Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Blocks Files Usage and Practice Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
randl
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 7:58:39 PM
I am a new user of Blocks and have questions on the contents an use of the "Block Files."  My understanding of the "Blocks Files" is as follows: the Windows Documents Folder contains all the created items needed to operate various tactical plans.  The folders "Code, Tool Parts, Tools, Trading Documents, and Workspaces," use various ".xxxx" names that differentiates them (for example stuff in the "Workplaces" folder has a trailer called ".bWorks").  I could not find in your manual what criteria is used to differentiate them.

I have 3 questions:

1. How do I know to create a set of logic for the "Tool Parts -> Strategy" folder vs one for the "Workspaces" folder?  In other words what criteria do I use to decide where to place the logic I am putting together?
2. Where within the tabletop of Blocks (I think you refer to it as a "workspace"), do I find logic that has been placed in the various files named above?
3. I assume all the files have logic diagrams.  I cannot find all of them, for example the ones that are placed in the "Workspace."  Where can I view the logic for the diagrams of the various folders?
Julia_O
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 10:21:58 PM

Worden Trainer

randl,

I can certainly understand your wanting to wrap your  mind around the structural organization of Blocks.  I've drafted a Word doc that should answer your questions about the various Blocks components as well as their corresponding file extensions, how to save, and how to access once a component has been saved.

With regard to your last question, I believe you're talking about Block Diagrams.  Each component of Blocks that processes data has a Block Diagram; plots, strategy conditions, columns, and value pointers all have Block Diagrams.  To view a diagram (essentially the logic for a component), right-click and select Properties.

Check out Blocks.com for some material to get your feet wet!

Hope this will help.

-Julia

Attachments:
Blocks components.doc - 393 KB, downloaded 682 time(s).

randl
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:00:29 PM
Julia, thank you for your prompt response, I have you to thank you for my troubles  - you converted me to Blocks with your Houston lecture.  One more question, where do I find the "user manual" you refer to?  I printed the "Software Reference Manual" (which does not contain the figures you are using in your word document) and have strained to transfer the explanations to practical use (it only contains one step-by-step example.
Tal_E
Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2007 11:40:36 PM

Worden Trainer

randl,

You and Julia are referring to the same manual.  I think that you are referring to the cover page of the Users Manual which says Software Reference Manual.  Another suggestion that I have is the first post in the link to Julia's Notes from Houston (link below).  Her first post is very helpful for anyone seeking to learn the breakdown/location of the many different save options in Blocks. 

http://www.worden.com/training/default.aspx?g=posts&t=26388
Julia_O
Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:53:01 AM

Worden Trainer

randle,

First, I'm glad you've decided to use Blocks!  These are all just conventions that you'll have to learn, but once you do, I think you're going to love the flexibility of the software.

We were both refering to the same 'manual'.  I used the definitions of component parts that already exist on Page 9 of the manual as a starting point for further explanation.  I added the graphics and some additional explanation I thought would help clarify.

I would suggest that you use the Word doc attachment as a guide as you download each of the attachments to the Houston Notes (link in Tal's post).  Each attachment has a different file extension - you'll be able to tell what type of file it is, and what type of information it should contain based on that file extension.  Then, open up Blocks and add each attachment one at a time.  By the time you've completed that, you should be well exercised in saving different components and in adding them (back) to Blocks.

I'm more than happy to answer any specific questions you may have along the way - please don't hesitate to ask!

-Julia
randl
Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2007 10:25:29 PM
Thanks for the help.  I look forward to building with blocks.