Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profitunity search Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Hlprr
Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:59:20 PM
I am looking for a search that will find ETF's that generate Bullish Divergent bars with Angulation.  This is refered to as Wiseman 1 in Bill Williams' trading system.  Also, I would like the opposite which is called Bearish Divergent bars.

Joe Pickett
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 4:05:30 PM

Worden Trainer

We would need unambiguous objective definitions of the desired patterns to help you create a Rule or Condition to identify them in StockFinder.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Hlprr
Posted : Tuesday, December 29, 2009 6:48:08 PM
For starters, I need a search that will find ETF's, the midpoint of today's price bar is 10% below a 19 day
SMA of price.  Today's low must be below yesterday's but today's close must be above the midpoint of  today's price bar.  Also, 90 day avg vol > 50,000.

Joe Pickett 

P.S.
Are ETF's coded in a way that one can choose long vs short, bond funds, currency funds and etc.?
rgwesi
Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 4:23:41 PM
Would likewise to have an Indicator for a :1) Bullish Divergent = is a bar that has a lower low and closes in the top half of the bar and, 2) Bearish Divergent = a bar that has a higher high and closes in the lower half of that bar.
StockGuy
Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 5:54:16 PM

Administration

QUOTE (Hlprr)
For starters, I need a search that will find ETF's, the midpoint of today's price bar is 10% below a 19 day
SMA of price.  Today's low must be below yesterday's but today's close must be above the midpoint of  today's price bar.  Also, 90 day avg vol > 50,000.

Joe Pickett 

P.S.
Are ETF's coded in a way that one can choose long vs short, bond funds, currency funds and etc.?

Plot the 19 period sma on your chart (if not already there).  Plot the 90 bar average of volume (if not already there).  Click Add Rule, Create in RealCode.  In the code editor, click the Add Indicator/Rule button and add the sma and the volume average to the code.  It will look something like this:

'# MA = movingaverage.indicator
'# VolAvg = movingaverage.indicator.2

MA and VolAvg may come up as something different but you can edit as necessary.  Just don't edit anytyhing after the = sign.

Then add the following code:

If (price.high + price.low) / 2 < MA.value * .90 andalso _
price.low < price.low(1) andalso price.close >  (price.high + price.low) / 2 andalso _
VolAvg.value > 500 then pass

StockGuy
Posted : Monday, January 4, 2010 5:56:17 PM

Administration

QUOTE (rgwesi)
Would likewise to have an Indicator for a :1) Bullish Divergent = is a bar that has a lower low and closes in the top half of the bar and, 2) Bearish Divergent = a bar that has a higher high and closes in the lower half of that bar.

Bullish Divergent:

If price.low < price.low(1) andalso price.close >  (price.high + price.low) / 2 then pass

Bearish Divergent:

If price.high > price.high(1) andalso price.close <  (price.high + price.low) / 2 then pass
Hlprr
Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 3:36:06 AM
I have the Average indicators, a data base (sp500) and code (presumably a clean compile) in the layout with no errors noted, how do I execute the search?  Are the data passing the search, written to a new watchlist or coded in some fashion?  

Please provide me a Programmer's Manual.  I have written many BASIC programs using several BASIC
subsets.  Also, I need a list of Reserved Words for this subset.  Of what BASIC compiler  is this a subset?  MS Visual?

Hlprr
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:17:50 AM

Worden Trainer

Hlprr,
You can Drag and Drop the Rules to the Watchlist to create a Scan or to the Filter to limit the output of the current Watchlist (but since the Rules are contradictory, don't try to use both in the Filter at the same time). You can also Drag and Drop the Rules onto the Chart to display hash marks when the Rule is True or to an Indicator to use it to Paint that Indicator.

