Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Julia's Notes from Atlanta - October 2007 Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Julia_O
Posted : Friday, October 5, 2007 10:30:12 PM

Worden Trainer

Thanks so much for attending the Blocks class in Atlanta this weekend! Below are the notes in PDF format.

I've also attached some studies (panes), Columns, Strategy conditions, Tools and WorkSpaces from class or from my computer you might find interesting.

For those interested in opening a TDAmeritrade account so you can use the OneTouch(tm) Trading, be sure to use this link to open your account:

http://www.blocks.com/TDA

Save .scond files in
\My Documents\Block Files\Tool Parts\Strategy Conditions
Once there, you can add it in your Strategy via the ADD CONDITION button and choosing MY COMPUTER .

Save .bWorks files in
\My Documents\Blocks Files\Workspaces
You can then open the WorkSpace via your FILE menu (Open WorkSpace then My Computer )

Save .pane files in
\My Documents\Blocks Files\Tool Parts\Chart
Once there, you can add it in your chart via the ADD STUDY button and choosing MY COMPUTER .

Save .btool files in
My Documents\Blocks Files\Tools
You can then run the TOOL by clicking the START button and choosing MY COMPUTER .

Save .plot files in
\My Documents\Blocks Files\Tool Parts\Chart
Once there, you can add it in your chart via the ADD STUDY button and choosing MY COMPUTER .

Save .bscan files in
\My Documents\Blocks Files\Tool Parts\Strategies
Once there, you can open the Strategy by clicking the Strategy tab, right clicking on Strategy and choosing Open Strategy then MY COMPUTER .

Save .SGCol files in
\My Documents\Blocks Files\Tool Parts\Columns
Once there, you can add the column by right-clicking the tab header of the WatchList, choosing load column then MY COMPUTER .

You can download the ZoomIt program I used in class to draw on the screen and zoom in and out
Here

Best,
Julia

Attachments:
1D%.SGCol - 5 KB, downloaded 599 time(s).
1M%.SGCol - 5 KB, downloaded 523 time(s).
1W%.SGCol - 5 KB, downloaded 461 time(s).
52 W H.SGCol - 4 KB, downloaded 518 time(s).
52 W L.SGCol - 4 KB, downloaded 515 time(s).
AVG Max Min Channel.plot - 6 KB, downloaded 466 time(s).
Breakout of Consolidation then Pulls Back.scond - 23 KB, downloaded 460 time(s).
Breakout of Consolidation.scond - 15 KB, downloaded 527 time(s).
Bullish Engulfing Candle Stick Pattern.bscan - 28 KB, downloaded 455 time(s).
Candle Bullish Hammer.scond - 17 KB, downloaded 506 time(s).
Class Cup with Handle.scond - 28 KB, downloaded 455 time(s).
Class Double Bottom.scond - 26 KB, downloaded 505 time(s).
Class Head and Shoulder.scond - 34 KB, downloaded 457 time(s).
Cycler.bTool - 68 KB, downloaded 529 time(s).
Daily Volatility.pane - 10 KB, downloaded 471 time(s).
Earnings Test.bscan - 8 KB, downloaded 479 time(s).
Industry Best of Best.scond - 9 KB, downloaded 523 time(s).
Industry Strategy Test.bscan - 19 KB, downloaded 458 time(s).
Industry Worst of Best.scond - 9 KB, downloaded 433 time(s).
Institutional Scan.bscan - 8 KB, downloaded 538 time(s).
Mutual Fund Fiesta.bWorks - 119 KB, downloaded 447 time(s).
Price Flag Pattern.scond - 15 KB, downloaded 521 time(s).
Sales minus Capitalization.pane - 5 KB, downloaded 464 time(s).
Sales vs. Cap.scond - 4 KB, downloaded 467 time(s).
Volatility Stochastic Value Change.scond - 7 KB, downloaded 525 time(s).
Volatility Stochastic Value.scond - 7 KB, downloaded 462 time(s).
Volatility Stochastic.pane - 12 KB, downloaded 442 time(s).
200710 Notes from Atlanta.pdf - 1,999 KB, downloaded 753 time(s).

Perky580
Posted : Monday, October 8, 2007 8:43:21 PM
I believe all post that pertains to Blocks should be in the Blocks Discussion Forum.   It wouldn't hurt to have the instructor Notes there as well.

Great class and I recommended a few things I would like to see a Video on.

1-  Using the Date Pointer and Value Pointer as a Cross Bar.  That was significant for me coming from different Platform. 

Not neccessary a video but creating hot keys for :   zooming on the chart  

Receiving data on Futures..

just wanted to share..again.... great class
Julia_O
Posted : Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:51:59 AM

Worden Trainer

Perky580,

Those are great suggestions!  I definitely agree that Date/Value customization should be made into a video.  I'll work on one and make it available at www.Blocks.com once complete.

Thanks again, and glad you enjoyed the class-
Julia
walabi-1
Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:40:35 PM
Julia:

Enjoyed your class in Atlanta.

Can't find folders for "Columns" and "Strategy Conditions" in the Tools Parts Folder. I do not quite understand your "Once there, you can add it in your Strategy via the ADD CONDITION" + button and choosing MY COMPUTER". Please ellaborate a little bit more how to get these conditions in the proper folders. New to Blocks. Thanks.
Tal_E
Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:52:41 PM

Worden Trainer

The "Once there" is referring to the file.  Once you have your file in the proper location you can access the file via the Add Study button or the Add Condition button.  This is the green plus in upper left corner of your chart in Blocks.  All of your saved files will be located in the My Documents folder.  Select the file from the notes  that you wish to add and save it in the proper location.  For example, a saved plot would follow this path...

My Documents\Blocks Files\Tool Parts\Chart
StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:03:04 PM

Administration

The Columns and Strategy condition folders do not exist until you save a column or condition for the first time.  If you're saving a file from the forum, you'll have to manually create the folders in ..\Blocks Files\Tool Parts.
T90
Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2007 2:59:04 PM
Hi Julia at Atlanta you had indicated that one could use the Helmscott Financial Criteria in scans, when I tried to look for them by clicking on +Buy all I get are 7 criteria, and not all the other Helmscott Criteria that are available in the Indicator pull down menues on the chart.  How does one get all those criteria that can be plotted on a chart but not available in the scan menu.

They showed up on your computer.  I emailed 2 images to support, and chatted with David_T.  His software also showed the same 7 criteria available.

Your example on page 14 shows earnings test uses helmscott financials and they do not show up in my selction menu under Buy+ or Sell+

Could somebody look at it and get back, thanks

AK
bobre1
Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2007 4:00:09 PM
kiri.... the earnings test referred to in the class notes isn't one of the library strategy conditions that get automatically downloaded.

The Earnings Test strategy  is in the list of files that are available for download in Julia's post at the top of this thread.  

It's the 16th in the list of attachments.

It was on Julia's PC and not yours (ours), because she had already downloaded or created them on her PC.

Bob
Craig_S
Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2007 7:42:36 PM

Worden Trainer

In the Hemscott folder you will find:

Criteria Raw History Value (use QuickEdit to set the condition like earnings or sales)

This is for scanning for specific financial values (like earnings above 10 million).
You will also find:

Criteria Raw History Net Change

This is what Julia used for her Earnings test.  She used QuickEdit to set it to Earnings.

- Craig
Here to Help!