Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

If 2008 Was A Bad Year, Wait For Whats Coming Into 2009! Hello.. This Is A Bear Market! Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
signaltap
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 5:58:59 AM
davidjohnhall
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 8:21:44 AM

If you are trading correctly there is no such thing as a "bad" year, in my opinion.  Assigning lables such as "good" or "bad" is an emotional response and can create biases.  The market is always just doing what it is doing.  No one said markets are always supposed to go up.  And they certainly don't always go down.

Good luck everyone.  And much success for all in 2009!
diceman
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:18:39 AM
Excellent point davidjohnhall.

Unless you have to own the SP-500 for some
reason. All that really matters is what you buy
and sell.

The secert is I never tell my account which we
are in.
(it doesnt know how to plot indicators so sometimes
just for fun I tell it we are still above the 200 day moving
average. heh, heh)

Thanks
diceman

djdhrubs
Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 4:38:14 PM
so the dow closed above 9000, convincingly but on low volume.  no big sell off at the end of the day.  signaltap, are you sticking by your assertion that now might be the time to buy individual stocks, or does the low volume still put you off and make you bearish next week?

apsll, tobydad...great stock picks for this week, with several posting massive gains in the last few days.  i know you don't go by news, more by technicals.  but obama i believe starts a discussion about the new stimulus package this sunday.  one would expect bullish quotes on sunday, followed by a continuing rally in the first half of the week.  yet technically, the low volume makes one think that this rally isn't sustainable, and that the heavy duty trading which will start next week ought to push the market down.

so i guess i'm asking you, technically, what the charts tell you will happen next week?  is the low volume outweighed by the breaking of the psychological 9000 barrier?  is obama's discussions not a factor in your thinking?  apsll, i noticed signaltap thinks GS is now a great short...do you agree, or are you still in it?

i myself got into SOLF and AIG, with mixed success.  good luck to everyone, and here's to hoping for some good volume next week...!
tobydad
Posted : Friday, January 2, 2009 6:37:55 PM

from the looks of many of my charts, I thought we were going to bounce down today. I set pretty tight stops this morning. Lucky for me, none of them were triggered while I was out working. So, another good day.

Thanks be to God. 

I'm definitely setting very tight stops these days. Diceman will slap my wrist but my plan these days is wait for the low end of channels, buy really good stocks and get out within 3-7 days with good profits. 

I think the world is flying high irrationally on our new President. His election was won largely by people who have little to do with structuring of our economy. (That's not a political statement, or, at least, not intended as one; just an observation.) The point is this, I think we may have some exuberance which will be exploited a la Golfman's astute statements about the markets. Once people start thinking about the new capital gains taxes there may be some profit taking prior to. This is all we will need to trigger another round of sell offs.
diceman
Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 8:55:33 AM
"Diceman will slap my wrist but my plan these days is wait for the low end of channels, buy really good stocks and get out within 3-7 days with good profits."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Never Tobydad. Make money "by any means necessary". Most of what I've
said relates to me in bull markets but as the song goes: you gotta know
when to holdem, know when to foldem.

At heart I'm a rule breaker. Tell me something cant be done and its exactly
what I like to do. I look at it as my way to stick a pin in the voodoo doll of
the closed mind.

By the way don't forget about earnings. In March 2007 estimates for
SP500 earnings were $92. In January 2009 there $48.05. As this
number falls based on PE ratio the market gets more expensive.

Thanks
diceman

tobydad
Posted : Saturday, January 3, 2009 12:05:12 PM

Diceman;

Great point on the cost of the market. Good insight. 

Keep your head on a swivel next week, folks. VIX looks ready for a turn around; even if temporary. I do think we're getting ready for an irrational exuberance rally but we might see some profit taking first (I sure will be on Monday morning...taking profits that is....entire portfolio up 20.5% in 3 days; may be my best run ever...suh-weet!)
scanit
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 2:59:38 PM
With 1 hour remaining in MON's session:
Looking for HumptyDumpty (SP500) to start wobbling TUE JAN6 // WED JAN7
Projected "pivot day" (short-term change in trend direction) for DJIA, COMP, and SP500 is TUE JAN 6 and pivot should be downward.
sdablack
Posted : Monday, January 5, 2009 3:20:13 PM
scanit, can you talk more about a 'pivot day' - I looked back at your posts/treads and I wanted to get more info.

Are they different in up or down trends?

steve
signaltap
Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2009 2:50:08 PM
going back, the begining of January was key for a big drop as told on Dec 31st! Sig
funnymony
Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:30:26 PM

thread title reads :   If 2008 Was A Bad Year, Wait For Whats Coming Into 2009! Hello.. This Is A Bear Market!

meahwhile:

nasdaq 100 is up for the year.

sp-500 is down a few percent for the year.

should we stay tuned?
kshere75
Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:31:01 PM
Speculation is at full swing
GDP down and Unemployment numbers high
Companies like IBM and GOOGLE laying off
Why is market it going up on Euphoria
We are in a big trouble , Dollar will slide historical proportions in few months
Our Govt cannot print anymore money
No toxic assets to sell, no one knows where the assets are linked to mortgage backed securities may be somewhere linked to Bulgaria?????
Market is posed to correct about another 2000 point in next 2 months
watch out
realitycheck
Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:27:38 PM
QUOTE (kshere75)
Speculation is at full swing
GDP down and Unemployment numbers high
Companies like IBM and GOOGLE laying off
Why is market it going up on Euphoria

Yep ....

QUOTE (kshere75)
We are in a big trouble , Dollar will slide historical proportions in few months

Or sooner ... have you seen the upward sloping consolidation in a downtrend ... currently in the USD index ...

QUOTE (kshere75)
Our Govt cannot print anymore money

Don't kid yourself ... the tanker trucks of green ink are lined out out back of the Treasury ...

QUOTE (kshere75)

No toxic assets to sell, no one knows where the assets are linked to mortgage backed securities may be somewhere linked to Bulgaria?????

Well ... the big bailout of AIG was definitely geared towards bailing out the European banks ... so now ... we have to deal with our crisis ... and theirs ...

QUOTE (kshere75)
Market is posed to correct about another 2000 point in next 2 months
watch out

I wouldn't be a bit surprised ...

signaltap
Posted : Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:16:40 AM
see what happened when bollinger bands get tight! Sig