Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

A Support & Resistance Story Problem Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
traderlady
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 11:37:13 AM

Let's take a look at TROX on a chart set the Hourly.  From 3:00 to 4:00 PM EST yesterday, the Open was $23.39 and the Close was $23.38 (a very-near-Doji).

Now let's switch top a chart set to 1-minute.  See the large move down on the first 1-minute candle -- as well as the large Volume.

Let's suppose that a agile intraday trader sees the Exponential Moving Averages spreading down (34, 21, 13, & 8)  -- and s/he dares to go short at the mid-range of the second 1-minute candle  ($22.88 & $22.97) -- about $22.925 per share.

The math: 22.88 + 22.97/2=22.925

Now the question becomes where to exit?  And possibly quickly!

Now please focus on the tenth through the ninth through eleventh 1-minute candles.

Notice the Support/Resistance Line that has formed between these three candles.

The Close of candle #9 is $22.07.  The Open of candle #10 is also $22.07.  The Open of candle #11 is $22.07 as well. 

VOILA!  (There it is!)  An extremely short-term Support & Resistance Line -- but so what!

You're aware that Price has pulled away from (below) your moving averages.  (Good.)

Between the mid-range entry at $25.925 and this Support & Resistance Line at $22.07, the potential profit is already $0.855 per share in ten minutes.

I would like to place a Custom PCF on my 1-minute Chart to alert me as to this Support & Resistance Line.  So, I can code this and place it on my chart as this:

C2=O1 and O1=O

Now, why did I go to all this trouble to write this narrative?

Well, it's because I need Bruce, again.

Between the Opens and the Closes (not even considering the Highs and the Lows), there must be many combinations of how things can work over a three day period.

Is there any way you, Bruce, can codes these possibilities?

Thanks again for your brain power, Bruce.

Sincerely, traderlady

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:10:21 PM

Worden Trainer

Even after the story problem example I don't really understantd.

So over the course of 3 bars, you want at least 3 out of the 6 opens and closes to match? Or do you want at least 3 out of the 12 opens, highs, lows, and closes to match? Or something else?

And then you want a spike on the chart when this is true? Or a dot on the chart at the value? Or a continuing line plotting out at that value? Or something else?

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
traderlady
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 12:48:19 PM

I am placing these 3-bar-S&R-patterns as Custom PCF % True on my chart.  Each 3-bar-S&R pattern would probably have to be placed as a separate plot (or on a separate chart).

A SECOND EXAMPLE IS AOBC TODAY:

Following a True Doji in the last hour yesterday, on a 1-minute chart AOBC opens up strongly with a higher Volume Bar than yesterday's closing 1-minute Volume Bar.

Assumed Intraday Entry is at 1-minute candle #2 at $15.275 (mid-candle). 

Exit Signal is the 1-minute Support & Resistance Line formed at 1-minute candles ten through twelve.

Candle #10 closes at $16.14.  Candle #11 also closes at $16.14.  Candle #12 opens at $16.14.

Thus, we again have the magic three candle Support and Resistance Line as our Exit Signal.

Assuming an Exit at the next 1-minute candle (candle #13) at $15.90, our profit is estimated at $0.625 per share.

IN CONCLUSION:

The TROX three-bar-S&R-pattern is:

C2=O1 and O1=O (all equal at $22.07)

Whereas the AOBC three-bar-S&R-pattern is:

C2=C1 and C1=O (all equal at 16.04)

We have two of the 3-bar-S&R-patterns that are possible as examples, but there are other combinations of three bars that can make up S&R levels.

I haven't figured all of them out, and am hoping you can help me with this conundrum of how many combinations are possible.

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:08:13 PM

Worden Trainer

I don't really know what you want to count. Maybe the following?

O = O1 AND O1 = O2
O = O1 AND O1 = C2
O = C1 AND C1 = O2
O = C1 AND C1 = C2
C = O1 AND O1 = O2
C = O1 AND O1 = C2
C = C1 AND C1 = O2
C = C1 AND C1 = C2

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
traderlady
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:08:59 PM

I see the error of my ways in using AOBC as an example for today.  The trade I described actually took place in the last half hour yesterday.  (Forgot to be in real-time streaming.)

traderlady
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:13:22 PM

Yes, that is helpful.  I am not actually counting, just finding 1-minute S&R that takes place over three consecutive bars. 

Can't do this with just two bars as the occurrances are much too frequent.  For agile trades at the open, the three bars seem to work.

Maybe it's because the market has been slow yesterday and today. 

We'll see as I continue to experiment and test with the combos you've provided.

Thanks!

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2017 1:15:35 PM

Worden Trainer

You're welcome.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles