Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Brainstorming for Market Ideas Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
drkenrich
Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2006 8:45:51 PM
Brainstorming is a unique method of generating ideas. Recently I participated in one that asked each individual to list as many different uses for a paperclip as possible in 1 minute. The most was about 12. Then we were broken up into groups of 5, given 2 miutes and asked to work as a group for the same purpose. Each group came up with more than 20 with the winner at about 40.

I would propose to do that here for the benefit of everyone.

There are simple rules:
1. NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS OR FEEDBACK ON ANY OTHER POST!
2. Each line should only have 4 to 8 words
3. Each line should represent a specific item or service

The topic of discussion is considering the following:
A. High oil prices seem to be here to stay and will probably rise
B. Housing and construction is slowing down
C. Manufacturing jobs are going overseas while service jobs seem to be increasing in the US.
D. The US economy is still surprising analysts in a positive manner.
Given ONLY the above list as many specific products and services as you can, the direction their prices will head and two to four words why.

Example:
Air travel - rise - price of driving going up
Air ticket price - flat - tightening competition
plastic toys - rise - price of oil going up
pizza - rise - transportation costs rising
home based income - drop - greater competition

Start by setting you mind in the groove of the topic of discussion then read other people's posts then write as many down as you can as quickly as you can. Don't stop yourself from entering something just because you think it's strange or stupid. Get as many ideas down as possible. The idea is to read through all the previous posts, let you mind connect with similar ideas on specifics, don't make any comments on other peoples posts whether you agree or not and let your mind free wheel.

Within a week or so, if others participate, there should be several hundred ideas everyone can glean from. The use for this list is to begin to see a concensus of products and services heading in similar directions. From that you can work backward to find those particular stocks that fit the expected direction based on the general ideas under the topic of discussion.

There should be a cut off date for this process - Let's say April 30, 2006. If this works we can do it again every 3 or 4 months as economic factors change.

Good luck and have fun,
Dr. Ken Rich
BigBlock
Posted : Thursday, March 30, 2006 10:17:03 PM
Hey Ken I suggest you check you industry groups, they will talk to you in tongue what to buy, what to sell, and what to keep an eye on in less than a minute.
HaveNoCents
Posted : Friday, March 31, 2006 9:04:24 AM
I agree.
awshucks
Posted : Friday, March 31, 2006 9:04:56 AM
Oops...I'm a rule breaker. Most effective traders/investors are. I don't like rule #1. There. I've gone and been negative!

Seriously, the markets are contentions in opinions supported by money flow. The bigger the flow on either side of the opinion line determines the movement.

Dr Ken sounds more like a social scientist trying to gauge sentiment. (oops, more 'negative'. I must try to control myself. )
diceman
Posted : Friday, March 31, 2006 10:04:25 AM
Quote:"1. NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS OR FEEDBACK ON ANY OTHER POST!"

Who is the arbiter of "truth"? Who determines what is positive and what is negative?

The "engine" of the stock market is disagreement. For every buyer there is a seller. The stock market is not designed to be "fair" and "equal". The very nature of market action creates winners and losers.

If I am bullish on the market and many bearish posts come up. I am not mad that people are disagreeing with me. (the majority tends to be wrong) I tend to feel even more confident in my position.

The key attribute that a trader/investor needs is the ability to adapt.

Lets say I am very bearish on GOOG stock. We don't know it yet but lets make believe by June 2006 it will be $700 a share. As long as I can realize what's happening and adapt to it. I can make almost as much money as if I was bullish on GOOG.

This idea may work for paper clips. I'm not sure its adaptable to the stock market.

Thanks