Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: Still_Learning
About
User Name: Still_Learning
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 49
[0.02% of all post / 0.01 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Scan for performance 3 Qtrs ago
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 1:06:57 PM
Trying to develop a scan that will show me stocks that were performing well 3Qtrs ago and are ready to perform well in the current Qtr.

If  the Industries of the Ecomomy are favored at least once in a 12 month peroid and the ecomony revolves in a almost circular (ellipictical) pattern.

Then the past stock performane could be measured by (RSI) + institutional interest and the Sales of a company would determine the heigth of the price swing (fuel for move) with all this said,  we could predict the future of a stock price. Please help me to develop this scan, I'm still learning to trade and any pointers would help.
Topic: Help with price acion scan
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:34:11 PM
Craig-

Again, I've made this scan much more difficult than it needs to be if I just take your advice and write (4) or (5) PCFs (i.e. last-QTR, 2mos-ago, 1mos-ago, current-mos and current week)and select the change per month the scan would be much more versitile and dynamic rather than changing my trading strategy to fit the scan I could change the scan to fit the strategy. Thanks for helping me to see my errs.

Still_Learning
Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 2005 11:36:28 AM
Craig
Just got back to it...
If I want to compare the current price action to the action 63 trading days ago I thinK I write:
((C63-C)/C*100)>=105 IS THIS RIGHT ?
Thanks for all your help

Still_Learning
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 12:12:12 PM
Craig-

from the formula I could write:
((c-c63)/c63*100)>=105 if I want to see only stocks that have changed 105% or greater in 3mos (QTR)

Thanks Craig, more food for the program.
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:54:25 AM
Craig,

That sounds correct...
second question: Is there a way to limit the scan results to stocks that have changed a specified percent from last QTR ?

Still_Learning
Posted: Monday, November 14, 2005 11:37:18 AM
Hi Guys

In my last project I wrote a momentum scan that was based on a stock's price action three months ago but I now need to find stocks that were out-of-favor (negative price action)3mos ago(63days)and are now in favor (ie. negative price action last QTR has changed at least 105% (negative to posive) and is now positive.) The help that Doug provided in the last scan was very appreciated and I was hoping thatI would get some more help this time the last scan revealed some interesting candidates but required extensive research. I am able to monitor the stock's past performance using my tab #3 (modified to show price action by month) and too many negative price action stocks (current week) are showing up and I want a way to stop this. Any help on this scan would be appreciated.

Still_Learning
Topic: Momentum (short-term) scan
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:29:37 PM
Doug the PCF works great, all the stocks are not possible winners but a lot of the stocks can be used for further analysis, this is a good tool to identify stocks that were in bases but now have broken-out and are climbing to new highs.
Again, thanks for all your help ...

Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:31:56 PM
Thanks Doug, again great response
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:24:22 PM
Sorry Doug, I got my < and > mixed it should read:
3mos ago (63 days) the 5 day MA was below the 21 but now in the current week the 5 day is above the 21. I'm trying to find stocks where the price performance was lower 3 mos ago but now it is higher then later possibly add higher volume in the curren month (AVGV21>AVGV21.63)-?

I'm still learning the PCF language and still have a lot to learn

Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:45:29 PM
Thanks for getting back but the volume and profit were added to the Easy Scan in addition to the PCF.
I am only concerned with the price performance at this time and getting the PCF to work I have been using Tab#3 to look at the past price performance and the performance has not adhered to the PCF for further clarification the Easy scan I use is outlined:

<All stocks>
<optionable>
<price range = $6-29>
<net profit = 5-max %>
<min. avg. volume = 250-800,000>
<PCF>

My trading style is short-term (3-21 days) and momentum is important, momentum identifies the stocks and MA crossovers plus other indicators signal the buy times.

Still Learning...