Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Online broker recommendation Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
rwesley
Posted : Monday, May 8, 2006 5:57:16 AM
Hi,

I have now been using TC2005 and paper trading for approximately 6 months. The approach I have taken is to use an EasyScan to generate a list of stocks with above average performance for EPS, revenue growth rate, profit margin and P/E ratio. On a daily basis this normally generates a list of approximately 60 stocks which I then take forward for further technical investigation. To this point I have not used the EasyScan to filter on price per share.

I'm now at the point of finding a suitable online broker and was wondering if other TC2005 users had any recommendations. I'm obviously very keen to pay as little commission as possible and do not think I need to pay for broker assistance when placing an order. My initial pot will be limited (of the order of $5K) therefore I have two real options:

a. Continue to ignore price per share in my EasyScan, which could potentially mean that I can only trade very small numbers of shares. Minimum order size then seems to limit my choice of online brokers.
b. Change my EasyScan to only look at low cost (e.g. < $5) shares. In this case I would either need to relax my fundamental criteria or be prepared to accept a very short list of daily candidates for technical analysis.

I've found a couple of brokers (don't know if I can name them in the forum?), one of which charges $7 per trade but has no minimum order size, and another which charges $1 per trade but has a minimum order size of 100 shares.

My inclination is to go for the lower commission and adapt my EasyScan to only look at low cost shares plus relax the fundamental criteria, however I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Best Regards
Richard
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, May 8, 2006 6:15:12 AM

Worden Trainer

You and others are welcome to name brokers, just not post URLs (XXXX.com).

- Craig
Here to Help!
diceman
Posted : Monday, May 8, 2006 8:10:47 AM
rwesley

This is from a post (3/10):

TASC magazine just came out with its 2006 readers choice awards.
STOCK BROKERAGES:

Interactive Brokers
TradeStation Securities
Ameritrade
Schwab
E Trade
OptionsXpress
Scottrade
Brown and Co.
Fidelity
TD Waterhouse

DIRECT-ACCESS STOCK BROKERS:

TradeStation
Interactive Brokers
CyboeTrader
Fidelity Active Trader Pro
MB Trading
Robbins Trading
Terra Nova Online

STANDALONE ANALYTICAL SOFTWARE, $500 AND LESS:

TeleChart 2005 !!!!

Hope that helps
Good Luck
zoz
Posted : Monday, June 25, 2012 9:58:24 AM

QUOTE (diceman)
rwesley

This is from a post (3/10):

TASC magazine just came out with its 2006 readers choice awards.
STOCK BROKERAGES:

Diceman did TASC magazine say anything about the readers being subscribers or did they just label them readers ?  Promoters , advertising agencys and marketinjg groups could also be readers and If those readers actually used the platform of TradeStation beyond the point of learning  how to operate it certainly wouldn't be recommending them I wouldn't think, except to observe irregularties , possible to investagate fraudelent activities. I highly recommend a trader , or a would be trader to at least learn and use the TradeStation  Platform so they can understand the impossibility that trading to accelerate their return on investment is a pipe dream... so I question these Readers who voted . Were they out of their minds?

Interactive Brokers         
TradeStation Securities
Ameritrade
Schwab
E Trade
OptionsXpress
Scottrade
Brown and Co.
Fidelity
TD Waterhouse

DIRECT-ACCESS STOCK BROKERS:

TradeStation
Interactive Brokers
CyboeTrader
Fidelity Active Trader Pro
MB Trading
Robbins Trading
Terra Nova Online

STANDALONE ANALYTICAL SOFTWARE, $500 AND LESS:

TeleChart 2005 !!!!

Hope that helps
Good Luck

Big_Sky_Walker
Posted : Monday, June 25, 2012 10:56:59 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

ThinkorSwim with TD Ameritrade has SUPER charts you can trade off of and tons of support.

zoz
Posted : Sunday, July 1, 2012 9:47:12 PM

I curious about who came up with real time charting.. I would think it is a single company that all the online broker depend on to provide them with real time charting.  Was electronic data being generated by the exchanges and some software developer nwrote a program to convert the data to real time chart. or was the company envolved tth generating the data and online brokers just sign up for a package , Turn key is what the call it  a turnKey deal.  Probably a company that developed Acade games .icke Pac Man or something