Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: Ketracel
About
User Name: Ketracel
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 18
[0.01% of all post / 0.00 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: Mkt internals available?
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2005 2:35:32 AM
Does TC make available mkt internals like TICK TIKI TRIN AD etc.?

Thanks
Topic: 4 Questions
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2005 10:48:46 PM
ok, I'm back with some more Q's:

how do I save watchlist and other screen configurations? you know the look/feel that the video talks about? or is it automatically saved?

on the graph, there is high, low, close, date, etc.
they are clickable, why? what functionality do they possess?

is it possible to remove (NOT minimize) the middle graph?
as I mentioned above I only use RS, price and volume (no TSV, BOP, MACD, etc.) I'd like that bit of screen real estate
===================================
I've been searching the previous discussions on bases and I've found some interesting ways to find them, I'll list them below and I'd like to ask you what the pros and cons are for each and what is the best way to find bases. Also, if there are other methods for finding bases, please advise.

First Method

(MAXH60 - MINL60) / MINL60 * 100
This finds the % of the 12 week range
Then one can filter to say, 20% or less fluctuations (Min to 20) depending on how tight/loose the base you're looking for
My question re this is, shouldn't it be close rather than high? That is to say, (MAXC60-MINC60)/MINC60*100
Also why divide by the MIN why not the MAX?

Second Method

I found this one in a formula called 'consolidating'
(MAXH60-MINL60)/(AVGH60-AVGL60)*100
This one finds stocks that are consolidating IF we filter for the LOW values of that forumla (high values are trending)
Again, shouldn't it be C rather than H? why not?

Third Method

In a tight and long base (relatively speaking) you find that the averages of different lengths approximate each other. Also the average of the same length (say 40 days) approximates itself X days in the past.

So something like:
AVGC40/AVGC40.40
Then we can rank the value (since this formula
compares the 40 day MA today to the 40 day MA 40 days ago)
according to how close this value is to 1
so something like 0.95 < value < 1.05
would theoretically give us a basing formation

What I'm not sure about is how one would go about comparing the different lengths of MAs to each other. For example the 20 day, 50 day and 150 day MAs.
Would this do?
AVGC20/AVGC50
(then ranked according to the same criteria around a value of 1)
But this only allows us to compare 2 at a time, is there a way we could rank 3 or more?

So above are some ways of finding bases that I've found and thought up myself. Are there anymore? have I missed any? which do you guys think is the 'best' (that is under what conditions would it work and not)?

And finally...

This brings me to my last question. The use of OR in PCFs. I know what it is and how to use it in the formula window. But in the window (I'm not sure what its called) where we add criteria to easyscans/PCFs, I don't see a way to put in OR. When you add criteria, I assume that its always AND as an operator not OR.

The reason I ask this is for breakouts. Imagine that you want to filter a 20 day breakout OR a 40 day breakout OR a 100 day breakout OR a 250 day breakout. I think you get my drift. The point is that a breakout could happen out of a 20 day congestion, a 60 day congestion, etc... Using OR would allow you to find the situations as they each occur. I'd just like to be able to know how to enter this in that whatchamakalit window (I already know how to key in the letters O and R in the new PCF window but this doesn't give me the functionality of chopping it up that the other way does)

Thanks very much guys.

Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 10:52:34 PM
Thanks very much Craig. And I hope you take the suggestions/critiques in the spirit offered.

Could you provide, say, a library of ALL videos or helpful threads for the new and uninitiated?

I know that not everything will stick the first time around but I'm going to go through them several times and take notes (my weekend is shot!).

One more thing...the web tools (graph) section doesn't work for me. I'v tried it with Firefox and IE6+ both. I can get one or two graphs by choosing from the pull down menu. But soon enough, I get 'Data Loading...' as a permanent fixture and nothing comes up. I'm trying to get %above 40 day and % above 200 day. Also, I think an 'operating companies only' AD line (for the NYSE) would be much more helpful than a 50 cent AD line (check out the Lowry's article on this).

Also, you should know that I first 'discovered' Worden in 2000! I got this little booklet with all these messages about RS (its on your website as a pdf) and I liked it so much I kept it. Over the years, I've found that the simpler the better and RS is the only indicator that has survived on my screen (no ADX, no MACD, etc.) Just price, volume and RS. Well, to each his own, I guess. Anyway, I dug up this 5+ year old booklet and thought, hmmm, wonder if Worden is still around...

Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2005 10:04:49 PM
I have 4 unrelated questions:

1) I'd like to learn more about RS - especially RS formulas for PCFs that are already out there (I haven't found a video for this and haven't any luck searching for RS as I get a bunch of Wilder's RSI which is not what I mean - I mean relative strength - comparing one to another security)

2) Is it possible to pretend that a PCF applies to yesterday or 5 days ago and see what would have turned up back then? I ask this because I would like to 'backtest' (although it would just be informal and for a few days) a PCF. How would I do this? just put in C.1 and V.1 to denote previous day?

