Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

PCF Result numbers. Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
yvberj1
Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2005 5:25:19 PM
When setting up a PCF you have the option of a True/False result or a numerical result. What does the number in the numerical result stand for?

As an example: The following PCF, (C + AVGC50) + (C1 - AVGC50.1). When I do a test I get the following test results for symbol ASGN. In the main window it shows, (11.05 + 9.31) + (11.00 - 9.25). I know what these are, but, below the window it shows Result: 22.12. Could you explain what that stands for?

Thanks,
yvberj1
Doug_H
Posted : Thursday, December 1, 2005 5:55:17 PM

Worden Trainer

It is simply the result of the addition and subtraction you have in your formula.

Did you write the PCF, or did you copy it from somewhere? Do you know what it's supposed to do? The result you got is correct for the formula as written.

C = Today's Close
AVGC50 = Today's value of a 50 day simple moving average
C1 = Yesterday's close
AVGC50.1 = Yesterday's value of a 50 day simple moving average

- Doug
Teaching Online!
yvberj1
Posted : Friday, December 2, 2005 7:35:17 AM
Thanks for the reply Doug. I know what the formula stands for and understand logic and the reasons for the numerical vs True/False results.

What I don't understand is what the result number, 22.12, stands for. Is it a percentage, if so a percentage of what? Is it the distance that the price is from the (in this case) 50 dma? I haven't been able to get consistant answers.

He is another example. Using the same formula for symbol MHP. The result today is 106.72. What does that stand for?

Thanks
yvberj1
Craig_S
Posted : Friday, December 2, 2005 7:46:36 AM

Worden Trainer

As Doug said above, you are seeing the result of the math formula of the PCF.

The formula you gave (the PCF) takes the difference between the close yesterday and the yesterday's 50-day moving averages and adds to it the sum of the close today and the value of the 50-day moving average.

The number returned is the result of the above math formula.

Step by step:

(C + AVGC50) + (C1 - AVGC50.1)
-replacing the values for the stock-
(11.05 + 9.31) + (11.00 - 9.25)
(20.36) + (1.75)= 22.11

22.11 is the difference between the close yesterday and the yesterday's 50-day moving averages and plus the sum of the close today and the value of the 50-day moving average.

Does that help?

- Craig
Here to Help!
yvberj1
Posted : Friday, December 2, 2005 7:54:13 AM
Thanks Craig.

Now I see and better understand the results.

yvberj1