Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Question to Telechart Users Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jz94117
Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2009 11:06:43 PM
My renewal date is coming up.  I am wondering if I should simply renew Telechart Gold or get the added Stockfinder software.  Any advice from you Telechart old timers?  Are you happy with the capabilities of Stockfinder?  Or are they simply too standardized (finding golden crosses, etc.)  Is the "Real Code" worth studying?  Thanks for all your adv ice.

Jim.
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2009 8:33:38 AM

Worden Trainer

I'm a bit biased (and think the extra power of StockFinder is worth it), so I would suggest asking a similar question in the Stock and Market Talk forum where other traders are more likely to see your question and comment. You asked the question in an appropriate place, but the TeleChart General Discussion forum doesn't get much traffic by comparison and I'm afraid you won't get enough responses to make an informed decision.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
rkoby
Posted : Wednesday, November 25, 2009 9:09:04 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I have been using Telechart for many years.  I have used stock finder off and on over time as it has been developed.   I think it has reached a point where the charting abilities are very good.  However,  telechart still provides the best way i know to keep notes on each security you follow that are synchronized to that security.  I think keeping a journal of your trading is essential to being long term successful.   Stock finder wants you do that in a blog apparently and the blog has all your notes on different securities mashed together.   In my view, that is pretty useless.  If you are just interested in technical analysis then stock finder seems superior to telechart at this point. 
jz94117
Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2009 12:05:11 PM
There's a limit on how many indicators I want to look at. I believe in KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.
gasminder
Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:20:33 AM
I was a very long-time TC user who added SF at my last renewal.  Probably about 6 months ago.  I now do ALL my charting in SF and in fact recently "broke down" and started tracking watchlists internally rather than keeping them in TC.  TC is still better for FINDING stocks that meet certain criteria and has notes (both personal & Worden).   SF is a better charting package - even if KISS is your motto because you can use rules etc to simplify your charting.  That's probably not clear but what I mean is you can paint your chart according to simple rules thus allowing you to more quickly see the status of a stock.  I like to plot stops on my charts and this can be done in SF but not TC - in TC you can plot them as a custom indicator but in SF you can make them show on a chart like stops.  Real code is more powerful than the TC script - but I haven't spent the time to learn it because I believe in KISS myself and can do everything I need without it. 

Biggest downside of SF in my mind are: 1) lack of notes where you can document your ideas with an attached chart.  2) lack of BOP, I have found BOP to not be worth using 80% of the time but when it gives a strong divergence that signal is VERY valuable therefore I like to be able to check it.  3) SF 4 still acts buggy at times.  I see we're already onto v 5 beta (sigh......)

SF is great.  The cost of adding it to an existing TC license is pretty darn low.
Golfman25
Posted : Sunday, December 20, 2009 5:57:20 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

I tried stockfinder with my last renewal.  Unfortunately, I have no idea what Worden is doing with their products.  Stock finder was interesting and seemed powerful, BUT it lacks the best parts of TC.  I have no idea why they don't inlcude notes in Stockfinder -- That is such an inportant part of TC and user after user has mentioned the lack of notes as a concern.  I use notes and thus Stockfinder is virtually worthless to me.  I thougth the backtesting would be helpful, but it is woefully inadequate.  Now they have version 5 comming out.  If it was me, I would add the best parts of TC -- notes, chat, worden comenary, BOP, etc -- to stockfinder thereby unifying the products. 

To answer your question, I would just got with TC utill they merge the programs, if ever.  Unless, you are a techinical analysis junkie and could use the "power" of stockfinder.  Good luck.