Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Cumulative Indicator as posted in Feb 1 Worden Notes Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
redeyes
Posted : Tuesday, February 1, 2005 11:06:51 PM
Hi folks,

I am interested in applying Sir Tisync's Cumulative Indicator as posted in today Worden Notes. But I must have missed something. How can this be an indicator when it looks like a true/false boolean operation, which is not allowed as a custom indicator?

I do not see the field "value to add/subtract" as he mentions that he puts a 1+1 in to get around the formula error.

Would someone please enlighten me?

RedEyes
Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 8:20:45 AM

Worden Trainer

He used a Custom Cumulative indicator. If you right click in one of the chart windows you should see ADD INDICATOR. Go to CUSTOM then CUMULATIVE and you should see all the fields he menitions.

- Craig
Here to Help!
Herky_love
Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 3:09:53 PM
Hi

'Sir Tisync (Feb. 2. 05)

I get aCumulative Error!!!!!
Must be boolean formula.

In addition, the MA do not show up in the windows.

what am I doing wrong?
Thanks Linda
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 7:30:04 PM

Worden Trainer

The Cumulative Indicator Settings window has three formula windows. To avoid the error, put the following in each:

Up Condition:
c-avgc10>0 and avgc20>(avgc20+avgc20.1+avgc20.2)/3

Down Condition:
c-avgc10<0 and avgc20<(avgc20+avgc20.1+avgc20.2)/3

Value To Add/Subtract:
1+1

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Herky_love
Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 11:00:17 PM
Hi
I made the mistake, and put one formula into the middle, and one into the bottom window.

Now, I put them all into one window, and it works,

Thank you very much
Linda

redeyes
Posted : Wednesday, February 2, 2005 11:14:10 PM
Now I got it working, thanks. There is some real potential with this Cummulative Indicator.

How does it work? I am stumped and not afraid to admit it.

The up condition as well as the down condition are boolean expressions. And then the value to add field has 1+1 in it.

Doesn't seem logical to me.

jerpk
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 8:53:28 AM
Hello--I am having some trouble with this as well. I entered the formulae and got a single blue line which is what I expected to see, but when I tried to add the 3 and 5 bar ma's the lines were all so close together that it was hard to see any crossovers. Am I doing something wrong?? I used a period of 1 which seemed to be the default for the cumulative indicator itself and I applied the ma's to the indicator. Thanks. Jerry
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 9:46:32 AM

Worden Trainer

I could be wrong, but based on my reading of the report, I don't think he suggests adding moving averages to the indicator. I think he is saying he also uses a more sensitive alternate version of the indicator with different settings for Custom Cumulative.

Up Condition:
c-avgc3>0 and avgc5>(avgc5+avgc5.1+avgc5.2)/3

Down Condition:
c-avgc3<0 and avgc5<(avgc5+avgc5.1+avgc5.2)/3

Value To Add/Subtract:
1+1

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jerpk
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 10:26:35 AM
Hi Bruce--The line in Sir Tysync's report that confused me reads "Place a 3 bar ma and a 5 bar ma on this indicator" (I assume this indicator refers to the up-down cumulative indicator because that is what he was discussing immediately before this sentence) A couple of paragraphs later he talks about a "faster" indicator to which I believe you referred, but I interpreted this to be substituted for the 10 20 indicators he intially described. So I guess I am still confused about the use of the 3 and 5 bar ma's "applied to this indicator" Can you help?? Thanks. Jerry
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 11:35:14 AM

Worden Trainer

jerpk,
Again, I'm reading through the report just like you and could be wrong, but you appear to be correct. I'm not sure how my mind glossed over that and interpreted it as being part of the second indicator (although I'm sure it had something to do with using the same timeframes).

Unfortunately, the trainers in this forum aren't in a position to offer any interpretation advice and I can't really tell you what to do with the two Moving Averages.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
jerpk
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 11:51:23 AM
Is there a way to contact Sir Tisync or get this matter clarified? I did apply the ma's to the indicator and he does repeatedly mention the indicator and the ma's crossing.If I blow the chart up to a zoom of 8 or so, you can see this happening, but he talks about seeing crossovers with a zoom of 1 or 3 which seems difficult to impossible to me. Thanks. Jerry
StockGuy
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 12:12:19 PM

Administration

jerpk,

I plotted Tisync's indicators and they appear correct just as described. The fact that he can see the crossovers clearly on a zoom=1 and you cannot could be caused by many factors...video card resolution, monitor size, eyesight. Also, I plotted the indicator in white and the averages in darker colors which makes it easy to see when the indicator is riding on top of or below the averages and when it makes a transition from one to the other.
jerpk
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 12:52:20 PM
Stockguy--Thanks. I am using a laptop and perhaps that is the reason I can't see the crossovers without using a larger zoom. I thought perhaps it was because I had done something incorrectly. I guess I'm still not sure that my settings are correct, but I believe I did everything right. Did you leave the period at 1 in the cumulative indicator? Are the 3 lines quite close together? If the answer to both those questions is yes, then the problem probably lies in the inherent resolution of my laptop. Jerry
Herky_love
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 1:49:12 PM
Hi.

With Zoom 5 one can see the crossover very nicely.

In addition, I added the 21 & 55 MA to the middle window
as Tysinc suggested.

In the lower window I then put the faster indicator,
again with all the MA.

Works great
Thanks
Linda

TiSync
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 5:30:06 PM
Hi to all

the way I use this is I placed the close over 10 indicator in the top window and the faster close over 3 indicator in the bottom window and did apply the 3, 5, 21, 55 MA's to each indicator... I only used the zoom 1 to describe the action of the indicator .... normally I use a zoom of 5 or 6 about 3 to 4 months on the screen... you can then see the cross overs clearly.... I posted a note on the QQQQ's with a shared chart so you can open the note.. click on the "chart template", then click on "save as" and type in a name you like -- click "OK" and you will have a chart template saved on your machine that is set up the way I use the "system"

I'll be glade to respond to any other questions..

Ken (a.k.a. Sir Tisync)
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, February 3, 2005 6:50:23 PM

Worden Trainer

You can't get anybody better to answer a question on this subject than Sir TiSync himself! Thanks for stopping by the forums.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Herky_love
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2005 10:27:30 AM
Hi.

>>>I posted a note on the QQQQ's with a shared chart so you can open the note.. click on the "chart template", then click on "save as" and type in a name you like -- click "OK" and you will have a chart template saved on your machine that is set up the way I use the "system"<<<

Ok, where to I find that ?
Thanks
Linda

StockGuy
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2005 10:41:45 AM

Administration

Herky,

Shared charts is part of the Platinum (TCNet) service level.
bustermu
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2005 12:34:52 PM
The Sir Tisync Indicator is described in The Worden Report of 02/01/05. The buy and sell signals were determined on the QQQQ for two time intervals.

From 04/01/04 to 02/02/05:
Total Trades,,,,,,,,,5
Profitable Trades,,,2
Losing Trades,,,,,,,,3
Net Profit,,,,,,,,,,3.48 points

From the October 2002 bottom to 2/02/05:
Total Trades,,,,,,,,29
Profitable Trades,,,7
Losing Trades,,,,,,22
Net Loss,,,,,,,,,,,5.32 points

Positions were reversed at each signal and the current open short was not included. From the 10/02 bottom to the top, the QQQQ doubled by gaining 20 points. The problem is that the signals occur too late.

Did anyone get similar results? Maybe I have an error. My arithmatic is not too good, but I went through it three times.

Thanks,
Jim Murphy
TiSync
Posted : Friday, February 4, 2005 6:17:05 PM
if you trade with only the indicator you are correct you will not regularly be profitable.... the indicator was designed to be used for long side trades only (either in or out)in an attempt to reduce the number of whipsaws.. If you want to trade both sides you will need a faster indicator which is why I included the formula for the "faster" indicator.. However, a faster indicator will produce more whips.. And I also suggested the use of trailing loss cuts.. Which I think should be used which ever side of the market you are trading on..

All "systems" have flaws.. And this one is not a grail.. There are times when you should not be in the market either short or long.. However it will provide solid profits that beat the market when used with common sense and loss cuts..

Ken - Tisync
rssoren
Posted : Saturday, February 12, 2005 9:17:33 AM
QUOTE (rssoren)
[quote=TiSync]Hi to all

the way I use this is I placed the close over 10 indicator in the top window and the faster close over 3 indicator in the bottom window and did apply the 3, 5, 21, 55 MA's to each indicator... I only used the zoom 1 to describe the action of the indicator .... normally I use a zoom of 5 or 6 about 3 to 4 months on the screen... you can then see the cross overs clearly.... I posted a note on the QQQQ's with a shared chart so you can open the note.. click on the &amp;quot;chart template&amp;quot;, then click on &amp;quot;save as&amp;quot; and type in a name you like -- click &amp;quot;OK&amp;quot; and you will have a chart template saved on your machine that is set up the way I use the &amp;quot;system&amp;quot;

I'll be glade to respond to any other questions..

Ken (a.k.a. Sir Tisync)

I was wondering if you use a simple or exponential MA with the formula and the other MA's. Also, what smoothing average number do you use on the cumulative indicator setting? I don't have TCNet to look at the chart you posted. (Sorry this was posted twice, but I needed to add something to my comment.)
TiSync
Posted : Monday, February 21, 2005 5:48:50 PM
Hi... was gone for a while... I use simple MA's and leave the smoothing at "1"... will try to get back sooner if you have any other questions...

Ken
TiSync
Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:55:53 PM
I've posted a note in "PCF's, EasyScans and Custom Indicators" on some Custom Loss Cut Indicators that work well wiith these Cumulative Indicators Under the Heading - Custom Indicators to aid with loss cuts...

Ken - AKA Sir Tisync
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:59:06 PM

Worden Trainer

Here is the link to the thread:

Custom Indicators to aid with loss cuts

- Craig
Here to Help!