3) I clicked on the industry bar (top of chart) and by mistake clicked on plot industry comparison. How do I remove this?

4) I was experimenting with drawing trendlines. How do I erase them?

I'd also like to make a general observation. It goes without saying that TC is one heck of a powerful piece of software. There is quite a bit it can't do but there is a lot that it can. To a newbie, there is a lot to learn and absorb, even just the GUI, nevermind manipulating, sorting and filtering data through basic formulas. Usually when dealing with something as complex as this, it is a good idea to have a very well organized and thought out tutorial. I, personally, want to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can, about the TC and put it to use.

So far, I've only stumbled upon videos and hints/answers in a halfshod way. Don't get me wrong, the videos are top notch and the answers are clear and very helpful (and quick!). I guess what I'm saying is it would be a great help to your customers if you compiled all the videos/threads about how to learn TC in one centralized place. For example, if you made one large video which went through the manipulation of graphs (and piled everything in there, not just one or two things) and then another long video about PCFs. Some, like me, want to put in one hour or more at a time so that we can hit the ground running. I DONT want to spend the next 4 months learning TC2005 in drips and drabs.

Hey, it might even lighten the load on the trainers who, I can tell, have to answer a lot of the same questions over and over again.

Just a friendly suggestion.
Topic: Training Videos question
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 12:22:19 AM
Doug,

Thank you !! That's what I was doing wrong.

(incidentally I was busy writing that previous post and didn't see your message until now)

So the nomenclatur for volume is 500 as it is expressed in units of 100s. Geez, no one told me that before. How am I supposed to know?!

And you're right, 3 months is 63 not 50. I used the 50 as a spike measurement (atleat 50% above 50 day avg but then I used 63 when it came to the 50,000 volume - its above). A bit of a hodge podge but I'm getting there.

The important thing is that I learned something. Volume is expressed in 100s. So 1 million shares of volume would be 10,000 (without the commas - right? I assume the formula doesn't like commas)

Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 12:17:12 AM
Guys, I think I know what the problem is. I don't really understand why, but I'll try to explain.

I'm using the conditions window rather than the formula (all strung together) and I've changed things by exluding one of the components.

ok, here's what I mean, I made a pcf for each element

one for price above 21 day MA
another for 21 MA > 50 day MA

(etc... you get the point, right?)

ok, then I went to the conditions window and added these pcf's that I had made.

but here's the thing I noticed, once I add the average volume of the past X days is above 50,000 I get a return of ZERO

If I leave this out, I get 146

But this is weird since I know for a fact that many of the securities in the 146 returned have avg volume above 50,000 (I used 42 and 63 days). In fact most of them do!

So far I've given up and sorted them according to volume inside my watchlist window and just scroll down to the 'level' of average volume that I want. I hope that's clear.

This is ok for now but I would really like to know why adding such a condition returns ZERO. Am I doing something wrong?

I write down in this pcf: AVGV42 > 50000 OR AVG63 > 50000

Is this incorrect?!?! Am I missing something?

Thanks for your patience and help guys. Its much appreciated...this is a steep learning curve but I feel that I'm getting the hang of it.
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2005 11:37:48 PM
unless I'm mistaken ALY (as well as other stocks - but lets just use it as an example) meets all of the criteria:

It is above all moving averages (21, 50 and 150)
And each moving average is above the previous
Its average volume is above 50,000
Its volume is 1.5 times or more than its 3 month average
Its price is between 1.50 and 20

Am I mistaken?

Topic: Comparing indicators using Visual Difference sorts
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2005 11:29:59 PM
i'm trying out this video but I'm not getting the 'sort rank' to appear on my watchlist window (you know, symbol, company name, sort rank - as it appears in the video)

I have Symbol | Company Name | Price % change

???
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2005 9:55:41 PM
Doug,

as I mentioned above, my PCF is:

V > (AVGV50 * 1.5) AND C > AVGC21 AND AVGC21 > AVGC50 AND AVGC50 > AVGC150 AND AVGV63 > 50000 AND C > 1.5 AND C < 20

As you can see, it is boolean (it has a lot of <> and ANDs )
Posted: Tuesday, August 9, 2005 5:32:10 PM
ok, so I did an easy scan of all stocks and added the condition of that PCF. Then I got an edit condition window with the following choices: value, market rank, list rank

I'm confused, there is nothing to 'rank' its a formula

why isn't it applying it to the all stock universe and then filtering out what remains?