Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Volume surge w/pos price Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
chrischapman
Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:24:34 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Dear trainer:

Please help me with a formula to search for 5day volume surge with the price up (5 day chart green volume bar only).

Thanks in advance...Chris

StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 7:46:07 PM

Administration

Are you looking for price up on a 5-day (weekly in version 7) time frame and volume surging?  Surging by how much?  Twice average volume?

C > C 5 and AVGV5 / AVGV100 > 2

This would give you price up on the 5-day bar and the average volume over those 5 days twice the 100 day average volume. 

If that's not what you're looking for let me know and we can try something else.

chrischapman
Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 9:51:31 PM
Gold Customer Gold Customer

Hello: the volume surge-5 day formula is AVGV5/AVGV200*100 .  this will rank the surges in order of magnitude with the biggest surges ranked first. 

The problem is that it will rank on top the 5day (weekly) surges with positive and negative price change.

I'm trying to sort for 5day (weekly) volume surge but only the surge that has positive price change.

So, I'm looking for stock with prices moving up on heavy weekly volume.

Thanks in advance

StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:21:50 PM

Administration

You can't filter with a sort in version 7.  I think you need to create an EasyScan with a condition of C > C5 to filter out stocks that are down over the 5-day period and then sort by Volume Surge.

StockGuy
Posted : Wednesday, August 22, 2012 10:26:21 PM

Administration

That's another nice thing about version 12, you can sort by values and by conditions, so you can sort by Volume Surge, then by Price moving up Weekly and you'll have the strongest postive surges at the top of the list.