Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

SLW Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
pthegreat
Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 11:46:35 AM

SLW's hourly chart :
stair stepping down, shorted this morning at the retreat from the TDST resistance, and level 12 supply line. TD-REI and Pressure indicators came out from oversold.

5min chart :

riding down the level 1 supply line.
TD-REI = 0 : trending 

+50% on Feb 29 puts

pthegreat
Posted : Thursday, January 27, 2011 12:12:08 PM

by the way; notice the bearish divergence on the 5min chart ; 
TD pressure hit an extreme +100 value at 1:26, 3:15PM. and barely holdig on to +75 just before the drop, while price had moved higher.
pthegreat
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 10:43:15 AM

great intraday trades on this one;

Clear buy signal yesterday at 3:10. 
added a new indicator, TD-propulsion to my charts, plots price targets.

Target A was take out quickly, and now challenging the B target at 31

dayrangers
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 11:57:12 AM
Thank you for sharing. DeMark indicators are really amazing. I have been intraday trading myself last week with the indicators. I will post some charts. On 1/27 traded HP, today trader VPRT and DOV, buy into the TD buy setups in the mornings. I use TC2000 v11 to scan for inPlay stocks (stocks over 5%+), SF5 is way to slow to run scans on my laptop. Then plug those symbols into SF5 and look for TD Buy setups.
pthegreat
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 12:11:31 PM

fo intraday SF, reduce your "number of intraday bars" to 800 or lower. then it runs quick with all DeMark indicators
pthegreat
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 12:42:00 PM

My new motto : if you can't make money trading with DeMark, you shouldn't be trading!
pthegreat
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 1:05:50 PM

Another quick 20% on Feb 32 calls. 

12:35 breakout wedge at TD-propulsion"B" target to TDST resistance at 31.50
diceman
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 3:40:10 PM
QUOTE (pthegreat)
My new motto : if you can't make money trading with DeMark, you shouldn't be trading!

Demark and trading, a combo that cant be ignored.
Demark and trading, countdown to profit.
Demark and trading, sequential profits.
Demark and trading, profit pressure.
Demark and trading, equity range expansion.

anderton
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 6:57:56 PM
Hello pthegreat,

I subscribed to the SF5 back in December and have been working on some simple stuff trying to find trade ideaas. I found your threads on DeMark 2 or 3 weeks ago.

I have been scrounging the discussion forum trying to find the many indicators and conditions you are using on the charts.  Not having a whole lot of luck.

I have TD pressure code, the TD Camo 3:45 and the TD Rei
The results of the CAMO 3:45 matches what you posted here in the last part of January and the TD Pressure and REI match what is on your charts.
The TD Sequential Indicator that I found does not match what your chart looks like.
I could not find a TD sequential that will work on any other time frames - is there one posted?

I am not a youngster (over 72 ) and the challenge of learning all the code to do the job is way beyond me.

I certainly admire the work you have done and the success you are having just trading the SPY.

If you can offer any help it would be appreciated.  Or maybe your advice would be "forget it" :)

I have been reading the Jason Perl book and following the logic behind the indicators.

Thanks
mbryantatl
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 7:19:58 PM
Hi Pthe Great,
    I was wondering if you were going to take a look at the TD Propulsion indicator.   Have you error proofed that on yet?  Generally, I like that indicator  for longer term trend validation (the ole qualification in Demark speak) and for possible target expectation.

On Minyanville today, the gold target on the weekly was discussed, although it was for futures so you'd have to adjust a little for the GLD.  Anyways, the weekly Prop down level on gold futures is 1343 and the rise today and possibly going into next week may just get it above that level so that qualification can take place. (up day above the level, drop below the level next day, 3rd day opens lower and must hit an intraday at least 1 tick lower during the day) 

If qualified, then the Prop Target level is 1250ish. 

On a daily basis, gold futures have already qualified a TDST down at 1350.

So unlike the media is saying, this gold move up on fear may be short lived and a good shorting opportunity if things stick to the Demark rules.  

If you get a chance, I'd love to take a look at the Prop indicator.  Relative retracement may be another one which you might be interested in as well as it uses Fibonacci pcts to find levels to watch for in regards to support and resistance.  Of course , it's all in Perl's book. 

Have a great weekend!

pthegreat
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 7:32:30 PM

you made me crack up Diceman .
That's worth a copyright !!!!

