Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: jtrimmel
About
User Name: jtrimmel
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 3
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Parabolic SAR - what time frame best used for day trading
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 4:06:25 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

I cannot tell you what indicators you should use (or which are "best") or what settings to use for the indicators you have chosen to use for any particular purpose (or in general for that matter). Whether or not you agree with the assessment, this falls under the category of investment or setting advice and I cannot provide either one.

Our role is to provide information about our software, not about investing.

We can explain how an indicator is calculated even if we can't tell you which indicator or settings to use. We can explain how to add an indicator with your settings to the chart and create conditions, EasyScans, WatchList Columns and sorts based on that indicator and its settings. We can even help you create your own custom indicators, conditions, EasyScans, WatchList Columns and sorts based on your unambiguous definitions (but we really can't help you come up with those definitions).

That differing time frames or settings return different results for the same indicator is not surprising. A stock can be down over the course of day and still up over the course of a week or a month for example.

As a general rule, shorter time frames and periods are more sensitive than longer time frames and periods and will provide earlier signals. This sensitivity usually comes with a price however. A more sensitive indicator is more likely to give false signals because there isn't enough data being used to confirm those signals. Where you want to make these tradeoffs is a very personal matter.

Thank you Bruce the "general rule" comment was helpful. That's the kind of information I was looking for.

Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 2:01:10 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)
Bruce thank you for passing my posting on. Hopefully others will comment.  Today with all the technical difficulties and this tool not working as I expected today has not been profitable.

First let me say I was not looking for investment advice. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

I just wanted to understand how the tool works.  I thought  a trainers role was to help clients understand the purpose of the analysis tool,  the options we have with the various settings,  and how to intrepret the information it displays for us.  Particularly I wanted to understand why it might display so dramatically different from setting to setting as it did for me today.

I have watched training videos where another trainer has talked about groups of analysis tools that compliment each other so I didn't think it was inappropriate to ask.

The trainers can't give setting, interpretation or investment advice. I will move this topic to the Stock and Market Talk forum so other traders will be more likely to see it and comment.

Bruce I'm not asking for investment advice. I'm trying to understand how this particular tool best works.

What is the role of trainer if you can't comment on the sentivity of settings we have to choose from.  Are you able to comment on that and explain why the information is changing so much from one setting to another.  For example 1 min say its in an up trend 5 min says its in a down trend.

Posted: Monday, December 3, 2012 1:30:12 PM

I started using the Parabolic Sar chart today for my day trading activities  (RIMM stock). This stock is in upward trend but the tool is giving me late entry points and late exit points causing me to either break even or in one case lose money.  It's also losing great opportunities not picking up chances to change the indicators directions earlier. 

1. Why is this? For example I'm paying too much for the stock and I'm also not getting the most for it when I'm told to exit.  It's keeping me in too long. I've reviewed previous data and this problem seems to be a trend not only for RIMM but for other stocks and regardelss of the timeframes.

My second question is I've played around with the various time frames 1 min 5 min and 10 min.  This didn't help.

2. What is the best time frame I should use to improve my entry points for day trading and swing trading?

3. What other analysis tools should I also have up to confirm the information being displayed?

Thanks Jennifer