Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: IBJAMIN
About
User Name: IBJAMIN
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 11
[0.00% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Finding the minimum value of a MACD Histogram bar
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 4:01:38 PM

I would like to find the minimum value of the MACD Histogram over the last 10 days and perform an operation on it.

Obviously I can get the MACD histogram bar values, either using the MACD indicator or calculating it directly in a custom PCF. But how can I determine what the minimum value is for the time period involved?

Unlike other indicators that have their own PCF code “operators” (BOP, STOC, TSV) I am not aware of a MACD operator that I could hook up with the MIN operator [for instance,

Min(MACD12.26.9,10).]

Perhaps it exists and I just haven’t found it?

I looked into Change Data Source, but I don’t see any “minimum” indicator (say, for Price [c]) which I could then “redirect” and then assign to another indicator.

Is there a reserved-name for a “generic” variable that I can use in a PCF (say, “DataSourceRangeVariable”) that I could use as the basis for my mathematical operation, which then would take on the value of the selected Data Source variable? So, I could write PCFs that calculate:

DataSourceRangeVariable * 10,

Or

DataSourceRangeVariable.5 / c

Or

Avg(DataSourceRangeVariable.2,12) – Avg(DataSourceRangeVariable.2,26)

…and then change the data source to MACD Histogram ##.##.## (I think you can see the direction I am heading in…)

Other than creating a mile-long formula to check bar 0 with bars 1-9, bar 1 with bar 0 and bars 2-9, bar 2 with bars 0-1 and bars 3-9 is there any way to do this?

Topic: Understanding the MACD Histogram Display
Posted: Thursday, January 1, 2015 1:12:24 PM

Thanks. That worked.

Topic: Understanding the MACD Histogram Display
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:16:30 PM

I’m trying to understand the display of MACD Histogram in TC2000. I understand how the MACD is created (commonly referred to as “Line 1”) and the Moving Average (commonly referred to as “Line 2”). But the MACD Histogram has me stumped.

In TC2000 Help it says, “The histogram is the difference between the two MACD lines.” And that is also the definition of the histogram I have found in every other reference I’ve consulted. However, when I look at an actual chart display in TC2000, I can’t seem to get the math right.

Example:

Stock: VZ (Verizon Communications)

Dates: 2/25/2013 thru 2/28/2013

The numbers (and the graph) show:

2/25/13         2/26/13          2/27/13           2/28/13

MACD H 12 26 9         -5.00            -3.96              -3.12               -2.46

MACD 12 26                 0.67             0.73               0.78                0.83

EAvg9                           0.63             0.65               0.68                0.71

Key: MACD H 12 26 9         Chart histogram plotted value

MACD 12 26                        Chart “Line 1” plotted value

Exp Moving Avg 9                Chart “Line 2” plotted value

By definition (as I understand it from the Help) the histogram plotted value is supposed to be the difference between Line 1 and Line 2…but can anyone tell me how the values listed above relate to each other under that formula? How do you combine 0.67 and 0.63 to get -5.00? Or 0.73 and 0.65 to get -3.96? 0.78 and 0.68 to get -3.12? 0.83 and 0.71 to get -2.46? I’m confused.

Topic: Determining a formula used in a watchlist custom column
Posted: Friday, October 31, 2014 7:14:43 PM

If I have a custom column in a watchlist, how can I determine what formula it is using? I can “edit” the column – i.e., change its attributes – but don’t see any way to determine what the column is actually measuring.

[Yes, I know it’s a custom column so I wrote it so I SHOULD KNOW what it in it…but I didn’t use the same name for the column heading and the My Conditions name (to save space on the watchlist) and now I’m not sure what is in it.]

EZ Scans have the option “View conditions on chart” which allow you to see the formulas and verify your results. I don’t see anything similar on the watchlist. What am I missing?

Topic: Yellow dashes on chart...?
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 6:48:03 PM

All of a sudden I have a set of yellow dashes forming a horizontal line and a vertical line on my chart (candlestick price chart). The horizontal line is [apparently] fixed on the x-axis (date axis), and the vertical one is [apparently] fixed on the current date. I've never seen them before, I don't know where they came from, and, more importantly...I don't know HOW TO GET RID OF THEM? Any help appreciated.

Topic: Saving column data when copying between watchlists
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 5:03:56 PM

Thanks, Bruce. Perhaps there is another way...is there any way to "combine" or "merge" data? If I have a watchlist of "currently owned" stocks (with associated specific information -- # shares, break-even price, purchase date, etc.)  can I "merge" the information for specific stocks to another already-existing watchlist...so, when I sell a stock I transfer all of it's data from the "currently owned" watchlist to a "sold" watchlist (and retain it's historical data for my reference)? I have not seen any way to do this. The system always seems to want to reset the data to the defaults...am I the only one who finds this to be a problem?

Topic: Saving column data when copying between watchlists
Posted: Saturday, April 5, 2014 1:57:27 PM

When I copy symbols from one watchlist to another watchlist, I "lose" the data. I.e., #shares is always “reset” to 100, price is reset to the current price [or most recent close], and date is reset to "today".

This occurs even if I use the same column set with columns named exactly the same in the copy-from and copy-to watchlist.

I have a watchlist with 5 columns. The headings are: Symbol, GainLoss, Price, B/E Price, and Shares. This shows the Stock, current total Gain/Loss (based on the difference between the current Price [per share] and my Break Even Price [per share: purchase price + transaction costs], and number of Shares. If I save these columns (to My Columns), create another watchlist and assign the same columns to it (using Load Columns), then copy the data from the old watchlist to the new watchlist, the only column that matches between the two is the Symbol column...all other data is lost (“reset”).

How can I save column data when transferring symbols between watchlists?

TIA!

Topic: Details of an individual stock trading activity on a given day...?
Posted: Friday, December 6, 2013 9:02:51 PM

Is there a way to find out the make-up of any one day's trading activity for a specific stock (specifically: individual trade quantities)? I.e., knowing that the total volume for Stock A was 1.234 million shares, can I find out that it actually was made up of: 

• 40 trades @ 100 shares/trade, and
  • 30 trades @ 1,000 shares/trade, and
  • 20 trades @ 10,000 shares/trade, and
  • 10 trades @ 100,000 shares/trade?

Any input appreciated! Thx!

Topic: Is a changed PCF updated in an existing EZ Scan?
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2013 5:12:19 PM

If I change a personal PCF (My Conditions (Formulas)) that is already included in an EZ Scan, does the existing EZ Scan get updated with the changed formula? I have changed a personal PCF and then re-run an EZ Scan that contains the condition…and didn’t get the results I expected. I checked the EZ Scan condition list and it showed the condition still included in the criteria. I deleted the condition from the condition list, re-added it, then ran the EZ Scan again…and got different results (that matched what I was expecting the first time.)

Topic: Using a one custom PCF in another custom PCF...?
Posted: Monday, August 19, 2013 5:57:57 PM

Thanks, Bruce. I was afraid of that. But perhaps there is another way to accomplish my objective.

What I want to do is calculate and plot an average of a variable when a certain condition is met. For instance, say the average price of a stock when its TSV is greater than 0. (Not the exact thing that I am trying to do, but it demonstrates the principles that I think are involved.) [I’ve been working with PCFs for only a short time, so please be gracious if my logic and skills are not quite up to snuff yet! ;-D]

As far as I can determine, I need to create two custom PCF cumulative indicators that would look something like this:

CountTSVgt0 = Formula( TSV > 0 , H < L , 1 )

and

CumPriceIfTSVgt0 = Formula( TSV > 0 , H < L , (H + L ) / 2 )

Then, a third custom PCF (not cumulative) indicator that would be:

CumPriceIfTSVgt0 / CountTSVgt0

I thought by creating the first two as specific &rdquo;My Indicators&rdquo; I could reference them directly in a third PCF. According to your answer to my initial question, this is not possible -- so I would have to include the calculations of a cumulative PCF in a non-cumulative PCF &ndash; can this be done? Or is there another way to do this? TIA!