Rule Basics

The RealCode Programmers Reference and the Intro to RealCode and Intro to RealCode Episode II webinars are designed to cover the portions of RealCode that are specific to StockFinder. Beyond that, RealCode is based on Visual Basic (VB.NET).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Hlprr
Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2010 7:45:09 PM
-Bruce,

A few days ago you sent me a Layout called Bill-Williams[1].  The assumption is that it similates Bill Williams' Alligator, which I love.  But, I have been unable to get a Realcode routine which scans for issues that "roughly" qualify for Bill Williams' Wiseman1.  Earlier, someone had sent me similiar code, which I copied and pasted into my Realcode, and modified slightly.  I have a SMA19 of price and a SMA90 of volume.  When I attempt to compile, MA and VolAvg are undefined.  Can you help me debug this?  Following is the copy/paste of the Realcode in question:  

'# MA = movingaverage.indicator
'# VolAvg = movingaverage.indicator.2
If price.high < MA.value * .99 AndAlso _
 price.low < price.low(1) AndAlso price.close > (price.high + price.low) / 2 AndAlso _
 VolAvg.value > 500 then pass
Hlprr
Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2010 8:54:54 PM
-Bruce,

When I learn to compile the above post without errors, the next step is to replace SMA19 with the Jaw, (Blue line in Bill_Williams[1]) line.  Can you tell me how to effect this?
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, January 21, 2010 11:46:15 AM

Worden Trainer

Hlprr,
If you Drag and Drop one of the Moving Averages into the RealCode Editor, it should create something similar to the following line (the actual name of the Indicator might differ or have a .x at the end):

'# MA = indicator.MovingAverage

Doing so again with other Moving Average should create something very similar. Since both Moving Averages will probably be initially assigned a name of MA, you should be able to leave the SMA19 of Price alone. You'll want to change the name assigned to the Moving Average of Volume from MA to VolAvg so it matches the RealCode Rule that was given to you by your friend however.

Using the Jaw instead of the SMA19 is very similar. Dragging and Dropping it into the RealCode Editor should create something very similar to the following line (the same caveats from above still apply):

'# Jaw = indicator.Jaw

You can either replace the variable name assigned from Jaw to MA in this line or you can replace all of the MA references in the rest of the RealCode to Jaw to use the Jaw Indicator instead of the SMA19 in your RealCode Rule.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Hlprr
Posted : Monday, January 25, 2010 2:57:22 PM
*****************FOUR QUESTIONS***************************************************
1....Can I create a dataname for the Awesome Oscillator, so that I can use it in the logic of my code?  For example, in my search, I would like to have code that tested for Awesome Oscillator > 0, or < 0.

2....Do you have a definition for Alligator Oscillator Oscillator?  I am unfamiliar with that from Bill Williams' books.  Both AO and AC are known to me.

3.....Do you have code for any other Bill Williams indicators?  For example "Squat," "Fake," "Green," or "Fade"?

4.....Can I use data from the Telechart Data Sheet in my StockFinder searches?
Hlprr
Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 10:20:33 AM
How do I create a StockFinder watchlist from issues that pass my searches?  In Telechart there are a number of methods of creating subsets of watchlists from other watchlists (other than manual rekeying).
Do any exist in StockFinder?

Can I create watchlists directly from my scans?
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, January 26, 2010 3:49:50 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (Hlprr)
Can I create a dataname for the Awesome Oscillator, so that I can use it in the logic of my code?  For example, in my search, I would like to have code that tested for Awesome Oscillator > 0, or < 0.

If you Drag and Drop the Awesome Oscillator from the Chart attached to my Monday, November 09, 2009 1:39:04 PM ET post in the finding old posts topic into the RealCode Editor, it should create something similar to the first line of the following RealCode Rule:

'# AO = indicator.AwesomeOscillator
If AO.Value > 0 Then Pass

QUOTE (Hlprr)
Do you have a definition for Alligator Oscillator Oscillator?  I am unfamiliar with that from Bill Williams' books.  Both AO and AC are known to me.

The portion above the zero line is the absolute value of the Jaw minus the Teeth. The portion below the zero line is the negative of the absolute value of the Jaw minus Lips.

QUOTE (Hlprr)
Do you have code for any other Bill Williams indicators?  For example "Squat," "Fake," "Green," or "Fade"?

These are used to Paint the Market Facilitation Index (MFI) in the previously mentioned Chart. Squat is blue, Fake is red, Green is green and Fade is gray.

