Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Pivot point as plotted in Freestockcharts.com Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
devtrader
Posted : Monday, December 14, 2009 9:45:22 PM
Hello Trainer,
 Can I have pivot point src code for Stockfinder ? I want the custom pivot point should work same as in Freestockcharts.com.
R3
R2
R1

PivotPoint
S1
S2
S3

Thanks in advance
DevTrader
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:57:57 PM

Worden Trainer

You should be able to Open an attached Indicator directly into a running copy of StockFinder (and save it from within StockFinder if desired). The attached Indicator is the closest StockFinder Indicator I have been able to create so far to the FreeStockCharts.com version of Pivot Points.

Attachments:
Pivot_Points.sfIndRC - 22 KB, downloaded 1,569 time(s).

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
devtrader
Posted : Tuesday, December 15, 2009 6:05:43 PM
Hi Bruce,
First of all I appreciate your effort on VBS pivotpoint code.
  I added your src codePivotpoints.sfindRC. It just draws another wave. I don't know how this is called pivot point . As far as my knowledge goes  I  asked for Pivot point which does plots like this.
R3
R2
R1

PivotPoint
S1
S2
S3

However your code doesn't give any information above and doesn't serve the purpose of the Pivot point. It is very unfortunate that Worden brother  offers pivot point  which is a strong indicator on a free charting software(freestockcharts.com) but not on a paid charting software which is more rich in feature and asked by so many technical traders.  Is  that so hard to incorporate a pivot point  indicator with Telechart and stockFinder charts when it exists in one of your product ? Doesn't make any sense to me  at all.
Thanks
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 4:57:00 PM

Worden Trainer

Could you try Opening the RealCode Indicator from the forums again and let us know exactly what is different?

When I load the Indicator it brings up a Price History Pane with all seven horizontal Pivot Point lines drawn across the Chart (with Labels). The values and colors of the lines match the values of the Pivot Points in FreeStochCharts.com. Other than the Labels being on the right instead of the left, I'm not seeing much difference between the two.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
devtrader
Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 5:22:30 PM
Thanks to me  for being patience so far. First of all it doesn't work  as directed with the assistance of the tech support person "ROYAL". I have to reset the Stockfinder. then add pivot point indicator. it created in a bottom panel with OHLC bar chart and pivot point lines. I dragged overlayed on the main chart end up having two price historys, two scales, two candlesticks overlaped terrible looking chart. can't remove the primary price history because Remove option not available. tech support "ROYAL" and me struggled for some time which is not pleasant but alas. The reason it took some time to get back to you is I didn't able to have it work on my own and then trying to get it work by the help of tech support
I don't know how you claim it is working when we both were struggling to make it work. If you have any better solution of this indicator we can work together, otherwise we can Close this thread assuming there is no solution for this Request.
StockGuy
Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 10:14:36 AM

Administration

The indicator is working fine for me.   Add it to your chart and then just hide the original price plot by tabbing it to the side of the chart if you don't want to be distracted by it.
Rincon
Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 4:08:15 PM
Thanks Bruce - I found this info helpful and it worked in StockFinder
-Rincon
devtrader
Posted : Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:42:03 AM
Hello Bruce,
 The pivot point real code indicator you developed  "Pivot_Points.sfIndRC", I want some modification. It is very hard to read candles  when the pivot points prices display at the right end of the screen.  Since the candles get generated at the right end, it is very hard to read candles sometimes ,when it overlaps on the price. The settings for each of (PP,R1,R2,S1S2 etc...)  to display price (settings "Offset direction") I can do very little to mover around prices. The settings (Upper Left/above/left etc... in the dropdown box displays) cause the price chopped at the right end except two.  
Now here is my request :
(1) Is it possible for you to replicate the display of pivot points as it is in Freestockcharts either center/more on the left  side of the  pivot line.
(2) OR you can provide a slider (example Like in Label font size) so that I can adjust  the displayed  price on left or center part of the pivot line .

Thanks and appreciate  for all  you do for us.
Devtrader
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, March 4, 2010 3:47:25 PM

Worden Trainer

QUOTE (devtrader)
Is it possible for you to replicate the display of pivot points as it is in Freestockcharts either center/more on the left  side of the  pivot line.

I have not been able to figure out a way to duplicate the FreeStockChart placement of the Labels in StockFinder.

QUOTE (devtrader)
OR you can provide a slider (example Like in Label font size) so that I can adjust  the displayed  price on left or center part of the pivot line .

