Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

indicator value is different than function value? Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
TC2000user
Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2004 1:32:48 AM
Hi, I have a problem. I want to write a custom indicator that matches a displayed indicator, but for some reason they are not equivalent.

For example, if I display a standard indicator "Stochastic(13,8,5)" in a lower window, and then I display a custom indicator containing one function "STOC13.8.5" in the same window, I expect them to display the same values. But they are different, and I cannot figure out why? Will appreciate your help with this. I cannot proceed with my custom indicator development until this is resolved.

Thanks in advance!
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2004 6:41:45 AM

Worden Trainer

STOC13.8.5 is the STOC 13,8 for five days ago. Drop the .5 and it will match. Add a 5 bar moving average to your CI and it will create the second line that is on the standard indicator.

Let me know if this works.

- Craig
Here to Help!
TC2000user
Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:20:21 AM
Craig, I applied the changes you suggested and my CI is now in alignment with the displayed indicator. The values are different, as the CI tends to rise higher or fall lower than the displayed indicator, but at least they change direction (slope) at the same time. This is a vast improvement. Thanks!
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:39:27 AM

Worden Trainer

You have them both in the same window? Is the stochastic average type simple or exponential?

- Craig
Here to Help!
Craig_S
Posted : Thursday, December 16, 2004 10:42:17 AM

Worden Trainer

I just noticed something that may cause a visual discrepency. When you plot the Stochastics it will force the scale to be 0-100. When you plot the CI it will scale from the highest value to the lowest. This could give the impression that the CI is moving more than the Stochastics.

Plot them in seperate windows and notice the scale difference. There is no way to force the scale of the CI to be 0-100.

- Craig
Here to Help!