|******************************************************************
'# Cumulative
'# Period = UserInput.Single = 14
Static termRatio As Double
Static weight As Double
Static sumWeight As Double
Static num As Double
Static den As Double
If isFirstBar Then
    termRatio = (Period - 1) / (Period + 1)
    sumWeight = 1
End If
weight = 1 / sumWeight
num = num * (1 - weight) + weight * _
    System.Math.Sign(Price.NetChange) * Volume.Value
den = den * (1 - weight) + weight * Volume.Value   
sumweight = sumweight * termratio + 1
Plot = 100 * num / den

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
db
Posted : Monday, March 21, 2011 3:11:22 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Thanks Bruce you do great work for all of us out here.
db
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2011 7:53:49 AM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jschott
Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:11:21 AM
I am confused by the several Volume Zone 2007 postings, including the Writeup and figure that appeared in TASC May 2011, Pg 63.  Mr. Patrick Argo of Worden wrote a description of the system devised to find stocks that hit the signal points of the volume zone criteria of the article in the same edition.

However, he also indicated that this could be downloaded from the Indicator Library.  As the figure did not reproduce very clearly, it took me some time to discover that:
*  The library he referred to was in the Version 11 (on-line) TC 2007, but seemingly not available for the original off-line version of TC 2007.  Moreover, while he says a few words about the screening system shown in the printed figure, I've not found sufficient information to enable me to duplate it.
*  I found the VZO indidator version built into the Stock Finder library.as well as the "three days offset" approximation you provided for the original TC2007 version.
Since I often work off line with TC and SF premium versions, and I like the looks of what Patrick described, it would be very helpful to me (and I hope others) if you could provide us more details on the system shown in the figure (that's essentially the setups of all the columns and the scan).

I'd like to understand if there is a reason that Patricks on-line version of the indicator is apparently not possible in the original TC (at least as you said yours was an "approximation". 

Thanks in advance of more information on this - since Patricks done the work, a lot of us would like to share what's possible and know how close we can get in the original TC (as contrasted with the online version 11.

StockGuy
Posted : Saturday, May 14, 2011 10:31:10 AM

Administration

The columns in the article were added from the chart in TC2000 v11.  If you click on an indicator on the chart, you can then click Add Column.  The columns in the article were from the buy setup where price is above the 60 period EMA, VZO crossing up through a value and ADX above a certain value.

The columns were all created by clicking on the indicator and choosing Add Column.  There's a pulldown with all of the options for above, below, crossing up through value, etc.