Anderton,

yea my implementation of the several DeMark indicators is a continuous work in progress. I did lately modify the sequential, and TDST for some minor bugs.
I'm sharing the layout again.:
goto "share" - "browse other users shared items" -  and select the "layout" tab.

I know I have a whole range of conditions on the screen. some of them I use all day, everyday, and some are trials.

if you have SF platinum, I suggest you reduce the amount of intraday bars to at least 800 (or lower) to improve speed during trading hours, after hours you can increase it, to do backtesting, scrolling back in time, etc..
you change it by going to "settings" -  "data manager"

Let know whether you're charts still don't look the same after this.

I wouldn't recommend using DeMark unless you read about the indicators, and fully understand the trading rules. 
Also with the little experience I have sofar, to me, it seems that the best results are obtained on highly liquid assets. 

good luck.
pthegreat
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 7:46:47 PM

Hi Mbryant,

Bruce coded a indicator, which I believe concurs with the Propulsion rules. I included it in the latest layout on the "shared" items. I have to modify it for down movements.
I am using it since yesterday, and so far really like the results, had a great trade today with SLW, as you can see the propulsion worked really well. 
Looking at GLD daily chart, the prop gave a "B" target of 121.26 back in 8/5/10, which proofed to turn into a consolidation/support area for several weeks.
Hope to find some time this weekend to code the reverse of this indicator to use for down moves.

I read about relative retracement, and triggered my interest as well.  thanks and have a great weekend.
anderton
Posted : Friday, January 28, 2011 11:34:57 PM
Hello pthegreat,

I was able to open the chart at the shared layouts and it opens great.

My computer must not be able to handle it processing though.  If I go to anything lower than daily time frames the TD Pressure only has a red line through the pane at 25.00 and the volume pane is flatlined.  If I switch back to daily  or greater the panes display  fine.

Don't know what to make of it. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
anderton
Posted : Saturday, January 29, 2011 11:09:43 AM
pthegreat,
When I opened SF5 and the TD layout this morning everything was okay. 
Don't know what was going on last night.  Spurious ray from outter space thing :)
Have a great day
Thanks
anderton
Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 12:09:05 AM
pthegreat,

I have been reading Perl's book and looking at the charts on the 1/27/11 version of your DeMark charts.
Trying to figure out how to best learn how to use them.

I had tried to add the TD CAMO 3:45 condition to the chart and in doing so messed up something.  Several new circles showed up on the chart.

I thought - no sweat - I'll just reload it from the shared layouts. I went to the shared layouts on SF5 but the 1/27/11 version is not there.  Will it be put back up or should I load one of the older versions.

Sorry for the bother,

Thank you,
pthegreat
Posted : Sunday, January 30, 2011 1:23:31 AM

it should be there :

anderton
Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 8:39:01 PM
Greetings pthegreat,

I am having serious performance issues running the DeMark charts,  I have been in discussion with worden support about it. They said that conditions, indicators and R/C created in SF4 aren't always compatible to SF5.  Jeremy asked me to find out for sure which version of SF you were using 4_____ or version 5______

Studying the charts to see how to use them

Thank you,
pthegreat
Posted : Monday, January 31, 2011 11:58:48 PM

SF5.1 build 11
did you reduce the "maximum intraday bars"  ? during trading hours.
I have mine set to no more then 800 or so. which is about 10 days on the  5min charts. After hours if I want to do any backtesting, I increase it to the maximum. the data feed during the trading hours takes a lot of resources.

I have quite a souped up computer:

Intel quad core I7 920 processor . 2.67Ghz
8Gb Ram
64 bit Windows 7
and I overclocked the CPU to 4Ghz (don't do this, if you don't know what you're doing, can blow up the CPU).

anderton
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:35:34 AM
Hello pthegreat,
Yes, I have daily set to 380 and intraday set to 800

Jeremy in support could not even open the TD-seq+CCI+TEMA+DPO chart.  I sent my log file to them for analyzing. 

Yeah, your ahead of me on the computer.. I am using a DELL business laptop, 4 g ram
Intel  Core 2 Duo or Celeron and windows 7 pro. 
4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333Mhz – 2 DIMMS (system performance up to 800Mhz)
Thought it was pretty good till I started on the charts :)

Will wait for a response from them...

Thank you - have a great day
diceman
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 11:30:34 AM
QUOTE (pthegreat)
 I overclocked the CPU to 4Ghz (don't do this, if you don't know what you're doing, can blow up the CPU).

