Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

looking for reversal Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
intothetrade
Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:04:22 AM
futures on the rise, should keep your eyeballs open for a reversal before lunch
diceman
Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 8:29:47 AM
I assume you mean the market open will  reverse to bearish today.

Not that the downtrend of the last few days will reverse upward?

Thanks
diceman

intothetrade
Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:01:31 AM
i was referring to an intraday or 1 day trade... earlier it was looking like the market just wanted to runa bit higher to get out of the oversold territory before it headed any lower

but right now it looks like its taking a small dip already.. will have to keep our eyes open to find it

if anything, it looks like itll run pretty flat for most of the morning
ben2k9
Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:11:38 AM

If we get a decent sized correction starting now, it will have been one of the most widely anticipated corrections of all time.

Everyone and their mother knows the market is supposed to correct now.  Because it's september, because the market has come too far too fast, etc, etc, etc.

Not to say it won't happen, but the last time something was remotely this anticipated was the "head and shoulders top" in July.
tobydad
Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 9:34:50 AM

It looks to me like the ultra-shorts were ready for a brief pause (as I said in another post). I'm confident they'll be monsters later.

intothetrade
Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 10:11:22 AM
there she blows
intothetrade
Posted : Thursday, September 3, 2009 11:18:53 AM
spy pushing down again
Vyrd
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 2:20:53 PM
QUOTE (ben2k9)
If we get a decent sized correction starting now, it will have been one of the most widely anticipated corrections of all time.

Really?  The firm that I have a sizable chunk of my recent inheritance with has had me in all cash since April while they wait until "they can make sense of the market".  They have recently (late Aug) been pushing me to allow them to start dollar-cost-averaging in, I have been expecting a correction and told them to hold off.  I am also thinking of taking my business to another firm anyway for a variety of reasons beside this boneheaded missed opportunity, being in cash will make this easier.   

I was directed to them by the person who handled my mother's financial affairs, it was not my selection although I went along with it and hoped for the best, but I am depressed and disgusted with their performance to date and told them so, in those exact terms.  This has not endeared us to each other.

If I was as good as some of the regulars here (no comments from BB pleez) I would just invest it myself, but I am a suck@ss investor and trader.  Trading large amts instead of my piddly low 5-figure Roth acct would only hurt my already poor performance.
intothetrade
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:00:48 PM
its funny that you mentioned a money manager, i recently saw someones account statement as their money is being managed by someone at merril lynch and sadly their account is down 95.56%
intothetrade
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:01:21 PM
by the way, thats just for this year
sailnadream
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:12:55 PM
I found if very helpful to paper trade.  My Track has a decent system.  Also I am putting less money in at risk until I feel more confident.  After last years collapse i'm not sure I can trust anyone with my money.  I'd rather watch the market carefully and learn.  It takes time.  I figure if I can weather this volatile market trading , and use it to learn good risk management skills I will do quite well when we really are in a true (not so questionable) bull market.  

Sail
Vyrd
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:31:49 PM
I get discouraged with trading and then don't do anything for months at a time.  I was using Telechart to make allocations in my 403B with some success (8-18% per qtr a lot of the time) but I took my eye off the ball when two members of my family died within two months of each other and lost several years worth of gains in a few months last year.   

Too bad about your aquaintance at Merrill Lynch.  That's why I am here, to learn so I can do it myself without losing money or putting up with condescending lectures about market timing from overpaid gnomes (there's a hint at to the investment firm). 

Since I posted my TSF system results back in April I am down around 7% in my trading acct, not good especially compared to the market's gains.  I have changed it a lot since then, but's just hypothetical until I start making money with it.

I did have a one-day gain of 7% on RODM last week, but this was after a 70% runup since I got a signal (I was still tinkering with my system and wasn't doing my daily runs as I should), and then it was up 4-5% the day after I sold it.  As of yesterday it is up +129% since the 8/15/09 signal and 25% since I took my profits.  I have had other trades that I decided not to take for one reason or another (THD, EIS) that would have been wildly successful.
intothetrade
Posted : Saturday, September 5, 2009 3:35:50 PM
whenever people are starting out or testing something out.. i usually suggest to them to try a simple stock that moves with the market like SPY because its not susceptible to news, earnings announcements, etc like individual stocks so theres no chance of a massive move like your everyday stocks