Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: siddha
About
User Name: siddha
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 7
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Automation - updating data on a schedule
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 3:18:40 PM
Okay, here's my final AutoIT (freeware) script... this will open TC, update the database, and then also close TC, automatically, using WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks."

Run("C:\Program Files\TeleChart\TeleChart.exe")
Sleep(60000)
WinWaitActive("Update TeleChart Databank")
Send("{ENTER}")
Sleep(120000)
ProcessClose("TeleChart.exe")
Topic: Timed Internet Updates
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:27:44 AM
WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks" software will allow for TC data updates every 15 minutes (in response to the original post on this thread). Simply run your AutoIt script at regular intervals throughout the day.
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:17:57 AM
I uninstalled System Scheduler, which looks like it may have been conflicting with TC2007 (along with WinXP). I then installed AutoIT and am using this small script (written in proprietary AutoIT language) to automatically launch and update TC2007 --

Sleep(60000)
Send("{ENTER}")

I launch the script once a day using the "Scheduled Tasks" application that comes with WinXP. Setting up multiple scheduled tasks would allow for additional updates of TC data throughout the day, if you are doing intraday trading.

I have tested this and it appears rock solid. AutoIT (freeware) is far less invasive with WinXP than System Scheduler (freeware).

WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks" software will open TC2007, but you cannot pass keyboard commands (for updating the TC2007 data, for example, since the update function requires separate keyboard commands), so you have to use another program such as AutoIT to automate the process.

If TC2007 simply had built into it something that would allow it to automatically update data each time it was opened (as a user preference setting), or by launching a separate .exe file, the need for something other than WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks" software would not exist. I have not used TCNet so I cannot speak to it. I use EOD data and sometimes I need to automatically update this data a couple of times a day to make sure my trades are rock solid.

In the meantime, I recommend using AutoIT.
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 10:11:27 AM
I uninstalled System Scheduler, which looks like it may have been conflicting with TC2007 (along with WinXP). I then installed AutoIT and am using this small script (written in proprietary AutoIT language) to automatically launch and update TC2007 --

Sleep(60000)
Send("{ENTER}")

I launch the script once a day using the "Scheduled Tasks" application that comes with WinXP. Setting up multiple scheduled tasks would allow for additional updates of TC data throughout the day, if you are doing intraday trading.

I have tested this and it appears rock solid. AutoIT (freeware) is far less invasive with WinXP than System Scheduler (freeware).

WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks" software will open TC2007, but you cannot pass keyboard commands (for updating the TC2007 data, for example, since the update function requires separate keyboard commands), so you have to use another program such as AutoIT to automate the process.

If TC2007 simply had built into it something that would allow it to automatically update data each time it was opened, or by launching a separate .exe file, the need for something other than WinXP's "Scheduled Tasks" software would not exist.

In the meantime, I recommend using AutoIT.
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 2:16:35 AM
I should mention that I use the sector/industry breakdowns in TC, since they import nicely into Amibroker for more intensive analysis. I would very much like to stay with TC, but it's been two full days troubleshooting DLLs and hardware and it's now whittled down to using TC2007 with WinXP. Anyone else experiencing this error? --

AppName: telechart.exe AppVer: 6.0.0.48 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00018fea

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\85a6_appcompat.txt

R6025 Pure virtual function call

.... or this one?

AppName: telechart.exe AppVer: 6.0.0.48 ModName: kernel32.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2945 Offset: 00012a5b

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\d91e_appcompat.txt
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 2:10:12 AM
I have the rest of my trading system fully automated. The only thing I can't get to automate is TC2007 data updates on a daily basis. The TC2007 software either crashes my PC or it hangs as the update is happening. I am using System Scheduler (freeware) to perform the automation on TC2005. My preference is to use JavaScript, since I am using JavaScript to interface with my other trading system applications, and automating all of my scripting and analysis.

Just stumbled into the TC SDK here. Is this the best way to automate? I am trying to reduce TC DLL conflicts with Windows so I can just get this over with. Either that, or I will dump TC altogether and find another EOD data source provider.

I already called TC support and they were unable to help resolve the issues I am seeing. Only system issue I have is related to TC2007 it seems. My previous TC2005 worked forever without issues.

Can I use my TC2005 install disks and still update EOD data, without TC trying to update my TC software to TC2007, also?
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 1:58:42 AM
I have been testing System Scheduler 3.6.1, which is freeware. I have been having issues getting it to consistently launch and then update TC2007 EOD data though. Not sure what the bug is, may not be related to this at all. Will try AutoIT next. Tested my SDRAM and no problems there. Seems to be a WinXP dll and/or kernel conflict with the latest version of TC2007 (6.0.0048). I already talked to technical support at Worden but they were not able to help.

System Scheduler 3.6.1 has been great for getting my Amibroker to launch. Then it will also launch my JavaScripts which run the series of scripts I use to handle market breadth analysis, sector analysis, weekly chart analysis, and daily chart analysis automatically in Amibroker. TC2007 just supplies the data. And I do need the data...