Muscle Trading!          
pthegreat
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:43:44 PM

I must admit, I went a bit overboard with that layout, anderton. I'm saving it till the day they come out with the 100core CPU's  . Especially the TEMA histogram is a resource hog.
But I have no problems with the current layout. and I think I'm gonna stick with it, until the need for the holy grail indicator starts itching again.

by the way; two remarks from Demark that have influenced me just as much, if not more then the indicators:

Ninety-nine percent of the people

in trading are not creative and they’re

not willing to rely upon themselves

to make decisions.

"Money management and discipline are more important than the system," he said. In fact "good discipline, a knowledge of their (personal) limitations and good money management are more critical than the system or indicator," DeMark said.

Read more: http://www.articlesbase.com/finance-articles/tom-demark-relies-100-on-market-timing-90247.html#ixzz1CknRbfcv
pthegreat
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:50:41 PM

You knew I was gonna say that, now that the 11% market crash seems to dwindle into another buy the dip scenario. at least for now.  
gllawson
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:15:16 AM
QUOTE (pthegreat)
SF5.1 build 11
did you reduce the "maximum intraday bars"  ? during trading hours.
I have mine set to no more then 800 or so. which is about 10 days on the  5min charts. After hours if I want to do any backtesting, I increase it to the maximum. the data feed during the trading hours takes a lot of resources.

I have quite a souped up computer:

Intel quad core I7 920 processor . 2.67Ghz
8Gb Ram
64 bit Windows 7
and I overclocked the CPU to 4Ghz (don't do this, if you don't know what you're doing, can blow up the CPU).

Just curious what size monitor you're using? I'm finding your Demark charts difficult to read on mine.
pthegreat
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2011 12:28:19 AM

dual 26", one 24", and a17" , one chart on each 26"monitor, couple of charts from my broker on the 24" and the 17" for non-trading apps.

pthegreat
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:16:52 PM

Currently long SLW.  Hourly DeMark indicators spot on.!  Daily Propulsion target 34.83, then TDST resistance at 35.50.
pthegreat
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 10:36:27 AM

sold half position at break above the daily "A" target given by TD-propulsion. TD-sequential sell on 5min chart at 10:15 (high of day so far).  60% profit on Feb 36 calls. if price closes above 34.83 today then next target will be 40.81.
pthegreat
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 7:12:38 PM

well, that 5min sequential sell proofed to be exactley the High Of Day. Let's see how SLW trades next week.
anderton
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2011 10:00:41 PM
pthegreat

Wanted to say thanks for your sharing :) 

I made my first trade using your TD conditions and indicators today.
Traded FCX Feb 57 call option this afternoon.  Picked up 7 % in 50 Minutes. 
Had a TD-Buy perfection set up and tried it.   Thanks

Question for you.  Often the price will continue downward afterTD-Buy perfection condition is met..  Sometimes quite a number of bars.  Do you use any other condition or indicator to confirm the TD-Buy perfection?  I have been watching for green candle closing above a previous down candle to indicate a turnaround.  Don't know if that is a good idea or not.

Another observation.  It seems that TD-Buy perfection/s in the very last part of the trading day often do very well the next morning.

Your thought will be appreciated.

Have a good weekend.
pthegreat
Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 3:55:48 PM

For example; if a stock is in a strong uptrend, you will see that most of the sequential sell setups and countdowns merely indicate a consolidation area, before price continues to move higher. So if you try to fade the trend most of the time you will get stopped out.

If you like to trade of a 5 min chart, then always make sure you know what the the higher time frames are telling you. 
Look at a daily FCX chart ; 7/2/10 bottomed on a TD-sequential buy setup. 
9/9/10 a daily sequential setup, but Not followed by a price flip.
look at an hourly chart on 9/8 - 9/9 . you'll see short pullbacks, but No break of the TDST support line.
two bars later on the daily chart, TD-REI prints "0", meaning price is trending. 
so instead of going short, this would've been an opportunity to go long.

10/11 - 13 daily sequrntial sell and countdown. If you're brave you could've done a couple short swings of the hourly. but again no real break of TDST-support.

The one I like is the daily 1/12/11 where it clearly double topped on a sequential sell on the 3rd and a sequential countdown sell on the 12'th.
Hourly chart would give you a starting entry short on the price flip on 1/12 1PM. and subsequently adding more to your position on the TDST-support break.

moral of story : always look at higher time frames, to confirm direction.

Sequential and countdown indicate areas of "price exhaustion" , which CAN result in a change of trend. 
I always look for confirmation at these areas from TDST-support/resistance, and the TD-lines.
It depends on your objectives how to create a trading plan around these indicators.
 But as you see they work on all time-frames, with the higher time-frame being dominant.

At first I scanned the whole universe for sequential triggers. I have changed that by using a small watchlist of stocks that in my opinion trade well on these indicators, and have penny spreads on the options.

the way i trade my exits, is always to take profit when I see a sequential/setup or countdown, without waiting for confirmation of a trend change. most of the time I take half off. if the sequential trigger proofed to be a consolidation area, before continuing the trend, then great, I still have half a postion, and wait for the next signal. As you know options are subject to time erosion, so a consolidation area works against you. Specially since I like to trade 1 strike OTM options. 

hope this helps,
thanks,

P.

pthegreat
Posted : Saturday, February 5, 2011 5:48:34 PM

The TDST lines also can give you clues whether the stock is rangebound, or in a up or down trend.
Look at the SLW houryl chart, and compress it till Sep/10. when a stock is range bound, you will see both support and resistance lines. As you can see in Oct/'10.
When a stock is in a strong uptrend it will print less and less resistance lines.

remember a resisatnce line only appears when a sequential buy setup has finished. so in an uptrend where the pullbacks are weak and not able to complete  buy setups, we wont see resistance lines.
10-27 till 12-8
Now SLW has topped and start printing resistance and support lines again. Support line breaks early Jan, and as of mid-Jan, no more support lines. meaning where in a strong downtrend. the bounce back ups are to short to print any sequential sell setups, and therefore we won't see any new support lines.
As of end of Jan no new resistance lines.

conclusion:
if you see a sequential sell setup, with confirmation, and price pulls back a bit, but does not penetrate the support line, and does not finish a sequential buy setup, you can expect price to move higher then the most recent completed sell setup.
examples :
10/29/10
11/5/10
11/18/10
11/22
11/24
11/30

on 12/6 there's sell countdown, followed by buy setup, which resulted in a resistance line. and that's where price topped out.

the reversal is true as well.

anderton
Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 8:47:38 PM
Hello pthegreat,,,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide all the information in the above posts!

I have been trying to digest it.  And follow your explanations on the charts.  Also, I have been reading Perl's book on the TD lines.  What a task you have had in coding all of the things in the 1-27-11 Layout. 

I have played around with running a .wav sound when the TD-Buy-Perfection triggers.  I have it working pretty good.  Kind of nice to have an audible when a stock meets the condition.

I have looked at lots of stocks today. Not many triggered on the TD Buy.  Had a lot show up on the Daily charts  as TD-Sell Perfection but no where close to a resistance level.  Does that mean they could be good candidates for continued upward movement? Some examples POT, CAT, OIH, SPG, XOM, SLB, CLF, XOP, XLE, WLP, NOV to list a few. 

Didn't see many  Daily TD-Buy perfections . Did you notice any good trades? If you care to list a couple I would like to see if I can follow your reasoning behind the choice.

Thanks for your help!! :)
pthegreat
Posted : Monday, February 7, 2011 11:37:57 PM

I'd prefer to wait for confirmation after I see a sequential setup. 
In the case of POT, we have a sell setup on the daily, but it also started a new countdown sequence today. so it can easily continue. Indeed there's no resistance insite, Although it is at the Sep '08 highs.
Looking at TD-pressure, I see a bearish divergence on the daily as of 1/6/11. 
To go short, I would wait for a price-flip on the daily.  If you look at the hourly you can see it broke out of the wedge formed by the level 3 demand and supply lines. You can see it broke down the level 1 ,at 2PM, and the 5min chart gave a sequential countdown sell at that time as well. which, if you're a quick scalper, would have given you a 1point to the downside, or about 10% on the Feb 180 puts, in 2 hours.

I would wait to see if it breaks down the level 3 demand line, then I think we have a higher change it will fall and test the TDST-support at 177, that would give you about a 4point move, which will result in a very nice gain going long puts.  

so as you see, it depends on your trading style. I like to find combinations of the different signals, for example a buy setup, at support, (which can be a TDST-support, or higher level demand line), followed by a break over a level1 or level 3 supply line. for example I posted a chart on INFY today. Then look at your TD-pressure and see if it prints a divergence.

pthegreat
Posted : Tuesday, February 8, 2011 11:42:46 PM

keep checking the hourly, same story :
as of 2/2 every sell setup and/or sellcountdown , results in short pullback, and buy setups fail to finish, therefore no new TDST-resistance lines, result; price keeps trending up, with each new sell setup reaching a higher level.

beauty of a wedge today at close on 15min chart.
check out TD-propulsion on 15min, 4hr, and daily charts. 
we have a TDST-resistance at 35.50 on daily; might have to battle that for a little while. wait for that to clear to initiate new longs.or take profits on current longs if it pulls back from here.
mbryantatl
Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:15:57 AM
Hello pthegreat,
   Take a look at this summary below on TD Ref Close from Kevin Depew, which explains how one might use it.  This might be a good candidate as an indicator and it appears it could add good info to decision making and support the other TD methods you have programmed to date.  It is in Perl's book. 

Today we're going to look at how TD Reference Close helps get us out of trades that fail. On January 13, the SP recorded a TD Sequential 13 sell signal. The confirming bearish price flip recorded on Jan. 19. And the subsequent bar produced a low exceeding that so all is well, right? Wrong.
The value of TD Reference Close is it validates "good" trend reversals so we do not get trapped in false breakdowns. 
With the level at 1270.40 as of Jan. 20, what we were watching closely after the bearish price flip was a close below TD Reference Close. Instead, the market dipped below it, but rallied back. This was a signal that perhaps things aren't working out as planned. One could exit the trade immediately on the close of the TD Reference Close failure, or even choose to give the market the benefit of the doubt.
The next opportunity to close below TD Reference Close was Jan 28 at 1287.60. While we got the close below TD Ref Close, the next bar follow through (a low exceeding the prior bar's) was insufficient to demonstrate a "good" trend reversal.
Finally, the market then close above TD Reference Close up on three occasions and qualified a break above the TD Risk Level at 1298.
Often, people like to view DeMark as a system, but it is not. The indicators are objective but adaptive. There is no "set it and forget it" in trading. At least not that I have found.

pthegreat
Posted : Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:43:56 PM

Hi mbryant,

where did you find this in Perl's book?
I don't see anything on TD-ref or TD-reference.
I like the concept though and seems easy to implement. I do have the TDseq risk, but only in the TD-sequential setup code. it automatically plots a "stop = ..." label on the charts, I'll see if I can add it to the TD-countdowns as well.
thanks, 
P
mbryantatl
Posted : Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:35:02 PM
Hi Pthe Great,
  I must have been thinking of the retracements or propulsion as I've seen it listed as being in the book, but I did not find it when I looked, unless it's under another name.

Here's Demark Pivot Points which has some similar points of emphasis.  I'll try to see if I can find the explanation of reference close, but so far it has been hard to find.

DeMark Pivot Points

The formula used in the calculation of the Tom DeMark "Pivot Points" are:

The value of X in the formula below depends on where the Close of the market is.
If Close < Open then X = (H + (L * 2) + C)

If Close > Open then X = ((H * 2) + L + C)

If Close = Open then X = (H + L + (C * 2))

R1 = X / 2 - L
PP = X / 4 (this is not an official DeMark number but merely a reference point based on the calculation of X)
S1 = X / 2 - H

Where R1 is the upper Resistance level, PP is the Pivot Point, S1 is the lower support level. 
pthegreat
Posted : Friday, February 11, 2011 9:37:52 AM

thx Mbryant;

I'll look into the pivot points next week.

I found the info on TD-ref. Perl describes it in the Risk management with TD-combo, page 65.
in case of a sell countdown:
"a break of the lowest low four bars previous to the high"
pthegreat
Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2011 2:17:59 PM

That break of the daily TDST-resistance proofed to be a great point to go long again. target still 40.81

Hourly chart : no resistance in sight, TD-REI : trending.

pthegreat
Posted : Tuesday, February 22, 2011 7:45:42 PM

march 37 calls from $1.70 on 2/15  (close above TDST-resistance) to $4.30 this morning at 10:25, when closing below propulsion "B" target at $40.81.

Trendo
Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 8:14:30 AM

Hi Pthergreat,

I would like to get the DeMark & TD indicators, I can not find them in TC2000 V14.