Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Tobydad, Bcraig and others (List for next week) Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:09:37 AM

In these times of low volatility (A declining VIX and VXO) I am finding some good long candidates. These conditions might be short lived so we all need to tread lightly.

Here is a list I made for next week. I would love some feedback, possitive or negative.

HIG
LNC
ARA
CETV
GNK
DIG
GS
ISYS

realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:59:30 AM
QUOTE (Apsll)
In these times of low volatility (A declining VIX and VXO) ...

Just curious ...

The VIX and the VXN have been unable to continue their downward momentum over the last 4 trading days or so .... they seem as if they have found something of a support level and are consolidating sideways ...

How do you see this resolving ?

Do you think that these indicators will continue building pressure against support until they bust through in a big way ... or that they will muster a bounce (lower markets) ... at least temporarily ...  from this level ?

Bellsoouth
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:49:55 AM

RC, I hope that your question is genuine considering our past differences. I would truly like to forget those times and start fresh with you. Believe me when I say that I care about this forum and will do what I can to maintain harmony; even if that means that I must do some changing.

Anyway back to your question. On the other forum there is currently a huge discussion over this very subject and how some interpret the volatility indexes. If they do muster a bounce then to me that will mean that a direction has been settled on (Up or down) you see I do share in the opinion that these indexes can determine market direction they merely determine volatility. Indirectly I guess when you consider the current market direction then one could assemble a conclusion on a Bullish vs Bearish movement. Right now the markets have settled into a triangle pattern that has reach its zenith. All the moving averages have converged and we are at a decision point. 

It is my opinion that we will break to the upside for some Bullish action and yes we will get a bounce in the volatility indexes. I then think that after a short rally the markets will resume their downward trek and the VIX, VXO and VXN will continue a northerly direction. I do not think that we will see new highs in the volatility indexes however because the action from October to November was pretty intense; in my opinion I do not expect that type of action again. Things will move more subtly going forward I think.

Let me know if I have not answered your guestion.

Apsll.

Apsll
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:54:47 AM

Sorry RC I was signed on under my other user name. No deception was intended as you can see I only have two posts and none were used for negative purposes.
Apsll
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:58:58 AM

God I wish that we could edit our posts. In my 10:49 post I meant to say that - I do "not" share in the opinion that these indexes can determine market direction they merely determine volatility.
realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 5:23:11 PM
I agree that these indexes are merely a measurement of market sentiment ... not a driving force ...

But ... I'm a little confused when you say "It is my opinion that we will break to the upside for some Bullish action and yes we will get a bounce in the volatility indexes." ...

If you're speaking of bullish action in the overall market ... it would seem that those two things may be in opposition to one another ...

I haven't even come close to forming an opinion ... as fundamentally ... the news just keeps getting worse ... here and abroad ...

Technically ... as you said ... there aren't many clues there ... 

Things that I find interesting technically ... 

The T2118 has moved up about 3500 points ... while the market has has moved sideways ... and about the most that it's ever gone up in one cycle is just short of 5000 points ...

And many idexes made a second top ... lower than the previous ... and turned down ...

I am also somewhat dismayed by the market's inability to rally in a low volume week ...

And the fact that many ... if not most ... indexes broke a trendline which they had held since the early November bottom ...

Aside from technicals and fundamentals ... the Mercury retrograde starts on Jan 11th ...

Now ... I don't really subscribe to that stuff ... but I don't ignore what I see either ... and the market has been known to do some pretty weird stuff during these periods ...

I have no idea why more babies are born ... or why the cops are busier ... or why the emergency rooms are full ... on a full moon ... but I won't ignore the fact that the anomaly occurs over and over either ...

To be honest ... just a few weeks ago ... I was quite bullish on the prospects for a tradable bounce ...

And the more time that passes ... the more bearish I become ...

(PS ... The past is just that ... and each new day ... is a new opportunity ...)

Apsll
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:16:28 PM

(PS ... The past is just that ... and each new day ... is a new opportunity ...)

Glad to here you say that RC.

When I say that I think that the vix will bounce when the markets do, it is because when the markets turn (one way or the other) then volatility will increase. Increased volatility is a symptom of a directional move. Which direction is not the issue? Market participation is.

I do not know if you participate on the other forum but if you do then check out the thread on the VIX Davidjohnhall Me and a few other great traders are discussing this very subject.

I do not believe in astrological events nor do I use them as a part of my analysis. I am (short term) Bullish right now just because all the major indexes are showing a familiar bullish pattern (triangle).  That and I see a lot of stocks under accumulation right now. Look at DIG and GS. 

I remember back in May and June that I was arguing with funnymoney and maybe you that the oil bubble was soon to burst and to back up my theory I pointed to the obvious accumulation in the ultra short ETF DUG. I do not say this to now brag but look what happened.

I might be getting off the subject here but I do not believe that the volatility indicators are useful for predicting market direction they are what they are. If the markets are heading down or up then I expect volatility to increase near the bottom or top and then settle down before making the final transition (up or down). We are getting that action now. All the moving averages are converging to a decision point. I think it will lead us up for a small rally (small because I know that this is not the end of the Bear market) but it could also go the other way -Down...

Here is an what one of my friends had to say about the VIX. He said that he read an article on this subject and I agree with the following words.

Because confident markets overlook bad news and uncertain markets look for trouble, Steidmayer goes on to say that confident activity tends to be stable and uncertain activity tends to be volatile.  In other words, a trader who is confident that the market is under or over valued is more likely to put on a position and to hold it than a trader who is uncertain about value. 

So, in my words, if traders are confident that the market is not in danger of plunging down, volatility will die down, and the VIX will die down.  However, if traders are uncertain, then there will be volatility and the VIX will increase.  Also, if traders are confident the market will drop severly, then they will hedge themselves severly, and the VIX will rise.  

I am enjoying the dialog RC so please continue if I am still not answering your question. What do you think of my eight picks above?

Apsll
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:27:08 PM

Lastly keep in mind that I am a pure chart reader. I never consider fundimentals. I believe like Davidjohnhall has said that smart money knows what is going on way before we do and the charts reflect their actions.
realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:53:52 PM
QUOTE (Apsll)

When I say that I think that the vix will bounce when the markets do, it is because when the markets turn (one way or the other) then volatility will increase. Increased volatility is a symptom of a directional move. Which direction is not the issue? Market participation is.

Well ...

When you get down to the mechanics of how the VIX is calculated ... the direction really is the issue ... since it is a ratio of the premiums paid on out of the money puts vs calls ... that is ... if there are far greater premiums being paid for out of the money puts ... than for out of the money calls ... the VIX rises ...

The fact that it remains at this elevated level demonstrates that their is still a lot of bearish sentiment out there ... but only half as much as just a month ago ... 

So ... it is bullish that there is still a lot of bearish sentiment out there ... or is it bearish that so many have turned bullish in such a short period of time while fundamentals continue to erode ?

Of the list you posted ... my favorite is probably HIG ... although I must admit that I can't look at chart and totally ignore the fundamentals ...

For example ... DIG ... there isn't going to be a whole lot of drilling going on at $40/bbl crude oil ...

Apsll
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:24:14 PM

Yes RC you have hit upon my lack of true understanding of the volatility indexes. I know that at the heart of their mechanics is the use of derivatives. My lack of knowledge in this area disqualifies my in-depth understanding of their driving force. I can only rely on my many years of monitoring their action in reference to market shifts and volatility at critical junctures.

As far as DIG is concerned again it reminds me of the accumulation that I observed with DUG in May and June. This type of Volume and price action happens for a reason. The eventual rally with DUG was a testament to my suspicions at the time.

Nothing is for sure however and we will have to wait and see. I will concede that your technical knowledge of the volatility indexes is on more stable ground than that of my own. 

realitycheck
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:47:32 PM
Sort of ironic ... isn't it ... that at this particular juncture ... the charts of both DIG and DUG ... pretty much suck ...

I have seen so many inconsistencies in the ETFs of late ... that they have me more than just a bit reluctant to take up a position in any of them ...

Apsll
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 9:53:57 PM

Well I will be in DIG above $26.50, GS I am waiting for a pullback, HIG it looks like I already have it and will enter soon. ISYS is the most intriqing one to me. Next week is going to be fun, lots of answers I think...
Golfman25
Posted : Sunday, December 28, 2008 11:09:21 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

My $.02.

HIG & LNC:  Break out possible.  Look for volatility expansion.  I like LNC better of the two.

ARA:  Look for breakout with volatility expansion.

CETV:  Nice pullback into moving averages allows for a good entry.  Best of the bunch,

GNK:  Nice pullback into moving averages.  Good entry point.

GS:  Possible breakout with volatility expansion.

ISYS:  Piece of junk for longs.  Short any rally into the $12.50 area.  

I wouldn't expect next week to offer any guidance.  Most people will have better things to do.   

Good luck. 
Apsll
Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 3:10:33 AM

Thanks Golfman, as aways I appreciate your input.

I slaped ISYS in there just because I have noticed that very often some good rallies have started with this typ of action. so I created a scan to catch them in their early stages and this one poped up on my scan. It is an experiment at best. I agree that most of the big players will not be back at the table until after this Years festivities have come to an end....
realitycheck
Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 3:54:55 PM
QUOTE (Apsll)

I slaped ISYS in there just because I have noticed that very often some good rallies have started with this typ of action.

Right ... short-covering rallies ...

And when they're done ... you're done ...

Apsll
Posted : Monday, December 29, 2008 6:47:46 PM

I understand your point RC. But I have seen this type of action quit a bit. I have even at times played these set-ups. I told everyone that I lost 80% of my scans when I changed my office from the professional scene to my house so I have to rebuild them from memory. I used to have some great templates for just this type of set-up.

In the following chart you will see what I mean. Do all falling knifes work out great? Of course not, but some do and you can make some good profits with the right managment of these plays..
Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:44:26 AM

I would also like to add AGN to my list as I believe that this is a great looking bottom pattern with strong institutional support and increasing volume. There might be a small pullback to around $35 and I will buy on the bounce, or I will buy if this continues up and breaks through resistance.

Keep in mind that we are at the mercy of the markets. I have seen this befor; when I see a lot of bottoming stocks (durring a Bear market) and you thing that the markets are setting up for a temporary rally, only to see it all fall appart. So you need to watch your choices very close and use good managment and common sense.

Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:18:48 PM

It appears that my whole list along with my additions are all in the green today. So far ISYS is leading the pack.
Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 12:22:18 PM

Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:08:15 PM

ISYS up to $12.00
djdhrubs
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:17:54 PM
many congrats.  what is your plan now?  are you out, or keeping a tight sell stop?  with the volumes being traded nowadays, how sure are you about what will happen tomorrow?  and how much of the bullish behaviour today, not just with ISYS, but with all your other stocks do you think was based on the news this morning, about the GMAC bailout?
djdhrubs
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:36:03 PM
my point is...i understand the technical reasons why you chose the stocks you did, outlined in the list at the start of the post.  but how much of today's success was based on luck due to the news this morning, rather than the technical indicators?  for most stocks, the volume traded is still low.  some might say that these very stocks may be good short candidates in a couple of days time...
Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:27:07 PM

How are you DJ, I must admit that I am only in DIG and GS right now. I post these charts for my friends. On the other forum I have also been discussing DIG and GS, I feel very strong about those two due to the obvious signs of accumulation.

I wish that I had Day traded some of the very stocks on my list but I was busy off and on today. In the past (on both forums) I have been thanked for posting my lists. I am glad that others have benefited from my past lists and I hope that some have benefited from this current one. I know the list is having great success.

To answer your question; I see stocks moving on low volume, high volume and medium volume. Yes at times I use volume in my analysis (as I did with DIG and GS) but I use it more for patterns of accumulation as opposed to volume leading price for a given rally. I think that everyone knew that the bail-outs were a given (although I was against them 100%).

RC is right about stocks like ISYS. They can be very risky or very rewarding. When I do play them I have to babysit them and I have not been able to do that lately.

With GS I have my stop set at $75 for a small loss and with DIG I have a stop at $27 for a small profit.

Lastly I do not believe in luck. I picked these stocks because of the technicals. Once in a technically sound stock then how I manage the trade will determine my profit or loss, not luck.

Please let me know if I failed to answer your questions.

Thanks Apsll.

tobydad
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 5:55:03 PM

QUOTE (djdhrubs)
many congrats.  what is your plan now?  are you out, or keeping a tight sell stop?  with the volumes being traded nowadays, how sure are you about what will happen tomorrow?  and how much of the bullish behaviour today, not just with ISYS, but with all your other stocks do you think was based on the news this morning, about the GMAC bailout?

News is, frequently, just an excuse for the market to do what it's going to do anyway. It usually just needs a nudge in the direction in which it is already tending. This is why there is no luck in technical picks, one is just reading the underlying news known by others and responding to their behavior (no matter how secret they try to be about it).
djdhrubs
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:32:29 PM
Thanks guys...i hear what you're saying.  i've lost sight recently of looking and studying charts for individual stocks, and that's probably a fault of mine.  i've been reasoning that if you look at the chart for the dow, and try to analyse that, it'll be a more accurate bearing on what individual stocks will do as well.  that's why i feel very uncomfortable dipping my feet into the water just yet.

the dow was up fairly significantly today, again on light volume. one angel/ devil on one shoulder is telling me to go for it with some of the stocks you guys have been suggesting, and pull the trigger on the ISYS and AIG's of this world, whilst the other angel/ devil says to wait until the dow breaks that 9000 barrier, like signaltap says.

these recent few days of low volume, and moves up on a background of bad news makes me think that as soon as volume returns, probably in the new year, there's gonna be one almighty drop in the dow.

i slightly disagree with your statement about news being a nudge in the right direction, and technicals foregoing secret news.  i realise that GMAC were gonna get the funds, but was it well known that the announcement would be THIS MORNING?  isn't it too much of a coincidence that we get that news today, and the dow has its biggest pop in quite a few days?

anyway, thanks for your opinions, and thanks to you too apsll for your posts...very helpful.
Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:41:44 PM

You are welcome DJ, just as Kshere75 said in annother thread; there is always money to be made. Just because for some there is no light in the tunnel that does not mean that others cannot see.

Still focus on the markets but also scan for single stocks. There is always somthing going on.

Good luck .
agm32
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 9:59:15 PM
Hey Apsll, Don't forget to tell everyone here about your fantastic trading system from your other site that you said would flourish in bull markets. After Maverick back tested it for you, It lost money in a bull market.
Apsll
Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2008 11:04:15 PM

Yes indeed I will, thank you for bringing it up so that I can share with my friends over here as well. I do not mind responding to you agm32 when you are sharing positive information. I will continue to ignor your negative banter.

On the other forum I presented the following trading system (only to be used durring a strongly trending bull market) I did a crude back test of a watchlist of about 900 stocks that met certain criteria durring the Bull rally from August 2006 to December 2007 and my results were great. Here is the system -

I have a back test that I would like performed if one of you has the time.

From August 2006 to December 2007
Average 30 day volume > 300,000 shares
Price range from $7.00 to $70.00

Price crossed over 250 day simple moving average 3 days ago and is still above it will be the entry into the stock.

The exit will be when price crosses down below the 120 day simple moving average. 

The thread was directed and labled for Davidjohnhall as I respect his opinion and the accuracy of his back-testing results. (he informed me via private message at the time that he could not perform the back-test at this time).

To my dismay Maverick responded with his results. I did not trust his finding because according to him only 83 stocks during the for-mentioned time frame triggered the buy conditions. I knew by my own testing that hundreds of stocks trigered the buy signal and whent on to great profits. So I dismissed his finding and ignored his post.

You see like agm32, Maverick is under tight reigns by the managment over there for starting trouble and is pretty much ignored by all.

You can all do your own back-test with Telechart and see for yourself that under the proper Bull market conditions that it is a good system (not 100% of course) but good enough to work well. I cannot wait to test it live.

Thank you agm, I can only hope that your future contributions are of a positive nature.
tobydad
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:29:20 AM

QUOTE (djdhrubs)
Thanks guys...i hear what you're saying.  i've lost sight recently of looking and studying charts for individual stocks, and that's probably a fault of mine.  i've been reasoning that if you look at the chart for the dow, and try to analyse that, it'll be a more accurate bearing on what individual stocks will do as well.  that's why i feel very uncomfortable dipping my feet into the water just yet.

the dow was up fairly significantly today, again on light volume. one angel/ devil on one shoulder is telling me to go for it with some of the stocks you guys have been suggesting, and pull the trigger on the ISYS and AIG's of this world, whilst the other angel/ devil says to wait until the dow breaks that 9000 barrier, like signaltap says.

these recent few days of low volume, and moves up on a background of bad news makes me think that as soon as volume returns, probably in the new year, there's gonna be one almighty drop in the dow.

i slightly disagree with your statement about news being a nudge in the right direction, and technicals foregoing secret news.  i realise that GMAC were gonna get the funds, but was it well known that the announcement would be THIS MORNING?  isn't it too much of a coincidence that we get that news today, and the dow has its biggest pop in quite a few days?

anyway, thanks for your opinions, and thanks to you too apsll for your posts...very helpful.

No, most people did not know that the announcement would be this morning. Had the announcement not come today, it might have been another day of just drifting lightly downward. But it's interesting to note that many stocks are holding their own even in the face of more bad news. My point remains the same, the market is going to do what it's going to do, the news is usually just one more ingredient but I'm persuaded it is not a sole driving force. We've all seen the market run contrary to what one would expect on any given day with major news out.
Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 6:35:38 AM

I must concur with Tobydad. The markets were emitting Bullish pheromones for a little while now and plenty of charts were blooming. It might be short lived but the News was of no major consequence. Even if the fickle markets tumble from here (and I doubt that) the bail-out was factored in some time ago; like the impact of a microscopic meteorite the only tremors were that of the retail trader and nothing more.

pegasis
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:08:42 AM
what scan did you use to find these?
agm32
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 7:14:09 AM

Apsll your thread was directed at anyone, not just Davidjohnhall. Maverick was kind enough to test it for you and it was a valid test that noone disputed. The net profit was -4.81% in a bull market.I can only imagine how bad it would be in a bear market that you now trade in.