No. Doing so is beyond my abilities (I am not a programmer).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
devtrader
Posted : Wednesday, March 10, 2010 11:57:27 PM
I  have another and final question on Pivot point(Pivot_Points.sfIndRC). . Is it possible to get a real code  which can display  the midpoints (as in Freestockcharts.com) between PP, R1,R2,R3,S1,S2,S3..
devtrader
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:59:08 AM

Worden Trainer

devtrader,
You should be able to Open an attached Indicator directly into a running copy of StockFinder (and save it from within StockFinder if desired). You could also Save the Indicator into the \My Documents\StockFinder\(Your Username)\My Indicators\ folder and then load it like you would any other Indicator (for StockFinder 5, use the \My Documents\StockFinder5\(Your Username)\My Indicators\ folder instead).

Attachments:
Pivot_Points_Mid.sfIndRC - 29 KB, downloaded 1,125 time(s).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
devtrader
Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 1:08:59 AM
thx Bruce.... you are the man.
NOTE: It doesn't make any sense to me, why Worden doesn't make this indicator available for Stockfinder, When there are so many request  in the forum for this indicator and it is available in the free product(Freestockcharts.com).
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, March 12, 2010 8:32:26 AM

Worden Trainer

devtrader,
I can't speak as to why they haven't done so generally, but they can't add my version because it probably should be a child indicator like in FreeStockCharts.com and mine is a parent indicator that includes the Price History (and as you can attest, this can cause some consternation). Unfortunately there isn't a way for customers to create and save child indicators in the current version of StockFinder and that limitation applies to me as well.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
devtrader
Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 12:28:04 PM
Hi Bruce,
 The pivot point mid.sfRC is not working since last weekend. I can see all the lines PP, R1, S1 etc but the price is not displaying at the right end of the line. Not changed any realcodes. could you please take a look at it.
Thanks
Devtrader
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, April 19, 2010 12:29:58 PM

Worden Trainer

Edit the Indicators and make sure Show Custom Labels is checked for each of the Indicators.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
devtrader
Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:15:52 PM
The problem still exists. I have attached a chart ("Dev_PivotMidPoint") under share directory for you to take a look at it. 
thankx
devtrader
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, April 21, 2010 4:16:03 PM

Worden Trainer

This is fixed in the StockFinder 5.0.12.24169 development build and should be fixed in the next production build (but I'm not sure when that will be released).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
topnras
Posted : Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:32:57 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Bruce,
How do I copy your file on pivot points and transfer on to Real Code in Stock Finder?

Thanks again for your help,

Topnras
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:47:58 AM

Worden Trainer

topnras,
Left-click on the attachment in either my Tuesday, December 15, 2009 2:57:57 PM ET post or Thursday, March 11, 2010 9:59:08 AM ET post (depending on which you want). You will be given the option to Open or Save the attachment (the terminology may differ depending on the browser, but the options will normally be the same or similar).

Opening it should bring up the Indicator within StockFinder. You should then be able to Save the Indicator from within StockFinder.

If that doesn't work or if you would rather Save it directly from the webpage, choose the Save option and send it to the \My Documents\StockFinder\(Your Username)\My Indicators\ folder and then load it like you would any other Indicator (for StockFinder 5, use the \My Documents\StockFinder5\(Your Username)\My Indicators\ folder instead).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
topnras
Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:29:51 AM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Bruce,
Thanks again for your guidance. Still trying to get the Pivot Points to come up in Stock Finder. Tried what you suggested and no luck. Any other suggestions ?

Thanks,

Topnras
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, May 4, 2010 11:50:12 AM

Worden Trainer

topnras,
I cannot think of an easier way to describe the process. You may want to try contacting technical support to see if they can take you through it step-by-step.

All e-mail communication sent to support@worden.com during business hours (Monday through Friday 9AM-11PM and Saturday and Sunday 9AM-3PM ET) should be answered within 20 minutes of arrival.

For an even quicker response to tech support questions, we recommend calling our voice line at (919) 408-0542 (there is no phone support on Sundays, some Market Holidays or after 9PM ET on weekdays).

You can also contact us using Live Chat Support during business hours.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Designer
Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 10:44:35 AM
Bruce,
Thanks,  great indicator.... I have a request, I am trying to create a condition but can't figure it out. 
Goes like this:

If price crosses up thru R2 or R1 or PP or S1 or S2 AND 
price  crosses down thru R2 or R1 or PP or S1 or S2 five bars ago or less AND
price close this bar is above R2 or R1 or PP or S1 or S2

Similarly...
If price crosses down thru R2 or R1 or PP or S1 or S2 AND 
price  crosses up thru R2 or R1 or PP or S1 or S2 five bars ago or less AND
price close this bar is below R2 or R1 or PP or S1 or S2

In SF5 I was able to create a single condition like so ...

