Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

SF5 minute connection failure Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kd
Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:14:52 AM
RT minute data feed failure:

have restarted computer:  no affect
have use SFreset: no affect
have uninstalled SF5 and re installed: no affect

have now pulled SF5 off machine and returned to exclusive use of SF4.
did not want to do that, but SF5 has failed completely and is not usable.

i am hopeful that eventually you will find a solution to the SF5 problem of 'connect but fail' issue for RT data feed.  I certainly enjoyed using it when it worked properly, but the recent total failure has left no alternative.

will not re-install product again until i hear from support that a solution has been found.
Flash99
Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 6:24:46 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

kd,
I have installed SF5 and it works fine with the exception of a few very short outages.

Had experienced the following problems:
1. Downloader did not work.
Each time I install a new build, my firewall asks for permission to allow communication (SF, Blocks,...).
One time I denied access by mistake, and downloader did not work.
=>Checked the firewall program control settings for SF, Blocks... and allowed access. SF5 worked just fine.
2. Downloader was updating but prices did not refresh in the watchlist
=>Had a Canadian stock in the watchlist, removed it... => everything worked.

Before you give up on SF5 make sure you check your firewall settings.
Hope it helps.
kd
Posted : Thursday, January 7, 2010 9:04:09 PM
I have turned the windows firewall completely off and the same problem continues. "connection closed, Attempting to Connect"..  this message continues as long as the program SF5 is active.  The RT minutes data feed fails.  The Daily update, along with news works, it is the RT data feed, that fails. 

The problem appears systemic and therefore SF5 will not function.

Support must address this issue as it is happening to many more than just myself.
Kuf
Posted : Friday, January 8, 2010 9:48:19 AM

Administration

We are contacting everyone who is having data problems directly so we can debug this problem. The hardest part is getting everyone to be available on the phone.

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
Chief Software Engineer - Worden Brothers Inc.
Try/Catch - My RealCode Blog
kd
Posted : Friday, January 8, 2010 9:54:15 AM
u tell me when, i'll be there . unless it is w/e and i am away skiing.
kd

this thing is driving me nuts, as i really want to use SF 5 but the data is not valid and i have gone back to SF4
Flash99
Posted : Friday, January 8, 2010 5:04:21 PM

kd,
I understand how you feel. Did not get any data for 10mins and I was climbing the walls...
The fact that SF5 works fine on my PCs (laptop/work/home) proves that there is a good chance the problem might be on your side/PC. Otherwise, if SF5 was  the problem, then it should not work on my PCs or others.
If I was in your position, I would try the following:
- Remove completely SF4 & SF5.
- Reboot & Re-install SF5, and create a new SF5 layout, do not use the one you have from SF4, (just for your test).
- Remove the software firewall completely (just for your test), for some of them is not enough to turn off, agent programs are still running in the background. You are probably using a firewall-router, so you have a minimum protection provided by the hardware.
It will take a little bit of time but if you get it working is worth it. SF5 is way way better than SF4.
Flash99
Posted : Friday, January 8, 2010 5:43:37 PM

Forgot to mention, if you decide to go ahead and remove SF4 & SF5, make sure you save your files first
My Documents\StockFinder
My Documents\StockFinder5
kd
Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:14:29 AM
flash:thanks for responding, but. have already removed SF5 and re installed. that did not help at allsupport advises that others are having this issue, i am not alone. It is wide spread, but not everyone catches the bug. I wish it had passed me by, but no luck. I am using SF4 just fine and am a very very heavy user. with many user written real code routines, More 70 of them. So, need SF to function, can't do w/o it. Will just have to use SF4 until support can resolve issue.support for SF is trying to bring a large group together, who are experiencing the problem and see if a solution can be found. The connection issue is not new, and has interfered with SF5 for quite some time.if a solution is not found soon, it will of course become a killer for SF5.regardskd
Kuf
Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2010 11:49:15 AM

Administration

The latest build (158) has a verbose log to help us uncover the issue.  We need users with the problem to run the build so we can determine the cause by viewing the contents of the log.

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
hotrod
Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2010 2:36:27 PM
i also have this same problem of "minute data " and "streaming data" NOT connecting
haschade
Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2010 4:54:37 PM
Me too...
kd
Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 9:44:27 AM
Kuf:

have now downloaded build 159.
still have the Connection closed - attempting to connect
problem.

how do we get this verboase log into your hands, so that we have a fighting chance to bring SF5 back from the dead?

standing by!
kd
phefner
Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 10:42:54 AM
I'll pile on too - i also have gone to SF4 and not working with SF5 until you guys get this data issue resolved.  Been an issue for me since the release back on Thanksgiving.  Has it really been that far back?

SF4 fine, TCNet fine.  And some others I run when not running a Worden product are fine too.  So please do not try and tell me its a connection issue at my end.
jas0501
Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 2:49:20 PM
To be clear I'm just a useand not and not speanking for Worden, Tha said, Remember V5 is in Beta!

By definition Beta is "use at you own risk!". Beta "testers" as just that, with the goal of finding and solving the problems before official product release.

It is a known problem that is being worked.

This is an ambitious advancement from V4. Software development is a complex endevour and intermittent bugs are the most difficult to fix as reproducing them can be next to impossible. The addition of the log files will help.

Obviously V5 will remain in beta until the known data issues are resolved.
Doug
Posted : Monday, January 11, 2010 9:41:07 AM

Worden Staff

One of our senior technical support agents will contact everyone with this issue (that we know about) this morning, in order to collect the log files.
kempferts2997
Posted : Monday, January 11, 2010 9:58:23 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I downloaded SF5.0 and all the screens come up but there is no data connection; it must have been my error in the download because I now also lost the data on SF 4.0; how might I activate the data feed?  Thank you ------- Merrill
kd
Posted : Monday, January 11, 2010 11:06:47 AM
to everyone:
Kuf, Doug, phefner, haschade, hotrod, kempferts

this am, i was using SF 5 before mkt opened for about 4 hrs.
and during that time the data connection began to work.

i made no change, it just started working.

maybe it is the magic of technical support , who knows.

what does everyone else say?
Kuf
Posted : Monday, January 11, 2010 11:08:15 AM

Administration

See this post:

http://forums.worden.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=44278

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
kd
Posted : Tuesday, January 12, 2010 3:37:38 PM
sorry to report this but my data connection problem has returned again today

so it worked for about 36 hours and is failing again.

Kuf:

how do i send u logs?