Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: PRSC24
About
User Name: PRSC24
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 17
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Point & Figure charts
Posted: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 1:24:42 AM

The title made me smile.  Been asked and answered some time back:

"I have become familiar with point and figure charts and their use. Why aren't these methods used on tc2000 software?  Point and Figure charts seem to have some advantages over the other charting methods. Can they be integrated into the current software or do you find their use and application impractical? -BB

When I get a question like this, I often wish I could say something like, “Why do you want to know? What do you want to accomplish with P&F charts?” Chances are the answer would be something like, “I just wish I could have more and better trades.”

If that would be your answer, then I would say, “They won’t improve your percentage in any way, and they won’t increase the size of your average profit. They may complicate your life by having one more thing to look at.”

Then you might say, “That’s well and good for you to say, because you don’t have them in TC2000. But I happen to have heard that you used to publish P&F charts and that you developed some kind of a system that required them.”

“Oh, so that’s it!” I respond. “Okay, sit down and I’ll tell you the story.”

Once upon a time there were no computers. I am one of the unlucky minority who remember those days vividly. We had paper and pencils and graph paper. And elbow grease. Each day we sat down and plotted the high, low close and volume on a chart. It required skill and practice. You had to keep all four numbers in your head until you finished the plotting. If you forgot them, you had to go back to the price page of the Journal and find your place. You might say, why didn’t you mark your place with a red pencil, and I would tell you that I tried that and it was too slow. You had to hold them in your head. To be really good you had to be able to plot the bar from high to low without first making little dots and then connecting them. This saved an enormous amount of time. You, twenty-first century trader, know nothing of such onerous tasks.

No matter how good you were, one person could keep up only a limited number of daily bar charts. But there was another kind of chart. MUCH easier to keep up. You guessed it, my man. It was called the Point & Figure Chart. Depending on the exact type of P&F chart you used, one person could keep a chart of every listed stock in maybe two hours a day. The key to the ingenious efficiency built into the P&F was that you only have to plot any given chart when something happens. If the price of XYZ doesn’t change much, chances are you won’t have to plot any of those X’s and O’s on the XYZ chart. As I recall, only about one in five charts need to be plotted on an average day.

You now know the overwhelming advantage of P&F charts. They’re easier to keep up than bar charts. But you have a computer! Not only can you keep bar charts up by pushing a few buttons, you have access to varying time frames and more indicators than you would be wise to try to use.

Is that all there is to it? Not quite. That’s the important part though. There is a certain mystique about P&F charts. I think it’s because sidewise movement does not depict time. It depicts happenings. Specifically it depicts the number of defined price reversals. There are no indicators on P&F charts, not even volume.

A P&F chart is a “summary” of price events. You do not plot prices. You plot prices that have been rounded off in a number of ways. I found that they lend themselves to tactical systems, because they are so simplified that it is easy to classify stocks as in upswings, downswings and congestion areas. Loss-cut points are easy to set up. There is, however, a serious question of whether this is “simplification” or “over-simplification.”

A method of P&F chart “analysis” that was widely used was counting the number of squares in a base, and then setting a target the same number of vertical spaces up. This is nothing more than what I would term “seductive nonsense.” It will work just often enough to keep those who want to believe believing.

I’m not saying we shall never include P&F charts in TC2000. I don’t know, and it won’t be my decision. If we do, it will be only a minority of Users who will use them. The computer age is here and P&F charts are not on the cutting edge. -DW

Topic: Thanksgiving Weekend Challenge
Posted: Monday, December 16, 2013 10:44:58 PM

Okay then.  I'm uping the ante to 2 starbuck cards. : )

I have found out that he uses an average of the daily range (H less L) as the basis for the upper and lower trend lines.  I have created a number of different daily range averages as indicators but it could be any combination.  I suspect this one won't be solved.

Merry Christmas and good trading to all.

Eric

Topic: Thanksgiving Weekend Challenge
Posted: Saturday, November 30, 2013 4:47:41 PM

Hello,

I’ve been following a trader that posts charts having a horizontal trend line above and below the first day of the month High and Low  and I haven’t been able to crack his method (it’s a challenge that I’m not getting).  The trend lines are created after the first day of each month and extend to the end of the month and then change accordingly.  He claims they are volatility derived but doesn’t give much more info. 

Five recent examples as of 11/1/13 are as follows:

AAPL: Upper line is 538.17 and lower line is 502.47 (Number needed: 13.37)

AMZN: Upper line is 375.69 and lower line is 346.18 (Number needed: 9.92

NFLX: Upper line is 347.53 and lower line is 311.87 (Number needed: 14.03

WFM: Upper line is 65.6 and lower line is 614.34 (Number needed: 1.44)

WYNN: Upper line is 171.52 and lower line is 162.85 (Number needed: 3.57)

If anyone gets real close to these figures, I'll send you a $25 Starbucks gift card.  Really : )

Thanks,

Eric

Topic: SPY Data
Posted: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 10:36:51 PM
Question regarding SPY OHLC data.Background:I created two custom ROC indicators as described by Woodshedder at http://ibankcoin.com/woodshedderblog/category/roc-indicator/ and TC2007 matches all his ROC5 results but the ROC252 is not close. The ROC5 is (C-C5)/C5*100 and the ROC252 is (C-C252)/C252*100. I downloaded SPY data from the Yahoo site and then both numbers match Woodshedder’s. Next I checked the results at Stockcharts and there’s too matches Woodshedder’s. Example, using TC2007 on 11/8/11 the ROC5 is 4.82 and the ROC252 is 5.7. Stockcharts as of 11/8/11 is ROC5: 4.82 but the ROC252 is 7.25. Question:Three separate sources provide the same results for the ROC252 but Worden’s long term data for SPY is different. Can you tell me why that is? Thanks
Topic: Another Bollinger Band Question
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:45:29 PM
I notice that the TC2007 default BB gives a slightly different reading than say brand X, err, stockcharts. But, when I use the PCF you provided and a 20 rather than the 19 I get the same reading as stockcharts.   Interesting.
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:18:21 PM
Yes that did it and thank you.

If it's not too complicated, why the 19 and the aritmetic.

Thank you
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2011 8:32:57 PM
Hello Sir,
I would like to create an upper and lower BB custom indicator in the top window and then not have it visual so I can get the daily BB readings when I press the “Period” key twice and the window opens providing the applicable data.
I did a search here and found an upper BB PCF as follows:
 (AVGC20 + 2 * SQR(ABS(C ^ 2 + C1 ^ 2 + C2 ^ 2 + C3 ^ 2 + C4 ^ 2 + C5 ^ 2 + C6 ^ 2 + C7 ^ 2 + C8 ^ 2 + C9 ^ 2 + C10 ^ 2 + C11 ^ 2 + C12 ^ 2 + C13 ^ 2 + C14 ^ 2 + C15 ^ 2 + C16 ^ 2 + C17 ^ 2 + C18 ^ 2 + C19 ^ 2 - 20 * AVGC20 ^ 2) /20))
And a lower BB PCF as follows:
(AVGC20 - 2 * SQR(ABS(C ^ 2 + C1 ^ 2 + C2 ^ 2 + C3 ^ 2 + C4 ^ 2 + C5 ^ 2 + C6 ^ 2 + C7 ^ 2 + C8 ^ 2 + C9 ^ 2 + C10 ^ 2 + C11 ^ 2 + C12 ^ 2 + C13 ^ 2 + C14 ^ 2 + C15 ^ 2 + C16 ^ 2 + C17 ^ 2 + C18 ^ 2 + C19 ^ 2 - 20 * AVGC20 ^ 2) / 20))
They work fine and provide the actual reading for the day but ….. when I checked the “Visual” box I noted that my indicator lines did not match up the default indicator BB’s. I have the “Plot using price scale” checked and I tried both simple and exponential. I’m doing something wrong here and would appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.
Topic: Custom Indicator Question
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 3:06:58 PM

I see that if I check the "Plot using price scale" the lines magically come together.  Please disregard ill informed question.

Topic: Custom Indicator Question
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:31:22 PM

This has probably only been asked thousands of times but that will make this one easy for you to answer.

I have never looked at the custom indicator and for fun I just put in a 5 day moving average based on the close in the upper window: (c+c1+c2+c3+c4)/5.  And, by gosh there’s the line on the chart.

Next, I added the default 5 day moving average. 

Question:  Why are the depicted lines on the chart so different while the calculated numbers appearing in the pop up box (double click the period key) the same?  For instance, IOC on 11/30/10 has both the default 5 DMA number and the custom number at 76.63.  However, the displayed lines are not the same.  The Worden 5 DMA appears right on but the custom line is at approximately 78.

Thank you.

Topic: Finding the three highest closes in the past 20 days
Posted: Saturday, July 17, 2010 10:38:24 PM
Hello,
Can a PCF be created that averages the three highest closes in the last 20 days?
I would like to look at charts where today’s close is greater than the average of the 3 highest closes over the previous 20 days. As an example, on 4/6/10 AIG closed at 35.91 and the average of the highest 3 closes from the previous 20 days was 35.47 (36.24 on 3/10/10; 35.11 on 3/11/10 and 35.06 on 4/5/10).
Thanks in advance for any help.
Eric