Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Historical Week Price Movement Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Skeeva
Posted : Tuesday, July 11, 2017 10:30:58 PM

Hi Bruce, 

I apologize if this question has been answered before.  I was looking through the forum and could not find a question like it. 

I want to know if it is possible and if so, what the PCF or scan would look like to determine the following:

I want to look back over the last year in weekly increments (M-F) to see if a particular stock price moved at least 10% or more in a given week.   I also would like to identify the weeks that it made the moves, if possible.. 

If that is not possible, is it possible to look back to the week (M-F) exactly one year ago from today and determine the percentage price move of a stock or at least tell if it moved 10% or more. 

Thanks so much for the time!

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, July 12, 2017 9:17:28 AM

Worden Trainer

I am not sure if you want to define "move" as a percent change:

100 * ABS(C / C1 - 1) >= 10

A range:

100 * (H / L - 1) >= 10

Or a true range (v17 formula):

100 * ATR / C1 >= 10

But you can use the desired formula as the Boolean Formula in a Custom PCF % True Indicator to plot spikes on a weekly chart to look back and see which bars met the requirements.

You could also put the desired formula inside a CountTrue function in TC2000 v17 to find out if it was true at least once during the most recent 52 bars. For example, the following would use true range (you would want to set it to a weekly time frame).

CountTrue(100 * ATR / C1 >= 10, 52) > 0

Or just return a count of the number of weeks it was true by leaving off the > 0 at the end.

CountTrue(100 * ATR / C1 >= 10, 52)

You could put either of the other two formulas in place of 100 * ATR / C1 >= 10 instead.

Checking for the true range from 52 weeks ago meeting the requirements would involve setting the bars ago parameters to 52 using a weekly time frame. So the following would check for a percent change.

100 * (C52 / C53 - 1) >= 10

The following would check for range:

100 * (H52 / L52 - 1) >= 10

And the following would check for true range:

100 * (ATR1.52 / C53 - 1) >= 10

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles