Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

HALF-POINT ADVANCES AND DECLINES IN INDEXES Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
dares
Posted : Friday, April 22, 2005 12:10:17 AM
Dear Sirs:

In the Worden Report of April 20, 2005 Don says "There were 1020
half-point + declines to 78 advances in the Russell 3000" I would like to
be able to make this determination myself. Please let me know how I can
determine the number of half-point declines and advances in the Russell 3000
using TeleChart Gold.

Gilbert Dares
Doug_H
Posted : Friday, April 22, 2005 9:14:01 AM

Worden Trainer

(ABS (C >=(C1 + .5))) + (C <=(C1 - .5))

The above PCF, when used as a sort criterion, will return a +1 for half point+ advancers, and a -1 for half point+ decliners.

Use it to sort the Russell 3000 (or any)watchlist in descending order. Scroll down to the last stock returning a +1, click on it to make it your active symbol, and whatever number that stock is in the list will be the number of half point+ advancers.

Now switch to ascending order. Now, scroll down to the last stock returning a -1, click on it to make it your active symbol, and whatever number that stock is in the list will be the number of half point+ decliners.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, April 22, 2005 9:20:09 AM

Worden Trainer

I would create two PCFs and two EasyScans:

Half Point Advance:
C>=C1+.5

Half Point Decline:
C<=C1-.5

Russell 3000 Half-Point Advances:
Conditions:
Watchlist: Russell 3000 Component Stocks
Half Point Advance - True

Russell 3000 Half-Point Declines:
Conditions:
Watchlist: Russell 3000 Component Stocks
Half Point Decline - True

When you click the Lightning Bolt, it will bring up a list of Watchlists. The Item Count for Russell 3000 Half-Point Advances and Russell 3000 Half-Point Declines will be the numbers you want.

The following videos should help you do this:
How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF)
Using EasyScan to find stocks that meet your own criteria

You might also be interested in our 50-Cent Advance/Decline Line Tool.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
StockGuy
Posted : Friday, April 22, 2005 9:24:10 AM

Administration

Here's another method that's pretty simple:

Create a PCF using the formula ABS(C-C1)>.49 and name it Up/Dn 50 Cents. Calculate your PCFs so you can use the new one in a scan.

Create a new EasyScan. Set the WatchList to Scan to Russell 3000 Components, and add the condition Up/Dn 50 Cents. Save the scan and name it Russell 3000 50 Cent Movers.

Now you have a list of the stocks in the Russell 3000 that moved at least 50 cents on the day. Now click Reports | Today's Prices. The # of gainers and losers is listed at the bottom of the report.

Now that you have the scan built, you can check the price report each day for a count of 50 advances and declines.

PilatusPilot
Posted : Friday, April 22, 2005 10:14:01 AM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

FYI, there is a 50 cent advance/decline line for a variety of indexes under the Web Tools tab on the website. It's basically an A/D line of stocks up or down more than 1/2 a point.

Also included are regular A/D lines and a 50 cent A/D oscillator.

I really like the 50 cent line for the Russell 3000 ... good market data that's hard to find anyplace else.
dares
Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2005 2:48:08 PM
My enquiry refers to the 20 minute video highlighting OMR. This video is located at Four Good-Looking Charts: OMR, MFE, CNU, JMDT. XAX is used in this video as a relative strength indication. 10 day and 40 day moving averages are used. I have tried to duplicate the template using the TC2000 program on my computer. I first added XAX and then I added the 10 day and the 40 day moving averages of the XAX. I then made the XAX invisible by unticking visible. I ended up with a result that looks identical with the template in the video. I carried out these procedures to convince myself that the 10 day and 40 day moving averages refer to moving averages of XAX and not of OMR. However, the analysis presented in the video gives the impression that the moving averages somehow refer to OMR. I make this deduction because the video makes statements like &quot;when the 10 day is below the 40 day OMR is underperforming the American stock exchange.&quot; How can this be the case?

Gilbert Dares
Doug_H
Posted : Saturday, May 7, 2005 3:38:19 PM

Worden Trainer

Make sure you are plotting the Relative Strength indicator, using XAX as the comparison symbol used by the indicator. Then plot a 10 day moving average of the Relative Strength and a 40 dya moving average of Relative Strength. Then make the Relative Strength line invisible (uncheck the visible box in the Relative Strength dialog box).

The relative strength line, if visible, would rise if OMR is outperforming XAX. It would fall if OMR is underperforming XAX. The moving averages of the Relative strength line, therefore, give an indication of when the direction of the relative strength line has changed. In other words, the moving average crosses point to when OMR has changed from outperforming to underperforming XAX, or just the opposite...from underperforming to outperforming XAX.

For a full discourse on this strategy, contact the technical support staff and request a copy of Don Worden's RSMA Exit Strategy Monograph. They will email you a copy in .PDF format.

Support Hours:

M-F 9AM-9PM EDT
Sat 9AM-3PM EDT
(919)408-0542
support@worden.com

- Doug
Teaching Online!