Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Understanding %-true Indicators Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
jfcampbell3
Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:39:07 PM

I am trying to understand %-true indicators as a means of validating some trading ideas I'm working on. pls. forgive if this is a double posting - I spent an hour preparing it, and when I clicked on preview, it disappeared and I haven't found it in the current discussion queue; so, here goes (again). 

Suppose I have two predictors which are "true" in high correlation - does this, in principle, make one a reasonably good predictor of the other?

Example:

Here, you see that one indicator, the white one, is a pointed-top or teepee 100% of the time. I am using it as my "predictor". The other, the red one, which involves price direction (isn't that what we're all trying to predict?) can be a teepee, but is more often a flat-top i.e. can be true over a short period of time. This is a snap of a daily view, by the way.

If the first (white) predictor becomes true during the time the 2nd is true, and above all, prior to the time the 2nd is no longer true, can it be said to be a short-term predictor of the 2nd?

I will be happy to share and refine / improve my indicators if I have understood things correctly, but there's no point in dragging out a red herring if I'm off the mark. They're not very complicated, and are simply the result of thinking about the few principles I understand, doing a bit of observeration on some charts, and coming up with a couple of formulas to test them out. So far, so good, but I don't want to waste much more time if I'm heading down the wrong path.

Thanks!

jfc

scottnlena
Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2007 10:41:02 PM

JFC - NE OBLIVISCARIS !  Swan or Boar ?

Unfortunately your pic didn't seem to go through.  I don't know that there is "A True Path".  IMO you might think about the logical arguments you are trying to construct.  They may be "Predictive" or may be a natrual part of the flow  of price in that one will happen first..... does that mean it's "predicitive"?  Possibly.... Possibly not.  They may be totally unrelated.  One might be a great trigger and the other a nice confirmation.  They may be slightly different expressions of the same thing.

It's difficult to say with out the formulas.  you can copy and paste them here.

if you take to long on a post it will get dropped.  Alwayse copy it to your clip borad or highlight and rt click the text, click copy and THEN "Post".  1/2 the time I have to re do my posts... in that case I just paste in the text and hit "Post"

diceman
Posted : Wednesday, December 26, 2007 10:52:45 PM
A percent true will simply stay true as long as the
condition is true.

It would all depend on how the true/false question is asked.

A flat top (rectangle shape is true longer)

If you are looking for a moving average cross and you ask:

Is the close above the average? (you will get the flat top)

If you ask is the close above today and was it below yesterday
then you will get a spike. (you are only detecting the cross)

Thanks
diceman
jfcampbell3
Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:08:44 PM
Thanks, all for the input and feedback. I will refine the whole theory and post it sometime soon. It may or may not be of value, but it's been a great learning tool for me.

Sorry that the pic didn't come through for some of you. Might be specific to your browser, because I could see it in my (2nd) preview, and can see it in the post today.

Good holidays to all!

jfc