Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Timed Internet Updates Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
JohnGault
Posted : Wednesday, August 9, 2006 6:32:01 PM

Does anyone know if there is a developer that has made it possible to do automatically timed updates of the TC database during the day? If not, could this possible be done by way of a macro program or something? I'd like to have TC do unattended backups at regular intervals - say every 15 minutes - if possible.

Thanks
dmitrix
Posted : Saturday, August 19, 2006 11:09:08 AM
John,

I use AutoIT (external link removed by moderator) for a lot of my automation work.
siddha
Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:58:42 AM
I have been testing System Scheduler 3.6.1, which is freeware. I have been having issues getting it to consistently launch and then update TC2007 EOD data though. Not sure what the bug is, may not be related to this at all. Will try AutoIT next. Tested my SDRAM and no problems there. Seems to be a WinXP dll and/or kernel conflict with the latest version of TC2007 (6.0.0048). I already talked to technical support at Worden but they were not able to help.

System Scheduler 3.6.1 has been great for getting my Amibroker to launch. Then it will also launch my JavaScripts which run the series of scripts I use to handle market breadth analysis, sector analysis, weekly chart analysis, and daily chart analysis automatically in Amibroker. TC2007 just supplies the data. And I do need the data...
siddha
Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:17:57 AM
I uninstalled System Scheduler, which looks like it may have been conflicting with TC2007 (along with WinXP). I then installed AutoIT and am using this small script (written in proprietary AutoIT language) to automatically launch and update TC2007 --

Run("C:\Program Files\TeleChart\TeleChart.exe")
Sleep(60000)
WinWaitActive("Update TeleChart Databank")
Send("{ENTER}")

I launch the script once a day using the "Scheduled Tasks" application that comes with WinXP. Setting up multiple scheduled tasks would allow for additional updates of TC data throughout the day, if you are doing intraday trading.

I have tested this and it appears rock solid. AutoIT (freeware) is far less invasive with WinXP than System Scheduler (freeware).

WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks" software will open TC2007, but you cannot pass keyboard commands (for updating the TC2007 data, for example, since the update function requires separate keyboard commands), so you have to use another program such as AutoIT to automate the process.

If TC2007 simply had built into it something that would allow it to automatically update data each time it was opened (as a user preference setting), or by launching a separate .exe file, the need for something other than WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks" software would not exist. I have not used TCNet so I cannot speak to it. I use EOD data and sometimes I need to automatically update this data a couple of times a day to make sure my trades are rock solid.

In the meantime, I recommend using AutoIT.
siddha
Posted : Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:27:44 AM
WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks" software will allow for TC data updates every 15 minutes (in response to the original post on this thread). Simply run your AutoIt script at regular intervals throughout the day.