Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Alternate fuels Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
thowell
Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:30:33 AM
What industry group/s would contain companies that specialize in alternate energy/fuels? Trying to look for some stuff that may benefit from State of the Union Address Tonight. Thanks,
fpetry
Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:55:25 AM
I bought FCEL on 1/18 and 1/24, running good so far, hope to hold much longer. I think you'll find that most other stocks in that alternate fuel/energy group with good patterns are extended already in anticipation of Bush's speech tonight when he is supposed to make favorable comments on alternate energy sources. So put them on a watchlist maybe and wait for good entry on pullbacks. Or who knows, maybe they'll all fly tomorrow. Couple others in the group I know of are ESLR, HYGS, USEG.
diceman
Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:05:34 AM
I think ENER is another. I would consider all these trading ideas not investments. We speak about different forms of energy but, in the end revert back to crude. Ive heard about steam powered cars and windmill power since I was a little kid.

Im know expert but I can tell you what Ive heard. The biggest change in energy will be CANADA (OIL SANDS)
They finally have a way to extract their crude at a reasonable cost. Its in the groung already they dont have to drill.

They say theres enough supply to meet our (USA) needs for 200 years. That will reduce our need for ARAB oil.
This will probably create a lot of investment opportunities in both extraction and delivery systems
over the next decade.

Good Luck
malcolmb14
Posted : Wednesday, February 1, 2006 12:49:51 AM
try HYGS , any solar plays .. like ESLR ... just bullish ...in a three year up trend channel from 0.52 to $15.

alternate other than oil ... try Uranium / coal (check out MMGG and GETC, ACI for a coal play if you like the higher priced stocks) ..both trade on the OTC ..a little volatile but huge gains recently. (400% on GETC)

For a real interesting energy play check out IVAN ... they have recently been developing a gizmo that converts heavy crude into light crude. Most of the oil produced in the tar sands is heavy crude (diesel grade)... just imagine how much that piece of technology is worth !!

mmmm oil the stocks of the future ... maybe not (already overpriced)...coal and Uranium are the plays for this year in my opinion.

diceman
Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 12:31:09 AM
There is also an ETF.

Symbol: PBW
deind6
Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 1:41:12 PM
DSTI-Solar USEG-Uranium, on sale today :).
PBW is a good way to play it. As are all of the new PowerShares for sector plays. Check out PSI compared to SMH last few days.
joefraz1
Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 4:34:25 PM
You might take a look a MCEL - millenium cell - it's working on hydrogen fuel cell research.
BigBlock
Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 4:42:28 PM
Do you know what I think about this one. Well from the State of the Union - President Bush mention the addition of US to Oil(nothing new), agree. Therefore keep buying stocks in the oil sector. Addiction is a disease hard to fight, and in this case a lot of factors are pushing against recovery.
So add oil.
Clean energy, is ok too. The not so addicted to oil, will move away from it, and pass their buck to cleaner energy, setting for the infrastructure that will be needed. Momentum from the addicted will pass on to the clean, but you do not want to pass on at the end of the balance. It will take yrs to make the transition.
Play both fields, and balance as momentum in oil, and clean energy balances or unbalance adding more shrs to the winning side. Just an idea.
good luck
S2
Posted : Thursday, February 2, 2006 6:00:05 PM
I agree with BigBlock's observation and have a few of my own. One is that most of the alternate fuels stocks (FCEL, MCEL, DSTI, PLUG BLDP and many others) have all been down since the State of the Union speech And two when Buch talked about alternatives to oil he ended with nuclear, which seems to have been overlooked in this thread.

Also, while Bush has given lip service to alternate fuels in the past he has also cut in funds going to their R&D efforts. I think the clean alternates are a smoke screen with the administration and that they will really push for nuclear alternatives, which will draw lots of protests and allow the status quo with oil to continue; and for Bush to say he tried, but ...

deind6
Posted : Sunday, February 5, 2006 11:48:30 AM
Clean Dozen wl. May be reversing from initial selloff after President's SUA.
BLDP
CPST
DSTI
FCEL
HYGS
LFUS
MAG
MCEL
PLUG
POWL
USEG
ZOLT
Pharmboy
Posted : Monday, February 6, 2006 10:09:54 PM
May want to look at ADM - It takes a lot of sugar and corn to manufacture Ethanol - Notice the jump in price after the SUA.
Stmjd74
Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2006 11:25:45 PM
Hey! How come nobody mentioned PEIX? That's one to put in your watchlist and plan on keeping it there for a loooong time, regardless of the short-term ups and downs. It is currently the only exclusively ethanol fuel producing company in this country, and plans on building 8 new facilities within the next several years!
Stmjd74
Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2006 12:09:16 AM
Correction:

That's 5 new refineries in the next two years, not 8.