If price crosses up thru R2  AND 
price  crosses down thru R2  five bars ago or less AND
price close this bar is above R2 

but I'm not sure how to do a combined condition for all instances. Thanks in advance
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 11:16:35 AM

Worden Trainer

Designer,
Please keep in mind that the following Condition cannot be used for backtesting because the Indicators on which it is based only have current Values (it also requires the Pivot Point Indicator given above to be on the Chart and using the same Indicator names when it is created).

'# PP = chart.PP
'# R1 = chart.R1
'# S1 = chart.S1
'# R2 = chart.R2
'# S2 = chart.S2
If (Price.Last > PP.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MinClose(5, 1) < PP.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MaxClose(5, 2) > PP.Value) OrElse _
    (Price.Last > R1.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MinClose(5, 1) < R1.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MaxClose(5, 2) > R1.Value) OrElse _
    (Price.Last > S1.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MinClose(5, 1) < S1.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MaxClose(5, 2) > S1.Value) OrElse _
    (Price.Last > R2.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MinClose(5, 1) < R2.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MaxClose(5, 2) > R2.Value) OrElse _
    (Price.Last > S2.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MinClose(5, 1) < S2.Value AndAlso _
    Price.MaxClose(5, 2) > S2.Value) Then
    Pass
End If

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Designer
Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 11:28:59 AM
Bruce,
Is there a way to modify the indicator so it can be applied historically as well?
Thanks again
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 11:38:59 AM

Worden Trainer

Designer,
My Tuesday, June 03, 2008 1:41:05 PM ET post in Real Code Help has a version that Plots historical Values. You need to add one copy of the Indicator for each Pivot Point Line you wish to Plot and set the type of Pivot Point and Time Frame for each.

To use it with the RealCode Condition given in my Friday, August 27, 2010 11:16:35 AM ET post, you would want to name each of the RealCode Indicators as PP, R1, S1, R2 or S2 as they are created.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Designer
Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 12:14:35 PM
Thanks again, Is the condition created above able to give me a condition column on my watchlist and be able to sort it. For some reason I can not get it to do it.
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, August 27, 2010 12:24:03 PM

Worden Trainer

Designer,
Yes, it should work as a WatchList Condition (and does so on my computer). If your Time Frame is short enough, you may need to add the following line to the RealCode to force it to use enough data (but this could slow it down dramatically):

'# Cumulative

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jimmyg
Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:40:25 PM
Bruce,

First, thanks for your help!... but I'm not there yet.....

I've loaded the file from your first reply on this topic....

Pivot_Points.sfIndRC

into Stockfinder.... Then...

On a chart I open it as an indicator pane... like the original price pane or a macd pane....   so at that point I have a new pane with price and the PP S1... etc.

Next I have thumbtacked the original price pane of the chart off to the left and moved the new price pane (with Price PP R1 S1...etc.) to the top of the Stockfinder layout.

The layout main chart is a 1 Minute chart with the (Price PP R1 S1...etc) pane as the top pane.  I think we should call this a Pivot Point Price Pane or a PPP pane....

So far, so good, but no help yet...   (I'm on a 1 Minute Chart).   When moving the mouse around on the chart, I notice changes to the top headings for PP, S1, S2...etc.    Still no PP lines on the chart.... So

I change the chart from 1 Minute to a Daily chart....   BINGO!.... we've got some lines...   Back to 1 Minute, no lines.   Back to Daily and we have lines.

Frustration has now changed to hope! 

It looks like the lines are drawn with the correct values... so I think we are getting there...

I have left clicked on the PP in the chart heading and edited it to show custom labels ...  also edited the others R1, S1... etc. to show custom labels....    So I can see the values of each in the heading of the chart.

When I switch the chart to 1 Minute... these values go to zero.....  So, they are just not being calculated correctly for 1 Minute charts.

Looking at the code for the indicators R1... etc, I can see why...   Well, I don't actually see where the code needs to be modified, but here's the key....

On any given day, the PPs (PP, R1, S1,..etc) are values that are calculated from the previous day's price activity.  They do not change throughout the current day, because they are calculated from yesterday's prices.

For me, PPs are only useful for an intra-day chart, and I think what you have can be modified fairly easily to use yesterday's High, Low, and Close to fix the problem on an intra-day chart.

Others may want more, as PPs are applicable to each (A) day's chart....  To extrapolate,  PPs make no sense at all on what Stockfinder calls daily, weekly, etc charts.....   Any chart that is made up of plots (price bars, lines, candles or whatever..)  that are for 1 day or more should not have pivot points... 

So, please forgive if I've missed it something in the discussion chain above, but at least I think you can see where we're (I am) at. 

Please Help,

Jimmyg    
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:47:48 PM

Worden Trainer

I suspect you just aren't using enough data to calculate the Pivot Points for a 1-Minute Chart. You need to be using enough data to have all of both today and yesterday on the Chart (because you can't know yesterday's High and Low if all of yesterday's data is not available).

I would suggest using a setting of at least 781 under Settings | Data Manager | Number of Intraday Bars (there are normally 390 1-Minute Bars in each Trading Day).

Another suggestion would be that it is possible to Drag and Drop the Pivot Points onto the Price History Indicator itself (not just into the Pane) and select Overlay with Price History to get the Pivot Points into the Price History Pane instead of Pinning the Price History Pane. You can then delete one of the Price History Plots if desired.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jimmyg
Posted : Thursday, November 18, 2010 5:08:23 PM

Bingo!!!  

Setting ...Settings | Data Manager | Number of Intraday Bars  --  to 800 did the trick!

Also the drag and drop instructions worked.

Thanks for your help.
ssteve
Posted : Wednesday, January 5, 2011 5:32:51 PM
Hi Bruce,

Pivot points are working great for me, looking at YESTERDAY's data.  That works fine if I am trading intraday in real-time.

But what if I want to do some projections based on pivot points after the close (say at night before market opens next day). The current formula seems to always calcuate based on yesterday's (or it seems). But when doing pivot point projections after close, I really want it to calc. off of the current day's close.

Anyway to do that.

Thanks!
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 10:40:21 AM

Worden Trainer

That's the way Pivot Points are normally drawn. They are based on yesterdays Daily values and don't change until you have new values for today.

I've created a version that should be based on the data that is available for the current day so far instead.

Attachments:
Pivot_Points_Current_Day_Based.sfIndRC - 22 KB, downloaded 872 time(s).

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
ssteve
Posted : Thursday, January 6, 2011 2:42:43 PM
Thanks a lot, Bruce.  That should work great!
jz94117
Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:34:51 PM
Bruce,How do you "tab" a price plot??Jim."The indicator is working fine for me. Add it to your chart and then just hide the original price plot by tabbing it to the side of the chart if you don't want to be distracted by it."
Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:38:08 PM

Worden Trainer

There is a little pushpin icon near the upper left hand corner of each Pane. Left-clicking it should pin the Pane to the side of the Chart as a tab.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jz94117
Posted : Tuesday, January 11, 2011 2:44:54 PM
Oh, that's what you meant. Thanks.Jim.
hawkeyejjl
Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:03:02 PM

Bruce:

Can you please do a small modification to your pivot points...rc code and give the code a different name.

The formula would be:

pivot point = ((Today's Open) + Yesterday's(H+L+C))/4

Thanks, 

Jeff

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 1:21:47 PM

Worden Trainer

The RealCode for the Pivot Point itself would become (replace everything below the Inherits line in the Class tab of a RealCode Indicator with the following):

Sub New
		AutoLoop = False
	End Sub
	Public Overrides Function Plot() As System.Single
		Dim Boundary As Boolean = False
		Dim	Components(3) As Single
		Dim i As Integer = Price.Bar.Count - 1
		While Boundary = False AndAlso i > 2
			If Price.Bar.DateValue(i).DayOfYear <> Price.Bar.DateValue(i - 1).DayOfYear Then
				Components(0) = Price.Bar.HighValue(i - 1)
				Components(1) = Price.Bar.LowValue(i - 1)
				Components(2) = Price.Bar.Value(i - 1)
				Components(3) = Price.Bar.OpenValue(i)
				Boundary = True
			End If
			i -= 1
		End While
		If Boundary = True Then
			Boundary = False
			While Boundary = False AndAlso i > 1
				Components(0) = System.Math.Max(Components(0), Price.Bar.HighValue(i))
				Components(1) = System.Math.Min(Components(1), Price.Bar.LowValue(i))
				If Price.Bar.DateValue(i).DayOfYear <> Price.Bar.DateValue(i - 1).DayOfYear Then
					Boundary = True
				End If
				i -= 1
			End While
			If Boundary = True Then
				Dim PP As Single = (Components(0) + Components(1) + Components(2) + Components(3)) / 4
				For i = 0 To Price.Bar.Count - 2
					AddToOutput(Price.Bar.DateValue(i), PP)
				Next
				AddToOutput(Price.Bar.DateValue(Price.Bar.Count - 1), PP, "PP " & PP.ToString("0.000"))
			End If
		End If
	End Function
End Class

But I do not know how this would change the other pivot points.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
hawkeyejjl
Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:34:04 PM

Bruce:

Thanks, I will start to experiment with this code.

Jeff

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:36:10 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles