Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Anchored VWAP Channel Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kempferts2997
Posted : Thursday, June 24, 2010 6:45:13 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

In Stocks & Commodities, July 2010 issue SF has a Traders' Tips illustration that I am unable to duplicate; the illustration on p.79 shows channels using the date of 7/23/09 with offset of 5.0% and -2.0% on a chart of SPY; when I input the offsets, regardless of % I sue, the VWAP indicator does not change; what might I be doing wrong; TIA --- Merrill
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 8:15:33 AM

Worden Trainer

I'm going to assume you have Overlayed the Anchored VWAP onto the Price History by Dragging and Dropping it to the Pane and selecting Overlay. You will also want to put it into the same Scale by right-clicking on the Anchored VWAP Indicator and selecting Scaling | Scale With | Price History.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
kempferts2997
Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 12:14:43 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

ah, one forgot to scale it with price history; very good ---------- thanks once again for your quick, helpful response!
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 12:16:21 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
StockGuy
Posted : Friday, June 25, 2010 12:41:44 PM

Administration

If you drag the Anchored VWAP plot directly onto the price plot in version 5, it will automatically scale with Price.
jschott
Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 10:41:33 PM
The figure in Technical Analyhsis of Stocks and Commodities appears to require use an offset of +3.0 and -3.0 and a date of 2009, Jly 25th for two VWAP indicators to make the Channel shown in Figure 9 for SPY there.

When I do this, I get a relatively good match with the lower channel line, but the upper line is too low based on the figure 9

Since the explanation in TASC does not mention that the VWAP provided needs this setup, it's not clear to me if the TASC picture shows the correct plot or if what I get now is correct.

I do note that of the more than a dozen comparable plots made using other TA programs noone else used the same start date nor settings as the published example.  Naturally the start date is arbitrary, but I'd also like to know why 3.0 was used as the offset in the example you and Patrick Argo submitted.

Thanks.
jschott
Posted : Friday, July 16, 2010 10:49:09 PM
OOPS. I note that KEmpferts read the offsets as +5 and -2.  I have note yet tried them, but I'd still like to know where the offsets came from.
Thanks

=====================================================

QUOTE (jschott)
The figure in Technical Analyhsis of Stocks and Commodities appears to require use an offset of +3.0 and -3.0 and a date of 2009, Jly 25th for two VWAP indicators to make the Channel shown in Figure 9 for SPY there.

When I do this, I get a relatively good match with the lower channel line, but the upper line is too low based on the figure 9

Since the explanation in TASC does not mention that the VWAP provided needs this setup, it's not clear to me if the TASC picture shows the correct plot or if what I get now is correct.

I do note that of the more than a dozen comparable plots made using other TA programs noone else used the same start date nor settings as the published example.  Naturally the start date is arbitrary, but I'd also like to know why 3.0 was used as the offset in the example you and Patrick Argo submitted.

Thanks.
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 19, 2010 9:33:05 AM

Worden Trainer

jschott,
The choice of 3.0 for the offset was just as arbitrary as the date.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles