Download software Tutorial videos
Subscription & data-feed pricing Class schedule

New account application Trading resources
Margin rates Stock & option commissions

Attention: Discussion forums are read-only for extended maintenance until further notice.
Welcome Guest, please sign in to participate in a discussion. Search | Active Topics |

Near VWAP alert / Scan Rate this Topic:
Previous Topic · Next Topic Watch this topic · Print this topic ·
Tann3r
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:27:01 AM

Because I like VWAP plays, I want a way to be alerted if I'm watching a particular stock for a pullback when it gets close to VWAP... I understand that there's a PRICE xUP VWAP 5MIN, but what I'd like to do is to be alerted when it gets close to VWAP (so an advanced notice) and I'd also like to use the condition in a scan as well - both for long and short varients. Is this possible? I tried to looking at past threads and even writing my own formula to no avail. Thank you in advance! 

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:33:59 AM

Worden Trainer

Add a 1 period envelope channel to the VWAP indicator and then set the Width (%) setting to an arbitrarily narrow value which you would see as being "close to VWAP" (with 1.00 being 1%).

You can then create a condition based on where price is relative to the enevlope channel instead of the VWAP itself.

-Bruce
Personal Criteria Formulas
TC2000 Support Articles
Tann3r
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:40:03 AM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

Add a 1 period envelope channel to the VWAP indicator and then set the Width setting to an arbitrarily narrow value which you would see as being "close to VWAP" (with 1.00 being 1%).

You can then create a condition based on where price is relative to the enevlope channel instead of the VWAP itself.

Perfect, thank you. I'd want to do +/- 1.5%, I'm still having a litte trouble writing it though, is there any way you could provide me with the formula? Thank you so much! 

Tann3r
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:44:26 AM

Sorry, I meant .5%, shouldn't matter much as that will be easy to change (just couldn't figure out how to edit my post)

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:45:00 AM

Worden Trainer

Unless it is a Moving VWAP, you can't do it as a formula, which is one of the reasons I suggested adding the 1 period Envelope Channel indicator to the VWAP indicator on the chart.

You will create the condition by clicking on either price or the Envelope Channels and selecting Create Scan Condition.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Tann3r
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:53:15 AM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

Unless it is a Moving VWAP, you can't do it as a formula, which is one of the reasons I suggested adding the Envelope Channel indicator to the VWAP indicator on the chart.

You will create the condition by clicking on either price or the Envelope Channels and selecting Create Scan Condition.

Oh, okay... I added it, but it doens't follow alonge with VWAP at all really. Instead it is either above, below or almost moves independent based on the selected period. 

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:55:23 AM

Worden Trainer

Make sure the period is set to 1 and that it was added to the VWAP. Then it should follow the VWAP exactly.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
Tann3r
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:33:50 AM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

Make sure the period is set to 1 and that it was added to the VWAP. Then it should follow the VWAP exactly.

Oh, okay got it! Thank you so much - this is really awesome! I can't quite figure out how to set an alert based on that though... Sorry for all the questions. 

Bruce_L
Posted : Tuesday, March 21, 2017 11:50:50 AM

Worden Trainer

If you are creating a condition, click on the envelope channel and select Create Scan Condition.

If you are creating an alert, click on the envelope channel and select Set Alert.

Go to the Price History vs Envelope Channel section and there will be a variety of conditions listed comparing price to the envelope channels.

If you just want price to be inside the channels, choose Channel Position Range Envelope Channel and set the rangefinder to -100 Channel Bottom to +100 Channel Top.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles
mikehoncho
Posted : Tuesday, June 27, 2017 11:29:19 PM

QUOTE (Bruce_L)

If you are creating a condition, click on the envelope channel and select Create Scan Condition.

Go to the Price History vs Envelope Channel section and there will be a variety of conditions listed comparing price to the envelope channels.

If you just want price to be inside the channels, choose Channel Position Range Envelope Channel and set the rangefinder to -100 Channel Bottom to +100 Channel Top.

Bruce,

I did as detailed above but it doesnt set as column in my easy scan once completed. Not sure if I'm missing something

Bruce_L
Posted : Wednesday, June 28, 2017 9:09:39 AM

Worden Trainer

In TC2000 v17, you would select + Add to... at the bottom of Create Scan Condition window. Then choose Add Column in the WatchList or EasyScan to which you want to add the condition as a WatchList Column.

-Bruce
TC2000 Support Articles