QUOTE (Hlprr)
Can I use data from the Telechart Data Sheet in my StockFinder searches?

Not unless you have the Platinum Suite (which would allow you to use historical versions of the fundamentals).

QUOTE (Hlprr)
How do I create a StockFinder watchlist from issues that pass my searches?

Highlight the symbols that pass and then right-click on the Watchlist and select Add To Another List | Selected Symbols | (New List) | OK.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Hlprr
Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 2:30:21 PM
The stock sort is super slow.  Is there any way to speed this up?  I have a fast chip and plenty of memory, therefore all records should sort (sort/Merge) in a very few minutes, but the current sort (probably a tag sort) takes around 2 hours.

That's not all, it goes to sleep and has to be restarted from time to time.  How can I avoid this condition?
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:15:08 PM

Worden Trainer

Other than decreasing the Number of Bars used under Settings | Data Manager or deleting portions of the Layout you aren't using (the Bill Williams Layout has years of additional feature requests in it that most people aren't going to use), I really can't think of any way to speed it up.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
OzAsh
Posted : Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:48:29 PM
probably going to regret this post but here goes nothing.

Reading through the thread it is obvious that no-one has the faintest idea how Bills system works (please note, I am NOT talking to the worden dudes here - they are AWESOME at helping us).

You DO have the complete system already.
Bruce gave it to you.
But you are intent on fiddling with it.

IF you read his books (ALL of them) you will have  a fair idea what to do.
If you do his course and private tutorial you will KNOW EXACTLY what to do.
Scanning for AO stuff is a waste  of time as it measures the Elliot wave and that is an ungrounded assessment (tip - start with price action) THEN look at the AO (forget the AC and the Alligator oscillator).

When you do Bills course he makes it clear that it will take at least a year for the average person to "get it". I did not believe it as of course I am way smarter than the average person.

Ooops really wrong attitude.
It DOES take longer than a year (unless you are brand new to trading and know nothing). During that year I came to believe I was WAY dumber than the average person - nice attitude for a trader to have by the way.

Anyway to cut a long story short look at PRICE action first THEN the AO.
You should have no trouble scanning for bars that Bill talks about. Some days I have 10 or 15 (out of 2100) others I have many hundreds to wade through.
Sorry to butt in but hope what I have said helps a little.
Ash
Hlprr
Posted : Friday, January 29, 2010 12:09:52 PM
Ash-

Good to hear from a BW veteran.  I am not a trading novice, nor a BW novice.  I have read all 3 of his books, multiple times.  I assure you, I read these book over one year ago (I will not say how much over one year).  After all this time, I still struggle with BW's greatest rule, "Take only what the market is willing to give."

Will you be willing to share the nuts and bolts of your trading system?  I, too, am a dummy, I know this because the market regularily tells me so.  Therefore, the generalities of your post will help me only if I know what part of BW's system has been successful for you.  It sounds as if you may be a Wiseman2 invester.

If you don't want to post the details of your trading rules, my eMail is jxpickett@gmail.com

Joe 

II 
Hlprr
Posted : Monday, February 1, 2010 3:41:58 PM

Bruce

Can I use the exchange. on which an issue is listed. in my search?  If so, what is the dataname or string name to use?

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, February 2, 2010 9:26:19 AM

Worden Trainer

I do not know of a way to reference the Exchange using RealCode.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Hlprr
Posted : Monday, February 8, 2010 1:40:18 AM
In the "Quick Start" section of the RealCode Reference Manual
a test is suggested--"Plot = Price.Close".  When try this test I
get a compiler error--"Name 'Plot" is not declared".  I also tried
PlotColor with the same result.  Why doesn't this tricky little API
compiler like me?
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, February 8, 2010 10:26:00 AM

Worden Trainer

It reads like you are using the RealCode for a RealCode Indicator in a Realcode Rule (or Condition). The Plot syntax is only valid in a RealCode Indicator, the PlotColor syntax is only valid in a RealCode Paint Brush (or Paint Scheme) and the Pass syntax is only valid as part of a RealCode Rule (or Condition).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles