Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Commodity EFFs Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
auburnoib
Posted : Tuesday, February 15, 2011 10:42:08 PM
What is the deal with the ipath dow jones commodity ETFs?  LD, JJU, JJT, JJN, BAL are just a few examples. The Volume for all of these are below 100k, many below 20k.   I dont like trading anything with less than 200k shares a day traded.  For example, if BAL corrects back down to the low 70s, i might like to nibble on some, but with 70k shares a day it scares me.  I understand they are future based, but i still dont understand the vol issue.

Thanks for the help.
diceman
Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 1:53:32 AM
Folks have other options:

DBA, DBC, SLV, MOO, GLD, 
and so on.

Thanks
diceman

ben2k9
Posted : Wednesday, February 16, 2011 7:06:49 PM

Any of the DB commodity ETFs generate k1 tax forms, so a little pain in the neck.

the iPath individual commodities have low liquidity, but these are ETFs, not stocks, so liquidity is not a factor so long as you get a good execution.  And quite frankly, unless you have a futures account, it's the only other way to trade many individual commodities.  (i've been long JO and JJN since the breakouts, and I also own JJS)   I have purchased these in substantial size blocks and even though the bid/ask spreads look large sometimes,  if you put your limit order bid closer to the bid side, you should get a fill. 

I wouldn't hesitate to use these.