If you would like to see the actual trades, I can email Maverick and post them here for everyone to see. Comparing the actual test trades to your own chart is the best way, not hand picking only the trades you want to see.

pegasis
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:03:46 AM
Is there a good scan for falling knives...ore is that thres black crows??
Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:11:37 AM

I am all about fair play agm, The tittle of the thread was "Davidjohnhall and backtest experts" 

As I said before no one answered to his post because no one on that forum will give him or you the time of day. You are free to post his results (you do not need my permision) I just say that his data input must have been flawed in order to get flawed results. I also did my own backtest using Telechart and there were way more than 83 hits. That alone was enough to lead to my conclusion of a flawed test. You seem to not grasp the idea that just because someone runs a mechanical test on a backtesting platform does not mean that they did the test correctly. There is no doubt in my mind that after doing the test (VISUALLY) myself, that he was off on his data input.

Before I show you the chart I used in the example on the other forum I just want to say that one detail that mechanical backtesting cannot messure is the human element. I might not take a trade that the computer was forced to take because I know what a good chart pattern looks like; I might get three hits and only decide to play one of them, then there is the human mangment element. Somthing could happen and I might decide to sell early befor price falls bellow the 120 day moving average. If the stock had choppy action but still got a buy hit then the computer would take the trade where I would not.

Lastly I was asking someone with extensive back-testing skills to test my theory. Even if it is flawed (and I do not think that it is) Why would I take that personal? That is why I was asking for a qualified oppinion to expose any hidden flaws in my theory. There is no shame in this. You only bring it up now because some how you feel that this will be a slight on me. I fail to see how that would be true, right or wrong I am not ashamed of my system.

Here is the chart that shows what kind of success one can find in the proper market conditions and the proper chart pattern.

Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 9:39:43 AM

Pegasis, Here is a formula that I used to find ISYS -

C1>L2ANDH>L2ANDC>O

I used to have better ones but I lost them all when I swiched venues and had to uppload Telechart from scratch. With this formula you will get a lott of hits that are not falling knifes but you will also get the falling knifes, you will just have to visually sift through them.

I will try and refine the formula.

Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:37:38 AM

GNK and ARA doing good so far...
agm32
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 10:46:42 AM

I consulted with Maverick about your system and conveyed your concern that his data is flawed. He said that the results are in line with your rules. He uses Amibroker for backtesting and unlike most backtesting software; Amibroker will test a true portfolio. Since you did not supply enough information and in order to make it realistic he used an initial capital of $100,000 and a max of 10 positions and 10% equity for each position. He also included .01 per share brokerage fees and slippage of .10 per share. He filled in your missing information mainly to prevent the hassle with your limited knowledge of backtesting. That was an honest test that simulated what the results would be in real life if you took all the trades that matched the trading rules providing you had capital available including brokerage fees and slippage and even asked if you wanted anything changed. Your silence was considered as acceptance. I cannot believe that Davidjohnhall is unable to test such a simple system. Either you are lying about that or David just said that to keep from hurting your feelings.

To suggest that it is flawed speaks volumes about your limited knowledge of backtesting. To say I would not have taken that trade because of bla bla bla when all you had to do is include it in the set of rules. Actually your hand picked backtest trades are flawed, because you are able see the 'what if' and ignore the bad trades.

It is wrong to declare to newbie’s that you have a system that will make a lot of money when in reality it is proven from a reliable source to be a loosing system. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Apsll
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 11:48:53 AM

Will you please give us all a break. With all the years that I have been helping folks on this forum and the fact that David and I are great friends (and I chose not to reveal the reasons why he could not do the back test because of that friendship), Do you realize how foolish you look?

I did not respond to Maverick because he like you are nothing but a pest and no one will take either of you serious. My only claim is that with the limited backtesting that I have performed the system looks good. I have not made any other claims beyound that. Everyone that uses Telechart can perform the same tests that I did and draw there own conclusions. His test was flawed and you are right I did not and will not cooperate with his foolishness or yours.

My funds far exeed yours (you cannot even afford to pay for your membership to the Worden products).

Now I am through with you. Everyone knows me here and you are only known for what you are on both forums. I guess that you will get the last word in as I will not risk getting banned so you can pretend you know somthing about trading.
agm32
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 12:55:56 PM
You are the one looking foolish. Your system will lead a lot of newbie's to loose money. Shame on you
agm32
Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:12:02 PM
Hurling insults will not help your cause. It only reflects your insecurity.