Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Profile: progster
About
User Name: progster
Groups: Gold User, Member, TeleChart
Interests:
Statistics
Number of Posts: 628
[0.21% of all post / 0.09 posts per day]
Last 10 Posts
Topic: StockFinder Build 39 Now Available
Posted: Friday, November 5, 2010 7:46:14 AM
Paradoxically, the most effective catalyst for a quality improvement  to a product that is not judged as able to stand up to transparency is ...

(drum roll)

Transparency!

One of Worden's major competitors has recently seen the light on this one, putting up a public-facing read/write bug/issue database.

In contrast, the Worden team is so hunkered down that the community is wondering if the lead developer/architect has quit!

Mentioning the numbers of the bugs corrected by a build is a (baby) step in the right direction.
Topic: WatchList Pickers and Mkt Indicators in Independent Charts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 4:31:57 PM

Hi.

I've created a Chart where I have desired Mkt Indicators linked to a WL Picker in the top toolbar.  I can change the WL and the Mkt Indicators recalculate as desired.    Nice!

Now what I want to do is copy this chart into another tab, after which I want to be able to use a new WL Picker in the new chart to calculate Mkt Indicators on a different list.

IOW, I want this whole display to be replicable so I can dock several charts and see the results at once for the different WLs chosen, with a WL Picker available for each chart so that I can easily choose the several WLs for which the Mkt Indicators are desired to be observed.

Can this be done?
Topic: Should RealCode allow Full access to .net namespaces
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:31:40 AM
Why not just have either a configuration setting or a registry setting?  

Default it to the "safest" behavior, and then let those who wish to change it to enable the supposedly more "risky" behaviors.

BTW folks, every time you run an installer for any any program, you are basically making the decision to trust the author of that installer and the chain of custody between that author and your machine.   Running "enabled" RealCode is not fundamentally different in this respect.

Further, for all you know, your data vendor's client-side app is scouring your computer in the background for your identity and financial information and sending it to criminals for later exploitation.  Unless you are educated in and operating with methods and tools far beyond those of the typical user, there is simply no way you would ever know.

We live on a spectrum ranging from reckless disregard, though basic prudence, and on past irrational paranoia.  However, the only true "safety" online is to be offline (with the power disconnected).

One might pose the question:   Would you prefer to have a life, or a truly secure computer?  (Choose only one)
Topic: When will SF5 exit Beta?
Posted: Wednesday, April 21, 2010 1:25:49 PM
Could you please fix the Export issues for the official release?
Topic: StockFinder 5.0 Build 5
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:05:38 AM
QUOTE (Kuf)
Corrupt or missing layouts will now correctly attempt to load the most recent backup
Is this referring to a system-maintained backup, rather than a user-maintained backup?

Where can we find out more about this feature?
Topic: How to not reload last layout at startup?
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:06:59 PM
Hi. 

In SF 5, is there a way to set the program not to load the last loaded layout upon restart?
Topic: chart "save-as" or "copy"
Posted: Saturday, March 27, 2010 6:05:56 PM
Hi. 

In SF 5, is there a way to set the program not to load the last loaded layout upon restart?

Topic: StockFinder 5.0 RC build 3
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2010 6:54:10 AM
The current answer is "No", but the long-term answer is "it would be possible to do" (if Worden chooses to).

I've been meaning to make a topic about the desirability of adding custom symbols to the database (or to a 2nd database that sits beside the first one).  However, the time did not seem ripe yet.

The very best stuff (IMO) that SF can generate is also the most "expensive" to calculate, and when you want to see alot of that best stuff, with history, everyday, you wind up pushing the program and your machine into a tar pit of repeated calculation.

Market indicators in particular are excellent candidates to be saved in a custom symbol database and generally be updated only "at the end" of their series.  Full recalc would be done only when specified.

I use custom symbol generation and  database capabilities in other software and I testify to their extreme value.

Clearly this would be "up the road" as an enhancement to SF, but it would be a worthy one, and I hope it is part of the long-term plan.
Topic: Build 182 Now Availabe
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:25:20 AM
I hope the testing etc. goes well. 

I think this is going to be a great addition to SF because it will encourage capable providers towards beyond-the-basics creative involvement with SF.

Best wishes for your all effort on this! 
Topic: Comment:Build Release quality
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:18:47 AM
... we need to put quality as the single focus. 

Basically, I agree.

Pretty much every session I have with SF ends when/because something goes wrong (crashes, stops working, gets corrupted, etc.).   An SF that continues to behave this way is problematic and minimally useful.  OTOH, with exactly today's capabilities, an SF that was rock-solid would be extremely useful.

Still, once SF achieves a highly reliable build (if it ever does), chances are one of the following builds will introduce a new problem.   At that point, having side-by-side operation becomes very important.