Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: bcochrane
About
User Name: bcochrane
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 359
[0.12% of all post / 0.13 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Finding Stocks in Upward Channel
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2018 7:54:31 PM

There have been earlier posts about finding stocks in an upward channel, but none were (to me) satisfactory. Perhaps because they dealt with the issues of how to define a channel in a PCF (you can't) and what is one's definition of a channel. For example, I have looked atother sites (forgive me, Bruce) and looked at price which was identified as in a Channel and reacted - you have to be kidding!

I have stumbled onto a method which appears to me to be satisfactory, and I thought I would share it with the two or three who might be interested. I call it Steady Eddies, getting away from the channel conundrum. It is only possible (I think) in V17 or later, because it depends on CountTrue.

If a stock is moving up steadily, then a faster MA will consistently be above a slower MA. So the main filter or search criteria is

CountTrue(XAvgC8>XAvgC21,135)

This returns the number of days where the EMA 8 > EMA 21 over the past 6 months. At the time of writing, there are (or were) 13 stocks where this relationship was true 130 or more days (within R3000).[Time of writing is Feb 23, 2018.] Results will vary over time, of course. Seven stocks met this criteria 134 or 135 days of the period. You will need to eyeball the results of your scan to determine if the results are satisfactory to you.

Some comments on parameters.

The 8 and 21 periods ema's were used because they come from John Carter's Propulsion strategy. You might want to experiment with different periods. There is nothing magic about the periods I chose.

Why six months? I have observed Steady Eddie periods up to 18 months, but if I moved the limit out thatĀ  far I might be cutting 12 months of profit off my opportunities (Hope that makes sense to you - I don't want to enter at the end of the trending period.)

Daily time period - suits my profile as a trader End of Day (EOD). I do have a column with the PCF CountTrue(XAvgC3>XAvgC8, 30) in a weekly time frame. THe results between the two time periods seem to correlate pretty well, and I didn't see any advantagein using the weekly time frame (but I could be wrong). Shorter time periods may be suitable to day traders and others.

How might one trade this?

Watchlist: I use a watchlist I maintain manually based on IBD and CANSLIM. Basiccaly the IBD 50 , with others thown in as I see them. eg Stock Grade A or A+, Comp Rating > 90.Basically trying to find stocks with strong fundamentals. But one could use any stock list (I think). Small cap (R3000 or SP600) might be a useful list. Up to you.

Ranking Stocks:If Stock A and Stock B both retrun a Steady Eddie score over 130 across 6 months, which one would I chose?

1. Move magnitude over the six months (100 * ((MaxC- MinC125) /MinC125)) or
  2. Slope Linear Regression 30 or
  3. Slope EMA 20 or
  4. any other technique you likeĀ 

Buy and Sell signals: What ever you like

If any one wants to see what is returned by the PCF without setting it up., the best six (Steady Eddie Score = 135) at time of writing are: MTCH, IBKR, BA, EL, HRS, XYL. SteadyEddie Score = 100 include GLYC, CONN, GRUB, BGC, HRI, LGIH amongst others

Hope this helps you. Any questions, post and I will attempt to answer

Topic: % short
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2018 8:46:14 AM

It appears it is no longer available

http://forums.worden.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=67824

Topic: RSI7 cross up
Posted: Saturday, February 17, 2018 1:26:48 PM

If using Version 17 or 18, you could try

XUp(RSI7,50)

Topic: Elder Impulse
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 1:44:51 PM

Thank you both.

Ingenious, Bruce!

Topic: Elder Impulse
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 11:43:55 AM

Could I trouble you for a copy?

Thanks

Bill Cochrane

Topic: What's New?
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:56:09 AM

And I forgot to mention

Ability to link a TC2000 stock symbol to external websites (Google, Yahoo etc). Look under Notes & News tab. The external website web page changes automatically whenever you change the active TC20000 symbol

Topic: What's New?
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:52:28 AM

Three enhancements which I would mention:

1. Ability to work with options as well as stocks
  2. Some very nice enhancements to the PCF language (CountTrue, TrueInRow etc) which both shorten PCF's and allow doing PCFs which weren't possible before, Best intro is http://forums.worden.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=66280
  3. Interface to their brokerage firm. I'd love to be able to use it, but not for everyone. With it came paper trading. Useful for tracking position P&L and creating additional Alerts.

and with the course of time, additional PCFs developed by Bruce. Example the TTM Squeeze is now available in TC2000. Of interest only if you want to use it, of course. Have to dig around the Forums to find these of course.

Cheers

Topic: Cryptocurrency
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2018 1:50:13 PM

FWIW: There ETFs related to Cryptocurrency. It is my understanding that the SEC has, for the moment, blocked ETF's directly related to the currencies themselves.

"The Reality Shares Nasdaq NexGen Economy (BLCN) and Amplify Transformational Data Sharing (BLOK) ETFs both launched this week. ETFs can be bought and sold like stocks, and these two each own shares of the increasing number of companies that use blockchain."

"Blockchain is a revolutionary technology that has the potential to redefine enterprises, ecosystems and economies, transforming the way data is shared. BLOK provides access to an actively-managed basket of global companies at the forefront of blockchain-based technology. This responsive portfolio management approach allows the ETF to adjust to the daily pace of blockchain-related investment opportunities and risks."

"BLCN “invests in the companies that are developing this truly innovative and transformational blockchain technology,” according to Reality Shares. “The blockchain ecosystem potentially presents one of the most profound, long-term investment opportunities in the market today. Furthermore, blockchain is still in its infancy, and we are confident it will have far-reaching, disruptive effects in nearly every industry.”

Topic: Volume bars overshadow price
Posted: Saturday, February 10, 2018 7:22:36 PM

I'm not sure if I understand correctly what you are looking for, but Volume can be displayed in the same Pane as Price . Click on name of stock you are looking at in the top left corner of the chart and add Volume as any other Indicator. Then you can use Scaling and Plot Opacity to control how it displays. To be precise about where to click on stock symbol, it is the smaller Symbol in the chart, under the larger Symbol where chart time frames etc are displayed. Image may not display properly below, but you should be able to see what I mean

Hope this helps

Topic: My Notes: Multiple Stocks
Posted: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:51:50 AM

It is my observation that I can have a Note "refer" to two stocks by adding a Second symbol after the first (preceded by $ Symbol). Doesn't seem to work for a third symbol, though. Is my observation correct?

I find this useful when trading leverage ETFs. For example,a note can be useful to see for both EEM and EDC.

Is this an intentional design feature of TC2000, or have I stumbled onto an anomoly? Are there any limitations? For example, can a Note have a reference to both a stock and an Industry Index?

If this is a design feature, it would be useful to extend to more than two symbols.For example, I would use it with a base ETF (Say SPY), its inverse etf, and the leveraged ETFs.

Thanks