Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Average Directional Index (ADX) Topic Rating:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Sean_W
Posted : Wednesday, November 3, 2004 2:11:28 PM

Worden Trainer

Author: Sean Wander

Press the Play button on the bottom of the video to start.

If you prefer, you can download the video and watch it offline. Choose the Save option and save it to your hard drive. Extract the files to a location on your hard drive and double click on the .html file to launch the video. You must extract the files to your hard drive. You cannot play the video from the .zip file.

keywords: ADX indicator average directional index movement plot chart DI+ DI- information explanation

To view this video you must have Macromedia Flash Player and Microsoft Internet Explorer 5+
psrkn
Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2004 5:40:48 AM
I have one question regarding ADX. How do I use ADX in the easyscan?

Please help.
Craig_S
Posted : Sunday, December 12, 2004 9:04:43 AM

Worden Trainer

As of right now ADX is not available as a function in EasyScan. You can visually sort by it though! Check out this video:

Sort by Visual Value to find new highs and lows in price and indicators

- Craig
Here to Help!
Tanstaafl
Posted : Friday, December 17, 2004 10:59:23 AM
Check out the formulae for ADX and DI-crossovers at this link:
PCF for Wilder's DX, and/or a CI for Wilder's ADX

MarketReader
Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2005 3:29:34 PM
Your video on ADX was informative and it brought up some questions.
1. You indicated that DX Period was "one line is plotted for the ADX". According to the help section on the ADX,
"DX Period - Period used in computing the DX, and it's component +DI, and -DI values.
Avg Period - Used to apply a smoothing to the DX, which results in the ADX value"

But I may have misunderstood.

2. I will try different settings for the DX Period and the Avg Period.
My question is - when Wilder recommends a 14 period, is it the DX Period or the Avg Period?

Again, your video was informative. Thank you.
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, October 13, 2005 5:44:43 PM

Worden Trainer

The DX period determines the number of bars looked at to compute the ADX

I will assume he is referring to the DX period but I am not sure (have no reference to look at)

- Craig
Here to Help!
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, October 14, 2005 9:23:49 AM

Worden Trainer

While TeleChart provides the added versatility of adjusting both the DX Period and Avg Period, they are usually set to the same value and not adjusted independently.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
MarketReader
Posted : Friday, October 14, 2005 10:53:20 AM
Thank you guys for your response.
John
scottnlena
Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:10:47 PM

Is it possible to sort or search for the DX crossovers? I did see the link above for the pcf but after skiming through the various poasts was not shure which version is better.

Besides I think sorting might be the route I want to go.... is it possible to sort for crossovers. I see that I can sort by ADX and that gives the value of the "yellow line" ... but I'm not seeing how to sort for the crossovers. could use a PCF I guess but again i wasn't shure which one was best to use.
Bruce_L
Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:21:30 PM

Worden Trainer

scottnlena,
You may wish to review Tanstaafl's Wednesday, December 15, 2004 7:35:09 AM ET post in PCF for Wilder's Directional Movement DMI-crossovers.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
scottnlena
Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 11:26:57 AM

Yea... I saw that thread.... My hope was that though sorting I could find a way around the HUGE pcf and the sluggishness they spoke about. Like some little "thing" thas is generally also true when the DI lines cross.... just wondering.. I already have various mmethods to find good stocks.
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, March 23, 2007 11:35:56 AM

Worden Trainer

scottnlena,
Please look at the post that was specifically referenced in that topic. It provides a Custom Indicator and Indicator Sort based solution.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
dtwchu
Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:56:31 PM
Why are the +D, -D not available within ADX in the new telechart 2000 ver 11?   How would one be able to set alerts when ADX crosses above or below +D or -D?

Dave,
StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, July 13, 2011 4:08:26 PM

Administration

QUOTE (dtwchu)
Why are the +D, -D not available within ADX in the new telechart 2000 ver 11?   How would one be able to set alerts when ADX crosses above or below +D or -D?

Dave,

Currently you can't alert or scan for when ADX crosses either DI line.  But from what I know about the indicator, there isn't anything signifcant about ADX crossing a DI line.
babar2
Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 4:47:01 PM
Hello. 

How do I get the reading of the ADX line plotted on the chart? ... In a value (number), as we see the reading of the value of the stock or in the extra window where we see all different values of the MA, volume and %move.

You say in the your very informative video that; Readings above 40 is indicating a strong trend, below 20 indicates a weak trend, but I need to see the actual number of the reading of the ADX.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Monica
Bruce_L
Posted : Friday, August 26, 2011 4:56:05 PM

Worden Trainer

Selecting the period key (.) on the keyboard twice will activate the Pointer Mode Data Box. This will display all of the values of all of the indicators on the chart in TC2000 version 12.

In TeleChart 2007, only the values of the indicators in the top pane are displayed. You could add ADX to the top pane and uncheck Plot DI Lines and Visible to be able to see the values without having the ADX indicator clutter up the top pane.

Selecting the period key a third time will disable Pointer Mode.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
falmeshari
Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 4:58:13 AM
hi bruce ... is it possible for TC2000 V 12 to scan the following ADX condition :
-ADX Line (14) crossover 30 for 60 minutes chart and DI+ higher than DI-( once the crossover took place ) during the last 35 days for all the US stocks .

Thanks in advance .

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 8:02:05 AM

Worden Trainer

No, I cannot think of a way to search for this which would be short enough to be practical. We could check for a crossover, but not for +DI to be higher than -DI for 35 days.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
falmeshari
Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:15:40 AM
ok how about ADX Line (14) crossover 30 for 60 minutes chart during the last 35 days for all the US stocks . thanks again .
Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2011 9:58:54 AM

Worden Trainer

We can check for a crossover during the most recent bar in TC2000 version 12 by just clicking on the Directional Movement Indicator and selecting Create Condition.

Indicators, Sorting & Scanning

But beyond crossovers for the current bar, we need to create a formula. On a 30-Minute Chart, to check for crossovers for each bar over the most recent 35 days would take checking 455 individual bars for crossovers. That isn't going to happen.

We could check for +DI to be in one orientation currently and a different orientation 455-Bars Ago. This would ensure there was at least one crossover during the period, but it could certainly miss crossovers as an even number of crossovers would always end up returning the +DI and -DI to the same relative orientation.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles