Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Comparing indicators using Visual Difference sorts Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, October 27, 2004 2:51:59 PM

Worden Trainer

Author: Doug Holden

Press the Play button on the bottom of the video to start.

If you prefer, you can download the video and watch it offline. Choose the Save option and save it to your hard drive. Extract the files to a location on your hard drive and double click on the .html file to launch the video. You must extract the files to your hard drive. You cannot play the video from the .zip file.

keywords: moving average crossovers indicator sort comparison sort visual difference price vs. moving average chart

- Doug
Teaching Online!

To view this video you must have Macromedia Flash Player and Microsoft Internet Explorer 5+
DETOVREA
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 12:51:20 PM
Doug: Thanx for the kind words and for the demo of visual comparison sorting. That's pretty cool
However, I'm more interested in using the computer, via Easy Scans and PCFs, to not only sort, but to actually select the stocks of interest so that I don't have to spend all my time at the computer—I do have a life away from the stock market and computers. After all, a well programmed computer should relieve a person of being chained to the computer by doing the scut work for him. With this in mind, I have redefined trends from the usual succession of higher highs and higher lows (for an uptrend) which are difficult to program to An uptrend is shown by the current moving average of prices being greater than the same moving average of prices one-half period in the past; similarly for side trends and and down trends. It is simple to write PCFs that select charts that meet these criteria and form Easy Scans that utilize these data. If anyone is interested, I can expand (expound?) upon this.
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 1:37:40 PM

Worden Trainer

Using moving averages to uncover the direction of a stock is one of the many uses of an average. Writing PCFs for a moving average now being greater/less than/the same as it was before is very easy to do.

I would like to remind everyone that watches this video of a few things:

1. Visual sorting requires no formula writing and uncovers charts visually (the way we look at them).

2. Though Doug uses moving averages as an example in this video, the technique can be used for ANY two lines on the chart. Price vs. MoneyStream, TSV vs. its average, etc.

For some procedures, EasyScan/PCFs are the best method, for other people, visual sorting is better. For some PEOPLE one is better than another. Visual sorting is unique because it is not based on the values of the indicators but how the indicators look on the chart.

I encourage people explore visual sorting. As a hard-core PCF writer who has little difficulty writing formulas, I find myself using Visual Sorting more and more. It is more intuitive, less restrictive (sorting does not remove stocks, it just ranks them) and often easier.

- Craig
Here to Help!
aronl
Posted : Friday, April 15, 2005 3:45:36 PM
Maybe i'm not commmunicating appropriately....

I'm looking for these specific PCF's becuase i want to use them in an easy scan. This video you sent me will teach me how to do that?

Again,

1. Closing Price above a WEEKLY 50 SMA
2. Closing Price below a WEEKLY 50 SMA

thanks again,
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, April 15, 2005 3:49:41 PM

Worden Trainer

vantanna,

Please go back to your original post and check out the topic I also included there for you. It covers writing a PCF.

This video teaches you how to find what you are looking for without having to write a PCF.

Personal Criteria Formulas

- Craig
Here to Help!
aronl
Posted : Friday, April 15, 2005 4:07:25 PM
i've lost the original post somehow...could you repeat it for me please?

thanks
Doug_H
Posted : Friday, April 15, 2005 4:10:32 PM

Worden Trainer

http://www.worden.com/training/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4608

There is the link to your original post. I've included the PCF's you asked for in that link.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Ketracel
Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2005 11:29:59 PM
i'm trying out this video but I'm not getting the 'sort rank' to appear on my watchlist window (you know, symbol, company name, sort rank - as it appears in the video)

I have Symbol | Company Name | Price % change

???
Doug_H
Posted : Tuesday, August 9, 2005 11:55:30 PM

Worden Trainer

Right Click where it says Price % Change, and click Edit Column. Pull down the Column Contents menu and select Sort Value. That should do it for you.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, August 10, 2005 11:36:54 AM

Worden Trainer

Ketracel,
This is just an additional comment related to Doug's suggestion. Make sure you select Display Market Rank instead of Display Value in the Column Display window if you want Sort Rank instead of Sort Value.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
smugglers1
Posted : Saturday, October 11, 2008 7:47:59 PM
Okay, I watched the video on crossing lines. So I can find tham but what do crossing line indicate? why should I care if the lines cross?
Ron
Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, October 13, 2008 9:48:06 AM

Worden Trainer

smugglers1,
Welcome to the forums. A very good foundation for learning how to use TeleChart can be gained by reviewing the following:

If you are new to TeleChart READ THIS FIRST!

The trainers can't give setting, interpretation or investment advice. The assumption when you are searching for crossing lines is that you already know why you want to see those lines crossing.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
RSC
Posted : Wednesday, July 6, 2011 11:30:32 AM
Bruce,  Is there a short formula with Telechart 2007 for stochastics 12.5 > 80 for days 21 - 42?  I am using a modified version of the long form that you sent me Feb. 2010 with stochastics crossing 20.

Thanks  RSC