Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

StockFinder 5.0 RC build 3 Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Kuf
Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:06:16 PM

Administration

======= StockFinder 5.0 build 3 3/24/2010 ========
- Fixed: True Marker Hash marks will now stack correctly
- Fixed: True Maker Hash legends will now paint properly
- Fixed: True Marker Hash marks will now use the correct amount of space in the pane.
- Fixed: Saved Market indicators will now correctly import from your library into RealCode.
- Fixed: Filter condition based on Rank in WatchList will now work correctly. Both drag n drop and from add condition link.
- Fixed: New Conditions will always be added to the right of existing.
- Fixed: Move left/right on conditions will now correctly re-order the conditions on the bubble bar
- Fixed: Move left/Right on conditions will now correctly update the true marker paint order

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
Chief Software Engineer - Worden Brothers Inc.
Try/Catch - My RealCode Blog
jas0501
Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:26:40 AM

Permitting condition order arrangement is a nice feature. Thanks.

thnkbigr
Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 2:35:54 AM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

Kuf,

After we run Market Indicators (Custom Indexes) is it possible to save the results so the next time we run the CI it only needs to calculate the data from the last update rather than all the way back again.

For example if you create a New High-New Low  CI on NYSE stocks for the last 3 years can we save the values of this indicator so the next time we need to run it, it doesn't have to calculate it all over again for the last 3 years it only needs to calculate since last save.

progster
Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:54:10 AM
The current answer is "No", but the long-term answer is "it would be possible to do" (if Worden chooses to).

I've been meaning to make a topic about the desirability of adding custom symbols to the database (or to a 2nd database that sits beside the first one).  However, the time did not seem ripe yet.

The very best stuff (IMO) that SF can generate is also the most "expensive" to calculate, and when you want to see alot of that best stuff, with history, everyday, you wind up pushing the program and your machine into a tar pit of repeated calculation.

Market indicators in particular are excellent candidates to be saved in a custom symbol database and generally be updated only "at the end" of their series.  Full recalc would be done only when specified.

I use custom symbol generation and  database capabilities in other software and I testify to their extreme value.

Clearly this would be "up the road" as an enhancement to SF, but it would be a worthy one, and I hope it is part of the long-term plan.
Kuf
Posted : Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:24:50 PM

Administration

What you are describing is a cache system. We would like to get one in place, especially for the market indicators.

Caching is a tricky problem, especially when deciding to expire the cache.  There are also more internal issues to deal with (how to determine the difference between cache A that is of a moving average simple and Cache B which uses exponental).

A custom database for your own symbols and data is something we have flirted with. I think when we get 5 out the door and start looking at 5.1 we'll be in better shape to answer some of these questions.

Ken Gilb (Kuf)
Flash99
Posted : Friday, March 26, 2010 3:05:44 PM
Platinum Customer Platinum Customer

QUOTE (thnkbigr)

After we run Market Indicators (Custom Indexes) is it possible to save the results so the next time we run the CI it only needs to calculate the data from the last update rather than all the way back again.
For example if you create a New High-New Low  CI on NYSE stocks for the last 3 years can we save the values of this indicator so the next time we need to run it, it doesn't have to calculate it all over again for the last 3 years it only needs to calculate since last save.

Actually you can do this by using the new shared object.
You can retrieve whatever data you want and store it in the cache as a collection of objects. Once there you can use it as you see fit.
There is a catch though, you cannot save this data because the IO is still closed (I keep bugging Kuf to open it), and as soon as you close SF5 your data is gone.

QUOTE (Kuf)

What you are describing is a cache system. We would like to get one in place, especially for the market indicators.

Kuf,
We already have a cache system (shared object), and it works like a charm. What we need is IO open so that we could save the data. We already have the fileReader, so no problem loading.
Kuf
Posted : Monday, March 29, 2010 2:23:15 PM

Administration

QUOTE (Flash99)

Kuf,
We already have a cache system (shared object), and it works like a charm. What we need is IO open so that we could save the data. We already have the fileReader, so no problem loading.

The shared object system only works for RealCode and you have no way of knowing if your input parameters have changed since the cache was saved.  It's a basic solution at best and one that you have to manage on your own.

Ken Gilb (Kuf)