Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

easy scan criteria by date Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
syplan
Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2005 1:44:41 PM
How can I add dates to my easy scan criteria. Specifically, I am looking for stocks that have traded above their 25-day moving average for the last 3 months
Tanstaafl
Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2005 2:14:39 PM
You need to write a PCF for this.

I am presuming you want only stocks that have had a Closing price that has been continuously above the 25-day Simple MA of Close. This PCF will tell you how many days out of the last 25 that the condition was true (which is a little more useful than just a plain old true/false for the whole set). If you get a result of 25, it's in full compliance

(C > AvgC25)*-1 -
(C1 > AvgC25.1) -
(C2 > AvgC25.2) -
... (you fill in the middle part) ...
(C23 > AvgC25.23) -
(C24 > AvgC25.24)

If you prefer just a true/false, it would be:

(C > AvgC25) and
(C1 > AvgC25.1) and
(C2 > AvgC25.2) and
... (you fill in the middle part) ...
(C23 > AvgC25.23) and
(C24 > AvgC25.24)

Jim Dean

syplan
Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2005 7:04:37 PM
thank you for the reply
Tanstaafl
Posted : Thursday, March 10, 2005 10:10:39 PM
You're welcome.

Actually, upon re-reading your request, I realized that my answer was not correct. You asked for a period of three months, not 25 days.

You need to carry the formulae out a lot further ... the final term would be:
(C62 > AvgC25.62)

This formula, besides being pretty long to type, will take a relatively long time to calculate due to all the AvgC25's in it.

Jim Dean

syplan
Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:07:36 PM
thanks again. I don't suppose there is any shorter way to get the same information? It appears that anything that you want to look at for a set time period has to have a long formula like this one.
Tanstaafl
Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:57:19 PM
Well ... if you are willing to use a Custom indicator and the Sortby function, rather than a PCF, it's pretty easy.
Here's how:

Create a Custom Percent True indicator with the boolean formula:

C > AvgC25

Now fill in the number of days in the window you want to check as the "smoothing" input (a lousy name for that field, IMHO) ... this is really just a COUNT of the true hits during that period, divided by the total bars in that period. So, for your case, you would fill in a "63" since you want 3 months of 21 trading days/month.

Final step: use SortBy Actual Value on that plot, for whatever watchlist you are interested in. All symbols that have 100% in the sort column will be ones for which the boolean condition was true during the entire period.

This is a REALLY COOL feature ... but unfortunately TC does not provide a way to "feed" the results into an EasyScan automatically. You will have to set up your Scan to do all the other filters, then do the final step manually and flag the cases that fit.

I hope this helps.

Jim Dean

Tanstaafl
Posted : Saturday, March 19, 2005 5:58:47 PM
P.S. you need to specify "Simple" as the smoothing method. I'm not sure what Exponential actually calculates ... but whatever it is, it seems pretty worthless to me. They really do need to clean up the Edit template for this nifty custom indicator.

eladstav
Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:25:49 AM
Hello,
Is there a way for me to sort by a past value? for example "yesterdays" percent held by institutions. If not is there any way to compare current percent held verus past point in time? thanks
Tanstaafl
Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:35:05 AM
You cannot build scans or pcf's for any fundamental criterion for anything other than the most recently downloaded value. WOrden Studio maps them back for four years ... but no programmable scans or PCF's are available in Studio.

SURE WOULD BE NICE if TC itself could utilize that historical fundamental data!

eladstav
Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2005 10:42:37 AM
Had to try. On a possibly unrelated to TC issue. Are the percntiles of institutional holdings based on daily actual data or reflect weekly/monthly etc reports provided by institutions for past transactions. I do not know what their obligation is??? Thanks again.
Tanstaafl
Posted : Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:14:25 AM
I dunno ... hopefully a W staffer will dig out this info. I've asked this kind of Q before, and usually cannot get details. W buys their data (from Core, I think) ... so really the Q needs to go to them in many cases.

FWIW, if someone DOES check out the answer to that Q, please ALSO check out the specifics re the definition and calculation of "Latest Float" as it applies to the TC feed. I know, in general, what Float is ... I would like to know what you are basing it on, and (especially) how often it is being updated.

Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:23:46 PM

Worden Trainer

The Institutional reports are based on the 13F and N30D forms.

Latest float calculated as latest shares outstanding minus shares held by insiders.

Insider information is received around the same time as the institutional information.

Latest shares outstanding derives from 10-Q and 10-K forms.

I think this covers everything....

- Craig
Here to Help!
Tanstaafl
Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:43:54 PM
Does Float include treasury shares, or just ones that are currently avail to the public exchanges?

How frequently are these values updated (daily, weekly, monthly?)

How much delay is there, typically, between the relevant info becoming public, and the time it hits the W database for us (< day, < 2days, < week, < month)

Thanks for pursuing this.

Jim Dean

Craig_S
Posted : Wednesday, March 23, 2005 3:47:43 PM

Worden Trainer

Institutional holdings are reported to our vendor on or around the 10th of each month for the previous month's holdings.

I will look into the rest of the info.

- Craig
Here to Help!
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, March 25, 2005 10:32:46 AM

Worden Trainer

Float is based on the quarterly and annual statements reported by company for outstanding shares and the form mentioned for insider shares. (I do not know if these statements include treasury shares or not but rather doubt it.)

This information is updated monthly.

- Craig
Here to Help!
Tanstaafl
Posted : Friday, March 25, 2005 2:03:56 PM
Thanks, Craig