Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Specific Sector Scans Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Skeeva
Posted : Sunday, July 23, 2017 5:01:07 PM

Hi Bruce, 

Your help has been amazing!  I've been looking at videos and trying to figure this out, but it's not making a lot of sense on how to do this and I was hoping you could help.. 

I want to create the following scans and not sure how to do it-

#1)  Have a Scan of all the sectors to identify the top 3 performing sectors for the last two months.

#2)  Scan each of those sectors (individually) to identify the top 4 performing stocks over the last two months for each sector.  

I'm assuming that after #1 I can just pull the sector into a watchlist and sort by %Change?  Right?

But I don't know what the easiest way is or if thre is a PCF I could write that would search for the top 3 performing sectors?  

Any help would be appreciated! 

Bruce_L
Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 1:01:35 PM

Worden Trainer

You can't really scan for this. All you can do is sort the sectors by something like percent change (or whatever other proxy you want to use for performance).

Open up the top three sectors and sort those, copying the top 4 stocks into Personal WatchList (or flagging those symbols) and then sorting the result.

There is a Pre-Built Layout called DrillDown which can be useful for this.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Skeeva
Posted : Monday, July 24, 2017 6:54:04 PM

OK, thanks for getting back to me.  So, this may be a stupid question, but how do I Sort the sectors for a two month period?

I'm going to the drill down and looking at sector indexes, but then when I open one and choose custom date sort and plot it on the chart it is pulling up a sorted list of stocks that are in that sector.  

But what I wanted to do first is to do a 2 month sorted list by sectors then sort by %change 

Is that possible?

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, July 25, 2017 10:04:46 AM

Worden Trainer

I would probably add Rate of Change Percent (ROC%) WatchList Columns to the three existing WatchLists instead.

Click on the Add Column icon (+ in an orange circle near the top of the WatchList) and start typing "Rate of Change Percent" (without the quotes) in the search bar.

This should quickly bring the Rate of Change Percent near the top of the list so you can select it.

Choose Add as value column.

Now click on Rate of Change % in the Available indicators box to edit its settings. You probably want to use a period of 42 for your two month version and 21 for your one month version (assuming you leave the TimeFrame set to Daily).

If you want to use a monthly time frame, you could set the periods to 2 and 1, but the most recent month would be the month to date and not an entire month.

You will at least want to add the 2 month WatchList Column to the Sector Indexes section and the 1 month WatchList Column to the WatchList on the right with the list of stocks, but you could add other WL Columns as well.

You can click on the name of the WatchList Column at the top of the new WatchList Column to use it as a sort.

DrillDown Layout

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles