Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

sorting in Excel vs sorting in TCNet Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
kennethroyal
Posted : Wednesday, June 18, 2008 5:09:12 PM

TCNet ... eg, in Excel, if put spaces between 0 entries, the spaces will be ignored and the 0 will spring to far left of the cell ... but in TCNet, the spaces between the 0s will hold (eg, 0  0  0  0  -  ). Another point ... changing, within Excel, the FORMAT / Cells - Number tab selection (Gen'l vs Number vs Text, etc) will not help the sit'n.

In TCNet, can go DATABANK / Export to Text .. hit Export to text > box comes up and enables select comma or space or tab delimiter .. maybe the delimiter selected is going to be clue to understanding the sort that TCNet uses in WL sorting .. I would like to know (1) what I can accomplish within TCNet using this delimiter function (2) whether I can get Excel to duplicate the TC sort ... I would then be able to play around in Excel knowing that what I found to be true in Excel would also be true in TCNet.

Conceivably, the conversion Wizard Excel function might come in to this eqation.                      Thank you ...          roy stewart
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:52:26 AM

Worden Trainer

Welcome to the forums. A very good foundation for learning how to use TeleChart can be gained by reviewing the following:

If you are new to TeleChart READ THIS FIRST!

QUOTE (kennethroyal)
TCNet ... eg, in Excel, if put spaces between 0 entries, the spaces will be ignored and the 0 will spring to far left of the cell ... but in TCNet, the spaces between the 0s will hold (eg, 0  0  0  0  -  ). Another point ... changing, within Excel, the FORMAT / Cells - Number tab selection (Gen'l vs Number vs Text, etc) will not help the sit'n.

I don't understand what is being stated or asked in this paragraph.

QUOTE (kennethroyal)
In TCNet, can go DATABANK / Export to Text .. hit Export to text > box comes up and enables select comma or space or tab delimiter .. maybe the delimiter selected is going to be clue to understanding the sort that TCNet uses in WL sorting

The delimiter has no effect at all on the way TeleChart sorts a Watchlist.

Create your own stock rankings using WatchLists and Sort conditions

QUOTE (kennethroyal)
I would like to know (1) what I can accomplish within TCNet using this delimiter function

It just determines what goes between the exported fields when exporting to text.

Exporting data to text format - comma, space or tab delimited

QUOTE (kennethroyal)
(2) whether I can get Excel to duplicate the TC sort ... I would then be able to play around in Excel knowing that what I found to be true in Excel would also be true in TCNet.

TeleChart just sorts your Watchlist by whatever sort is currently selected in either Ascending or Descending order (depending on which is selected). While the Watchlist will generally use the previously selected sort as the secondary sort condition, this is not a feature of the program and should not be counted upon (you should assume that the order is random beyond the Active Sort).

QUOTE (kennethroyal)
Conceivably, the conversion Wizard Excel function might come in to this eqation.

The Delimited or Fixed Width setting in the Excel Import Wizard will affect how a text file is imported. There should be a preview indicating what data will be incorporated into its own column based on this setting. That said, we do not provide support for third party programs such as Excel.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles