Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Suggest another program to use with TC2000 data for creating trendlines Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
PRSC24
Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:53:48 PM
Fellow users,

I primarily use tc2000 for backtesting data, and use the charts to only show price and volume.

As you know, trying to create code to backtest trendlines/channels is very difficult. I've always wondered how basic trendlines and channels perform, so I'll do my backtesting by hand. I recently started hand charting a) Gann's three bar mechanical method, b) Krausz's modified Gann method, c) John R Hill's pivot point swing chart method and d) Thom Hartle's swing chart method. In addition, all four referenced methods allow and encourage channels and applicable trading rules.

Now, here's my problem. On one screen (F1 key), say I want to create hand drawn swing lines and trend channels using Gann. On screen two (F2 key) I want to draw in trend channels and channels using Hill's method. Well, you can see where I'm going. Currently, whatever you draw on one screen defaults to all the others.

Question: Do you know of another program that uses TC2000 data and 1) has excellent trendline drawing tools and 2) allows one to save multiple charts - each with a different type of trendline construction.

As as aside, this is not a slam or bitch in anyway about TC2000 charting. I just want to do something that's not currently possible with the TC2000 charts.

TIA

Eric

grimmer01
Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 6:19:30 PM
I just found this online and i may give it a try.

http://www.nebadawn.com/Free-Trial.htm

It seems to be the best software that automatically draws trendlines and you can use it with TC2007.

Will
jschott
Posted : Saturday, November 17, 2007 11:18:13 PM
Wow, expensive!

I think some of what you want is available with Amibroker, which reads TC data directly.and is somewhat based on Metastocks model plus features not yet in Metastock.  I often move data into both Metastock, Amibroker and other TA software from a variety of source for explotations and I've moved data from other data providers via these same routes.

The have some trendline capabilities but I don't remember doing this as automatic function but check the user addons and write the author t0o check what they do have as the have a powerful programming language.  The site is Amibroker.com although the product is made in Poland.  They do give prompt support via email and there English documentation is good if lone and detailed. 

Note that TC exports for delimited ascii and an older version of Metastock (255 symbols) so you can use it with most TA plotting packages.
alindsley
Posted : Saturday, February 9, 2008 2:13:02 PM

>>Question: Do you know of another program that uses TC2000 data and 1) has excellent trendline drawing tools and 2) allows one to save multiple charts - each with a different type of trendline construction.

Long ago I discovered TCScan+ and have used it since as a powerful companion to Telechart.  IMHO it is well worth the small one time charge they ask to register it after the trial. TCS+ will draw channels, fibs, trends, & much much more.  http://www.tcscanplus.com/  . I really do not understand why Mr. Worden does  not buy these folks out and incorporate their features in an otherwise crippled Telechart (without TCS+).

Other than a happy user for a couple years now, I have no other affiliation with them (other than occassionally writing their support person in the early months of my use). Even that was a good experience.