Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Multple Entries in the same stock ? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
strategy123
Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 10:10:02 PM

Have a simple buy setup and was wondering if SF can enter multiple positions in the same stock each time the same buy critieria is met.  For example,  buying each time a 21 day high is reached and exiting all positions if the 50SMA is penetrated.  Is this possible ?  thx

jas0501
Posted : Friday, October 2, 2009 11:32:09 PM

Not in the backscanner as only one position is permitted, however you can write it in realcode and plot the equity curve. Then compose a custom index of the equity curves for the overall picture of the strategy.

strategy123
Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 10:50:13 AM
QUOTE (jas0501)

Not in the backscanner as only one position is permitted, however you can write it in realcode and plot the equity curve. Then compose a custom index of the equity curves for the overall picture of the strategy.

thx....  but not sure I understand this at all.  I'm familiar with realcode but really don't know what you mean "write it in realcode and plot the equity curve".   I know how to create a custom index of a watch list but not sure how any of this links together.   I guess I'm not famliar enough with it.
jas0501
Posted : Monday, October 5, 2009 1:21:06 PM
QUOTE (strategy123)
QUOTE (jas0501)

thx....  but not sure I understand this at all.  I'm familiar with realcode but really don't know what you mean "write it in realcode and plot the equity curve".   I know how to create a custom index of a watch list but not sure how any of this links together.   I guess I'm not famliar enough with it.

Basicly the idea is to manage the trades in real code. Here is a very simple sketch, uncompiled, untested, with incomplete logic but presenting the gist.

'# commision = userinput.integer = 10
'# positionSize = userinput.integer = 10000

Static equity as single
static entryPrice(10) as single
static inTrade as boolean
static openTradeCount

dim gain as single
dim shares as integer

if isfirstbar then
   equity = 0
   tradeCount = 0
end if
'
' code to mange entry
'
if entryCondition then
   tradeCount += 1
   ' buy tomorrow's open
   entryPrice(tradeCount) = price.open(-1)
   shares = positionSize/price.open(-1)
   equity -= shares* price.open(-1)   - commission
end if
'
' code to mange exist for each open trade or for all open trade
'
if exitCondition then
      equity += price.close(-1) - entryPrice(whichTrade) - commission
      entryPrice(whichTrade) = 0
      tradeCount -= 1
     '
     '   adjust entry_Price array to compress and fill gap caused by trade close
     '   if each trades exit condition is unique to the trade
     '  otherwise the trade closes would be in a loop if exit all trades
     '
end if
gain = 0
for i as integer = 1 to openTradeCount
     gain += price.close - entryPrice
next  i
plot = equity + gain

As I said a rough sketch, but the plot will show the equity curve for that stock starting at 0 and reflecting the totals gain or loss over the history of the symbol.

The custom index:total of the equity plot show the overall Profit/loss of the strategy.

One last note, this approach assumes infinite funds and a starting balance per stock of $0.

strategy123
Posted : Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:05:12 AM

Very interesting.  Thx... 

meast
Posted : Sunday, November 14, 2010 12:06:24 PM
TX jas for the post.  It took a yr but I have one that seems to work. Is there any way to set the period for the calculation, as you would in backscanner?  I would prefer to test only a few years but the indicator shows equity for all price data since 1991.
mick