Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

wilder RSI indicator Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
tom32841
Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2005 10:37:49 PM
Are there any video's that explain the meaning/use Wilder RSI or similar indicator ?
Thanks,
Tom
Doug_H
Posted : Saturday, August 6, 2005 11:23:58 PM

Worden Trainer

We don't have one yet, but some work has already been done on getting one out for RSI. In the meantime, if you haven't seen the other indicator videos, you might be interested in these:

Understanding Moving Averages - Part I, The Basics
Understanding Moving Averages - Part II, Using Multiple Averages
Understanding MACD
Understanding Stochastics

Also, if you click on the books and videos tab above, you'll find information about several videos that teach the Worden proprietary indicators: Moneystream, Balance of Power, and Time Segmented Volume. While these videos are for sale, they do come with a full one-year money back guarantee, in case you find that they were not what you were looking for.

Thanks for your interest in indicator videos. We hope to get more out there before long.

- Doug
Teaching Online!
Craig_S
Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2005 8:02:09 AM

Worden Trainer

Wilder's RSI compares the size of the up and down moves of the stock within a given period. There is some smoothing and averaging going on but you can think of it this way:

When RSI is over 50, the size of the up moves are greater than the size of the down moves. When it is below 50 the opposite is true.

I did some work on an Understanding video for RSI but I've decided to scrap the idea. The compound averaging makes explaining the math behind the indicator pretty complicated. This leaves the basics of the indicator which I reveal in the previous paragraph. I see no reasone to make a video when you can summarize an indicator in two sentences.

- Craig
Here to Help!
shatterd
Posted : Sunday, August 7, 2005 1:12:35 PM
QUOTE (Craig_S)
Wilder's RSI compares the size of the up and down moves of the stock within a given period. There is some smoothing and averaging going on but you can think of it this way:

When RSI is over 50, the size of the up moves are greater than the size of the down moves. When it is below 50 the opposite is true.

I did some work on an Understanding video for RSI but I've decided to scrap the idea. The compound averaging makes explaining the math behind the indicator pretty complicated. This leaves the basics of the indicator which I reveal in the previous paragraph. I see no reasone to make a video when you can summarize an indicator in two sentences.

Craig...I think you have summed up the RSI indicator very well. it really is as simple as that. It's basically a smoothed momentum indicator that solves the volatility issues with non smoothed momentum indicators such as the ROC(rate of change) and the simple momentum indicator. The smoothed nature of the RSI lends itself well to pattern and trendline analysis. It's by far the best momentum indicator..IMO.

I think you did the right thing by scrapping the project.
Craig_S
Posted : Monday, August 8, 2005 8:05:34 AM

Worden Trainer

It was tough to let the video go. The Understanding video series will continue but I could not see RSI fitting into the style of the video.

Thanks for the kind words.

- Craig
Here to Help!