Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: sdablack
About
User Name: sdablack
Groups: Gold User, Member, Platinum User, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 31
[0.01% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: How to find a moving average crossover
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 3:42:40 PM
Bruce,  that will get me where I want to be.  thanks -  While I wrote the original question, I was on the line with Tech support to fix a security problem that was preventing me from posting.

steve
Topic: How to find a moving average crossover
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2009 3:13:24 PM
I am looking for a way to see if a closing price crosses up through a moviing average. 

The tricky part (for me) is I want it to have been lower than the MA in any of the last 8 days or at least within 0.02%.

So If not yesterday well how about the day before, or the day before...
Topic: 15 Good Long-Term Shorts Starting Today! Wed. Jan 7th 2009
Posted: Monday, January 12, 2009 8:14:43 PM

Weak sector stocks continue to be weaker.  As Scottnlena and tllucero pointed out we control our plays.

In fact 4 of the 6 Hot sector stocks were UP today. All 8 weak sector stocks were down.

The play I made was Put options on NEM. I have the March 35P - and my timeframe is January 31st.  If the stock does not move in my direction by then I will close and move on.  I am looking for 100%  return.  I entered with  the market on my side, the McClellan Osc. turning down (26d SMA), sentiment with me, the stock trading below 40,80, 120wk SMA, and the stock turning down.

If the stock moves against me within the next week (2d EMA crosses up over the 8dD EMA) I'll move on.

If you've read my posts before you will know my stop loss is my nemisis.

enjoy your day,

steve

Posted: Friday, January 9, 2009 3:42:30 PM

Another follow-up;

Today at about 3:20pm I just totaled the weak sector and the hot sector stocks:

Weak sector down and average of -2.2825%
Hot sectors down an average of -0.515%

Yesterday in a mixed market the weak sectors stocks were again 'weaker' not much though.

Scottnlena, I think that is a good thing.  I have sub-industry sorts ready to go,  but my elementary studies showed me that the Industry was sufficient (Watch out for Financials though -  That could be ETFs of any industry and in either direction). In one of my posts to the Ask A Trainer you'll find a very simple approach to eliminate undesired sectors, or include only targeted sectors.

I think this only makes sense and I have spoke to a number of professional active fund managers and they like the direction.  There are a few sector rotational managers I have tried to work with on this but I haven't been able to catch them yet. (Most managers just mirror the sectors in their benchmark (+/- a few percent).  I say why not avoid the weak altogether? That is, if you're long.

steve

Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 6:43:32 PM
djdhrubs,
You may not be addressing me here, but I'm just using my post to point out my thoughts on Weak Sectors v. Strong Sectors.

In general - if you're setting to buy long why not buy strong sectors, and if you're planning to sell short, well then shouldn't you consider selling in the weak sectors?  Although I tend to stay comfortable in a weekly chart setting and move slowly (some of the traders here seem much better with quick timeframes),  I think this approach would work with any timeframe.  I am posting this to look for feedback and maybe to help others think about sector relationships and other external trends and I hope they provide comments, concerns, and experience.  How about yours?

steve
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 5:19:36 PM

On a weak day where the Dow, SP500 and NASDAQ were down around 2.7 - 3.2% 

6 of 8 in the weak sectors underperformed (HTLH, up slightly and ABC down .7%)

only 1 of 6 in the 'Hot' Sectors underperformed (KSS)

Again I am just showing the board how I filter positions and doing this to create account of my observation.

steve

Topic: Lessons on Fibonacci Lines
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 2:19:51 PM

Thanks,  Bruce I was trying to look for some of the user's support and thought processes.  Thanks for the links I have programmed the PCF (and incorporated the easyscan).  Am I right, there are no target shooter type projections you can overlay on a chart.

BigBlock - I have placed an order at the local library for the book, thanks. (Author Jardine, right?)

steve

Topic: Lessons on Fibonacci Lines
Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:56:56 AM

Folks, I see quite a few postings in reference to Fibonacci lines and retracements.  Can you point me to threads or a study on how to use and interpret them? 

Also I don't think there are target lines in Telechart, and therefore you must calculate manually or use an outside calculator.  Please correct me.  I have read about them but never really implemented anything.

thanks,
steve

Posted: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:12:07 AM

SignalTap -  I thought I would segregate your list into those positions that have a Weak Industry or Sector and those that are in a stronger sector. With the 14 I could see:  8 were in what I term Weak Sectors and 6 were in Hot Sectors (In this market Warmish).  Then I looked for extreme optimistic readings on the 8 Weak sector stocks.  None came up,  but I have tight excessive parameters and I look for the most extreme and if I looked individually these may have been somewhat extreme.  An optimistic extreme is bearish in theory.

I'm listing them below for accountability and to track if there is 'more' weakness in the Weak sectors.  I'm sure someone on the board would know how to track these.

Weak Sector stocks from your list:  (With the exception of WMS - All weak stocks are hitting (or just about hitting) my crossover trigger..

PCR
ABC
AN
WMS
PSS
QLGC
HLTH
EME

Hot Sector stocks from your list:
KSS
ADM
PCG
PNW
NVE
SCG

steve

Topic: If 2008 Was A Bad Year, Wait For Whats Coming Into 2009! Hello.. This Is A Bear Market!
Posted: Monday, January 5, 2009 3:20:13 PM
scanit, can you talk more about a 'pivot day' - I looked back at your posts/treads and I wanted to get more info.

Are they different in up or down trends?

steve