Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

PCF formula for RSI Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Lolita
Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:26:30 PM
Could you tell me what is the PCF'S formula for RSI 2,7,3?
Thanks.
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, February 17, 2005 11:33:06 PM

Worden Trainer

What part of the RSI settings does the "3" represent?

The PCF wizard can help you create this and any other PCF. Check out the video below to learn how to use the wizard.

How to create a Personal Criteria Forumula (PCF)

- Craig
Here to Help!
Lolita
Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2005 12:20:06 AM
To Craig S:

Re: RSI 2,7,3

I refer to the indicator as a straight RSI. All I want to do is change the "period" or "length" of the indicator to 2. Where
a) 2-day RSI rises 3 days in a row,
(Today's 2-day RSI is above 75)
b) The 2-day RSI, 3 days ago, is above 30
or when the 2-day RSI rises 5 days in a row.

Thanks for your help
Craig_S
Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2005 10:40:04 AM

Worden Trainer

Visual sorting will be your best method for finding any RSI pattern on a 2 (or greater) day chart. Below are some videos on visual sorting to help get you started.

Sort by indicator or price movement using Visual Change sorts

Sort by Visual Value to find new highs and lows in price and indicators

Sorting price and indicators by their Actual Value

Comparing indicators using Visual Difference sorts

- Craig
Here to Help!
Tanstaafl
Posted : Saturday, February 19, 2005 2:26:53 PM
Hi, Lolita:

I can give you a PCF to do what you asked in parts a and b, but you need to be more specific about the RSI parameters. Typically, the RSI has a 14-day (or in your case a 14-bar) length, and might have an associated signal line that is an X-day smoothing of it. If you want that value in a PCF formula, as of Y days ago, for DAILY bars, the format is:
RSI14.X.Y
If you want to PLOT a 14-bar RSI with an X-bar smoothing, you just hit the R key and specify 14 and X in the input fields ... TC will automatically adjust for whatever days/bar you selected to view, and will show you values for all the historical bars you want.

QUOTE (Lolita)

Re: RSI 2,7,3
I refer to the indicator as a straight RSI. All I want to do is change the "period" or "length" of the indicator to 2. Where
a) 2-day RSI rises 3 days in a row,
(Today's 2-day RSI is above 75)
b) The 2-day RSI, 3 days ago, is above 30
or when the 2-day RSI rises 5 days in a row.

To find crossovers using SortBy is much trickier, but can be done if you use a Custom Indicator with the BarsAgo (third "Y" parameter) set properly. I know this is a bit too concise, but maybe it will give you the clues you need.

If you'd like a more specific solution in PCF form, for two-day bars, please specify the basic RSI periods you want to use (ie the standard value of 14, or something else). Also, please indicate whether you want that result smoothed, and by how much (ie the "X" value mentioned above). Finally, please confirm that in your a & b clauses above, you ment to say:
"3 BARS in a row"
and
"3 BARS ago"
and
"5 BARS in a row"

Finally, please indicate whether you want to use TC's native exponential smoothing in the RSI calc, or whether you want to use true Wilder's smoothing. You can see the difference in the two by checking and unchecking the "Use Wilder's Smoothing" box in the RSI plot-edit window (Wilder's smoothing is not available in the native RSI PCF function).

With that info, I can create the formula you are asking for.

Jim Dean

danishone
Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:18:08 AM
could anyone help to PCF'S formula for RS:?
MARKET PRICE
Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:35:06 AM

Worden Trainer

danishone,
Relative Strength should not be confused with Wilder's RSI (the actual subject of this topic). Relative Strength is just the price of the active symbol divided by the price of the Relative Strength comparison symbol.

The relative strength (RS) graph is generated by comparing the relative price performance of any two items (such as two stocks or a stock and a market index). If the RS line is ascending, then the active symbol is out-performing the comparison symbol. If the RS line is descending, the active symbol is under-performing the comparison symbol.

If you plot the RS graph in the Top (price) window, keep in mind that the position of the RS line relative to price is insignificant since the two lines are plotted on independent scales.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles