Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Momentum (short-term) scan Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Still_Learning
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 12:59:51 PM
Doug H,
I watched you video regarding the finding the sectors that have been increasing in value over the past months and thought that I could improve upon it by adding price volume and net profit constraints to find stock that were unfavored last QTR (3 mos ago) but now are favored and trading at higher prices
the wat that I attempted to locate these stocks by appling the following formula:
(AVGC21.63/AVGC5.63)*100 < 99 AND (AVGC21/AVGC5)*100 > 101

This is my latest project and need some help with it, if you see some glaring errors or if you have any other ideas I'd welcome the help.

Still Learning...
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:29:40 PM

Worden Trainer

I don't see any reference to volume in your PCF. And not sure how you're looking for net profit, unless you're sorting the final list by Net Profit Margin.

The strategy demonstrated in the video simply attempts to identify sectors that ranked in the bottom quartile 3 quarters ago, and moved up one quartile at a time for each subsequent quarter. The PCF's I used were for price performance only. You could add a volume component to them if you wish.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Still_Learning
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 1:45:29 PM
Thanks for getting back but the volume and profit were added to the Easy Scan in addition to the PCF.
I am only concerned with the price performance at this time and getting the PCF to work I have been using Tab#3 to look at the past price performance and the performance has not adhered to the PCF for further clarification the Easy scan I use is outlined:

<All stocks>
<optionable>
<price range = $6-29>
<net profit = 5-max %>
<min. avg. volume = 250-800,000>
<PCF>

My trading style is short-term (3-21 days) and momentum is important, momentum identifies the stocks and MA crossovers plus other indicators signal the buy times.

Still Learning...
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:08:37 PM

Worden Trainer

I misunderstood. I thought you were using the strategy in the video, and you are not. You're using EasyScan instead, with a PCF of your own design.

First comment on your PCF: Instead of using 99 and 101, I would just use 100 in both instances.

Next PCF Comment: Your PCF says that the 5 day MA was above the 12 day MA 62 days ago, but now the 5 day MA is below the 21 day MA. Is that what you wanted?

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Still_Learning
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:24:22 PM
Sorry Doug, I got my < and > mixed it should read:
3mos ago (63 days) the 5 day MA was below the 21 but now in the current week the 5 day is above the 21. I'm trying to find stocks where the price performance was lower 3 mos ago but now it is higher then later possibly add higher volume in the curren month (AVGV21>AVGV21.63)-?

I'm still learning the PCF language and still have a lot to learn

Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:26:53 PM

Worden Trainer

I figured that's what you wanted, but I didn't want to put words in your mouth. If you swap the greater than and less than, you'll be good to go.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Still_Learning
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 2:31:56 PM
Thanks Doug, again great response
Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:01:05 PM

Worden Trainer

My pleasure!

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Still_Learning
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:29:37 PM
Doug the PCF works great, all the stocks are not possible winners but a lot of the stocks can be used for further analysis, this is a good tool to identify stocks that were in bases but now have broken-out and are climbing to new highs.
Again, thanks for all your help ...

Doug_H
Posted : Wednesday, October 12, 2005 3:34:20 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome. That's what I love about TeleChart...it narrows the field, and then I get to make the final call about what looks right to me and what doesn't!

- Doug
Teaching Online!