Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

solar stocks Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
djdhrubs
Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 9:51:42 AM
In the last few days, solar stocks seem to have had a mini-explosion.  FSLR recently had a good earnings report, and other stocks such as SOLF and ESLR are booming nicely.  They even now seem to be oversold, though I'm sure that's not exclusive to solar stocks given the recent downturns.  I wonder, with Obama's saying positive things about being committed to alternative energy, whether this might be a good area to invest in for a short while peri-election.  SOLF has its earnings release near the end of the month too.

Only thing that's making me hesitate is the relatively low volume.  Any opinions?
djdhrubs
Posted : Monday, November 3, 2008 12:04:01 PM
in fact, volume has picked up dramatically.  interesting...
djdhrubs
Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:00:16 PM
it was a case of buy the rumour, sell the news on this one too!
scottnlena
Posted : Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:27:17 PM

Long term positive divergences aslo.

I think this sector isn't finished yet at all but they are taking a rest for the moment.
Ralph Koozer
Posted : Friday, November 7, 2008 7:46:47 PM

Take a look at the brands the large project solar installing contractors are installling.  Use the Peter Lynch method.  Buy stock in the top three market share ones that have a decent balance sheet.  If they try to buy the jobs they won't be around too long.  Use the standard due dilligence measures too; although the industry is in a sort out period and a growth burst at the same time.  There isn't a GE of solar yet.

A solar ETF might be a safer play than trying to pick a winner if you aren't directly involved in the field and know the winners.